Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm back!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From Nepal with like a million stories to tell...

Ahh Sel is all grown up.

Hey lucky we flew out a day before all that terrorist business.

Comments

• Options
    :yippe:

and i'm leaving tomorrow! :(
  • Options
    Where to?
  • Options
    hey, welcome back! :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    hey love, welcome back...do tell these stories!
  • Options
    Where to?
    off to gosport for a week, then going over to bournemouth for another week. My results come while i'm there so if they're any good i'll see if i can post them!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Ahh Sel is all grown up.

:thumb: Luck as it gets. Hand luggage problems ;o

Stories eh? Sounds good! Nepal must have been ACE, it really sounds a brill place to visit. So much History there... so much to see and experience!
  • Options
    Welcome back!
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster

Ahh Sel is all grown up.

Namaste :D
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Welcome back!

Glad you had a good time!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hey, nice to see you back! :wave:
  • Options
    Hiya.

Sounds like you had an interesting, eventful time. So, what did you get up to? How "all grown up" now- life changing experiences?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Hiya.

Sounds like you had an interesting, eventful time. So, what did you get up to? How "all grown up" now- life changing experiences?
    Been up to a lot, mainly working/teaching/playing/running workshops with young women who were trafficked to Indian circuses. Basically they send out agents with phony contracts to target poorly educated families (in many cases I mean) by leading them to believe that their children will be treated like a 'Bollywood Star' and well paid. Nepal is the second poorest country in Asia and in that sense it makes families much more vilnerable to people wishing to take advantage of them in such a manner.

The girls are rescued by some remarkable men, most of whom used to be ringmasters themselves and are brought to refuges run by the Esther Benjamin Trust and the Nepal Child Welfare Foundation. Here they are educated and taught new skills to help them re-integrate in to society as best possible. The people who run this are fantastic... Truelly inspiring. :)

It taught me a lot... I take less things for granted now and know for sure that I want to progress to do a masters in development and go and work with either development or human rights. The girls in the refuge in Hetauda were beautiful people. After all they've been through, you'd think that they would be frightened of people, yet they took us in as members of their own family. I feel ashamed in a way because I have never been trafficked, raped, beaten up, forced to walk tightropes and kept like an animal and I lost a lot of faith in the goodness of human nature through life experiences that are tiny compared to what some of these young women have experienced. For example a friend stabs you in the back...

Working with an NGO completely changes you as a person, it changed us all. At times it was very emotionally hard (and people who know me know I don't show or admit to sadness that often), at other times it was charming.

I am so greatful to be alive, I'm so happy to have met such wonderful people and to have travelled with some amazing students and to have such beautiful friends back home!
  • Options
    Whoah, sounds amazing. It's always odd when you have a life changing experience, to look back at how you used to think and view the world and wonder, well just wonder. Sounds like youve come back with a new view and fresh focus. Did you take any photos?