Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flirting with an older man...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, this is going to sound weird but please bear with me.

I'm 23, I work in a supermarket and there's this man that comes in every night to shop. He's probably in his mid-40's, but very good looking and friendly. He always stops to say hi/talk to everyone that works here, and usually spends quite a lot of time talking to me. It started off as the occasional hello, then he started asking about me, then moved onto asking if I was single and when I said I was, saying it's unbelievable that someone as pretty as me could be single (which to me, is a classic thing men say to get you into bed, but I guess he could just have been being friendly).

I don't mind the banter/flirting, and banter back to him, but up until now I haven't really flirted with him. I see no harm in flirting, and I usually have a bit of a light flirt with most people because we both know there's nothing in it. But this guy is much older, and I know he's married (he mentioned that the other day in a "oh, my wife and kids like that" (with a flick of his hand as if to brush aside the comment) kind of way, when I said I hated some food...can't really remember the details! lol). I'm a really flirty person, so it's hard for me to hold that side of myself back when he's talking to me, especially as he's so good looking (btw I don't want anything to happen between us; he's married and I'm not the type to have affairs), but I'm worried that if I flirt I'd make him uncomfortable or he'd take it the wrong way.

How can I tell if his flirtiness is just light flirting that doesn't mean anything, or if he fancies me (because if he likes me in 'that' way, obviously I'm not going to flirt with him!).
He always talks to me, and occasionally will say stuff like; (after staring at me intensely for a long time) "you've got really beautiful blue eyes", or "I bet you look good out of your uniform...really hot". Normally I'd make a joke or it and say something mildly flirty back, but I'm not sure if this guy means what he's saying, or if he's just flirting in a friendly kind of way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    If you don't care as much as you reckon, why do you care what sort of flirting it is?

I doubt he's being 100% serious, he isn't going to dump his wife and kids for you, but of course he's going to enjoy the game, and play as well as he can. What a confidence booster for him, some pretty young thing giving him the glad eye over the counter.

I think he's being somewhere between friendly and sexy. He'd never act on it, and you'd be a fool to act on it, but of course he wants to know if he's still got the old magic. I doubt you are going to make him run away, but just remember its only a game.
  • Options
    Well it's because I'm not the affair-type at all, and I don't want to give him the wrong impression.

If he's doing it because he fancies me and wants to see if he *could* get me into bed, then I wouldn't flirt with him in case he gets the wrong impression.

But, if he's doing it for the reason most people flirt - for the attention, a confidence boost etc then that's fine with me, and I'll be my usual flirty self! Lol.

That make sense?

Btw I don't flirt at all with him - I say hi, ask how he is and if he starts saying stuff like "I'd love to see you out of your work uniform" then I usually smile then just get the hell away from him! Lol. (Not in an obvious way though).
  • Options
    As kermit said, if youre not bothered if he means this flirting or not then why are you taking the time to post questions like this on a messageboard?
    I'll also have to agree that hes probably just after a bit of a confidence boost and its highly unlikely he will leave his family for you.
    If you're not bothered then dont flirt with him its not that hard.
  • Options
    Ok maybe I'm not explaining myself very well; I don't want this guy to leave his family, I don't want to have sex with him or anything like that, but normally if a guy says something like "I bet you look hot out of your uniform" then I'd make a joke out of it and flirt back.

But with this guy, when he said that to me I didn't want to give him the wrong impression in case it made him feel uncomfortable, or he thought I fancied him or something.

By 'fllirting with him', I don't mean actively going over to him and touching his arm, flicking my hair or anything like that, I just mean I'm not sure how to respond to his mildly flirty comments. Lol.

Am I making any sense here?
  • Options
    Kind of. You have to make it clear tat you're not intereted in him.
  • Options
    ok, but as im sure you are aware he's not exaclty being very subtle here. he might as well say 'i'd like to take you outside and fuck you over my car'.
    'i bet you'd look hot out of your uniform' - how can you possibly make him feel uncomfortable by replying to that? i dont think it matters what you say he's not really got a leg to stand on if you make him upset by replying
  • Options
    That's what's worrying me though (well not 'worrying', but you know).

I don't mind getting attention, and I love flirting - it passes time, gives you a confidence boost and all that; but if this guy is flirting in that way because he thinks he's gonna get some sex out of it, then I'm not gonna encourage that.
    I'm very anti-affairs.

So in your opinion do you think he wants to get me into bed (or over the bonnet or his car! lol), or is it just 'light' flirting that doesn't mean anything? He doesn't always say stuff like the 'hot' comment everytime he comes in, soemtimes he says hi and asks if I'm ok, then I'll disappear and when I come back he'll just smile or whatever then say bye and carry on shopping. But other times, he's asked me something then when I look at him, he just keeps up eye contact (properly stares at me!) for ages, then says something like I have lovely eyes. Which to me, is a weird way to act.

I know I'm probably sounding thick/naive but humour me :rolleyes:

Oh, and how do I make it clear I'm not interested in him? I don't just want to come out and say "I don't fancy you", in case he isn't interested in me in 'that' way, and I look like a right lemon! lol.
  • Options
    Hmmm, he does sound like he's liking the attention, certainly wouldn't admit to his wife about it. Don't think it's right, but he's not doing anything wrong by it either.

If a customer was saying those things to me and I was saying them back (i.e. I bet you look hot out of a uniform) the sup. might not be best impressed. I've had some comments before and just used to laugh and go 'yea' or something.
  • Options
    He's just flirting. Even if he would go for it if you offered, you aren't going to. No harm done. flirt away.
  • Options
    Yeah...well he doesn't flirt with me in front of my colleagues or supervisor, in fact he's been saying something to me before, then suddenly stopped what he was saying when my supervisor walked past which felt a bit weird.

That's why I'm a bit - I don't know its hard to explain...it just feels weird to flirt with him, but it doesnt feel right to just ignore him either.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    ok, but as im sure you are aware he's not exaclty being very subtle here. he might as well say 'i'd like to take you outside and fuck you over my car'.

I don't think he is, to be honest.

I think he's playing, just to see if he still has the magic. I think he's just testing himself, to see if he could do it, if he wanted to.

If it's just a game, as it sounds like it is, I would gently flirt back, but don't be too friendly. Flirting a little is fun, but if he looks like he's doing it too much, step back away from it all. You don't want to collect a stalker.

If you think you might be giving him the wrong idea tone it down a bit.
  • Options
    Is it obvious I'm attracted to him?! Lol...ok maybe I am, but it's just the fact I don't want to lead him on/make him think he's going to get anything out of me.

Otherwise I'd flirt and enjoy it.
This discussion has been closed.