Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another contraceptive question!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hopefully with a nice simple answer.

I'm off to the doctors sometime this week and I'm forseeing her wanting to change my contraception. Now, this is fine by me except for the vain part of me that's worried about putting on/losing weight.

I don't want to gain weight, lose weight, get bigger boobs, get smaller boobs. I am quite happy as I am. But I'm reluctant to say this at the doctors 'cos obviously I should be prioritising my health over anything else.

Sooo, does anyone know if it's actually the hormones that make you lose/gain weight, or if they just increase/decrease your appetite? And is there actually any weight-change-proof oestrogen-free contraceptive out there, or am I just gonna have to keep trying different contraceptives forever more? :(

Comments

• Options
    I don't know the answer to your original question but I don't think it is unreasonable to explain this to your GP and ask them to bear these wishes in mind as one aspect to consider.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i dont think it is unreasonable either. you are choosing a contraceptive, it should be right for you...and if you gain weight, lose weight etc, you will become unhappy, and in the long run may cause you problems. id explain to the doctor your concerns, theyre very good...they have to deal with demanding little me on a 3 monthly basis! :p
  • Options
    when i went the to docs to get the pill, i saw a locum. he asked if id been on one before i said yes, 3 years ago. he hadnt even heard of that one before and opened the book and selcted the obvious- microgynon. didnt consider anything.
  • Options
    you should be able to tell them your concerns - particularly if you go to a contraceptive clinic, they will be used to hearing things like that and it does make a big difference.
    some contraceptives can make people put on weight (this has happened to me when i was on the combined pill years ago and this year when i tried the patch) i dont know if it is the hormones doing it or increased appetite but for the large amount of weight i put on in such a short space of time, I think it mustve been more than just eating more.
    you could try the mini-pill, since the hormones are different. I used to be on that and i didnt gain weight. and a friend of mine told me there is a new type of progesterone only coil that is out now too but i dont know much about it.
  • Options
    Ta muchly, girls. Reading back on the OP I didn't give anyone much of a clue what I was on or owt, did I!

I was on the mini-pill and I'd been bleeding every two weeks or more for about a year now (two different brands), but I'd been putting it down to stress or changing the brand or this or that or the other.

Soooo, I've been taken off that to see what happens when I'm not having all these extra hormones, to see if I'm bleeding cos of the mini-pill (she reckons if I am, then it means I'll have the same problem with the implant, injection, whatever else) or if it's something more serious.

So if my boobs shrink, I'm sending her the bill for my new bras :grump:
  • Options
    The doctors always get a bit shitty if you say anything other than the norm. I told my doctor I wouldnt use an inhalor thing for giving up smoking as I would look like a fool going outside and puffing on some pen and she gave me the filthiest look ever.