Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ouccchhh

Ok, so I've been meaning to go to the dentists for many many months now.

I think I need some fillins because like, everytime I eat sugar I'm in agony but I've been avoiding it as I have a terrible phobia of dentists and needles (ok, laugh)

Ok, so well, this is my problem to be honest. I'm a student. I am stupidly skint at the moment and gahh.

I've been on the University website and its says that I will have to pay for all dental work.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/student_services/health/dentist.htm

Is this right?

How much are fillins? Appointments?

I can't afford much.

They really need doing though :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You mean fillings?! ;)

Go to the Manchester University Dental Hospital... if you're prepared to wait a stupid amount of time REALLY early in the morning, then you can get seen to for free.

ETA - and really, don't leave them any longer, or you'll end up needing root canal fillings like me and they're 1 - expensive and 2 - really painful. One side of my mouth swelled up like a golfball, I looked well attractive.
  • Options
    Haha, yeah sorry fillings.

Manchester University Dental Hospital?

I don't go that University. Won't I have to have student ID for that Uni to be seen?

Also, will they do fillings for free or any other treatment?
  • Options
    Haha, yeah sorry fillings.

Manchester University Dental Hospital?

I don't go that University. Won't I have to have student ID for that Uni to be seen?

Also, will they do fillings for free or any other treatment?

My mate and her Mum went... neither of them are students. They're mainly student dentists but they only work under the supervision of trained experienced dentists. If it's complicated work, then the experienced dentists take over and do the work.

But like I said... expect to get there REALLY early and wait a while. As far as I know they do everything free - the service is mainly for people who aren't registered at a dentist or are a bit on the skint side.

I'm sure there'll be something on the net about it. Next time I see my mate I'll ask her!
  • Options
    Student dentists? :eek:

I'm already scared of them!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    for a check up its about £15, then its £40.50 for fillings, check up+scale+polish. they've kinda grouped the treatments into payment bands.
    i went recently+am terrified, but its gotta be done!
  • Options
    Student dentists? :eek:

I'm already scared of them!!!!!!!!!!

They have to learn - and practise - somehow, don't they! I wouldn't worry about it, they'll be highly supervised as was already said -- so I wouldn't worry about them drilling a hole in the roof of your mouth or anything :p
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    If you prefer to go with a non-student dentist, NHS Direct has information about who can access dental services free of charge and the prices for those who can't. You'll need to contact your local primary care trust.

Most of us don't enjoy going to the dentist (!) but it's not generally as bad as we think it will be. If your friends have recommendations of dentists with a good 'chairside manner', that always helps. Definitely worthwhile sorting out those cavities now rather than later. But you knew that. ;)
  • Options
    Haha. I know but I'm just so scared of them.

I know I sound really really stupid but :crying: I just don't like them. I think I've needed these fillings for about a year tbh. Its just, its got too painful to eat now.
  • Options
    i went this afternoon (to a normal dentist) turns out my teeth are fine :D:p
    Just go to the dentist snow white queen (am i aloud to use your old name? its so much easier) get it over and done with. yes dentists suck but i have the biggest fear of dentists ever and will do almost anything to avoid going but once its done with you dont have to worry again for another 6 months!
  • Options
    Hahahaha. Another 6 months?

I don't even have a dentist!

Hmmm this HC1 form? Are students entitled to fill it in? I mean, I am on low income. I am entitled to the full loan and full grant and shit so will I be entitled to free prescriptions and dental work? Also, how long does it take to receive ur HC2 certificate once you've filled the form in?
  • Options
    it doesnt cover dental work as such.
    I thought the same thing but aparently that hc1 form only covers dental and normal prescriptions
  • Options
    So just dental appointments then?

I don't know if its worth me applying for this.

Don't even know how long it will take to come through.
  • Options
    its probably not even worth the form filling time unless you end up needing some kind of medicinal treatment in which case just fill it in then i guess
  • Options
    Hmmm. It says something about using the form to get a refund though so if I got treatment next week, I'd get a refund for it?

Hmm, I wouldn't usually be so bothered but I'm just stupidly skint at the moment and have to pay £1400 on the 4th September for this terms accomodation fees :(
  • Options
    i spoke to a pharmacist in the chemist earlier and asked him the same but he just laughed at me and said theres no way i'd get free dental work with it.
    just free prescriptions i think so if i needed anti's or something then i could show them the certificate.

As for the accomodation - wont your loan cover that? you should be able to hold off the payment date if you explain to them that your loan hasnt come through yet...
  • Options
    Oooo well I'm dating a pharmacist at the minute so I'll ask him tomorrow night when I see him!!! Hahahahaha.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    i spoke to a pharmacist in the chemist earlier and asked him the same but he just laughed at me and said theres no way i'd get free dental work with it.
    just free prescriptions i think so if i needed anti's or something then i could show them the certificate.

As for the accomodation - wont your loan cover that? you should be able to hold off the payment date if you explain to them that your loan hasnt come through yet...
    I spoke to my landlord yesterday and she fobbed me off with loads of reasons why I've got to pay for the rent a month early. My loan isn't coming through till the end of Sept/early Oct and I've got the pay the rent from Sept-New Year on Sept 4th. Tis shit really.

I aint got the cash.

I'll have £300 left outta my loan/grant after my accomodation fees to live off for this term and I'll probably spend all of that on new books (thats what I usually spend, I'm studying law)

This is why I work so much :)
  • Options
    have you considered looking into sponsership?

ETA: and it sounds as if your landlord is full of shit, tell her to either accept payment when your loan comes through or find a new tennant, then get your uni to find you a better place to live!
  • Options
    To be honest, she's got a pretty good argument.

I've paid my rent up to that date.

I can't keep staying here without paying the rent.

As for sponsership, I won't be able to get that. I may be entitled to a piece of the access to learning fund. I'll have to look into it.
  • Options
    i wasn't able to get help with prescriptions etc. apparantly earning £200 a month is enough.
  • Options
    i wasn't able to get help with prescriptions etc. apparantly earning £200 a month is enough.
    Seriously?

Gawd. Thats awful if you have alot on prescription or need dental work done.
  • Options
    seriously.

i had a chest infection and an ear infection and had numerous sets of antibiotics and other medicines in feb. cost me about £30. other than infections it's just around hayfever time that i end up forking out but i don't mind. i earn money so i should be able to look after myself.

i haven't had to have any work on my teeth other than just check-ups since i had to start paying.
  • Options
    I thought you got your prescriptions for like 6 or something?

Beats 30 for one thing of pills though :p

But back to the teeth, I hope you've learned your lesson, go to the dentist as you are supposed to and avoid all of this mess, and the lump sum of costs :yes:

No advice for you on cheap dentists though, sorry.
  • Options
    yeh prescriptions are £6 something.
  • Options
    Oh I missed the word "various" in the previous post :o I understand now, thanks.
  • Options
    haha no i would've had to stay poorly if they were £30 a pop!
  • Options
    How much you pay for NHS dental work depends on your income etc. If you are on suffuciently low income then you can get free dental work, ring up the dentist and ask how it works, although I'm fairly sure it's the HC1 form you need. How quick they are varies, but if you pay and keep your recepit then you can claim it back within 6 months.
  • Options
    I don't get income. Ok, with my part time job at uni its about £50-£60 a week! Its barely anything!!!

GAH. I can't be arsed.
  • Options
    If you can find an NHS dentist you should bloody go asap! They are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Also, don't leave it, or you will end up like moi needing 10 fillings in one fell swoop. Not my finest hour. :grump:
  • Options
    I don't get income. Ok, with my part time job at uni its about £50-£60 a week! Its barely anything!!!

GAH. I can't be arsed.

but at the moment you're earning more than that they'll take that into account.