Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Period Pains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I seem to get really bad period pains for the first couple of days of my period, then they slowing lessen towards the end. It gets so bad that I just stay in bed all day because it's too much effort to move. I take pain killers but they have little effect, and I don't like the idea of taking too many of them. Does anyone have any more advice on how to reduce the pain, because I can't keep staying in bed for a couple of days every month?

Comments

• Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this? You could put a hot water bottle over your stomach, that usually helps me.
  • Options
    I had horiffic period pain a few years back, so the doctor suggested I go on the pill to see if it would help reduce symptoms. It had the desired effect and now my periods are lighter and hardly painful at all (unfortunately I'm still stupidly hormonal) but it's definitely worth having a go.

Are you on the pill? Is it an option?
  • Options
    its normal to suffer from period pains but its not normal to need to stay in bed all day because of them. you should go see your doctor because you may have a condition called 'endometriosis'.
    also the doctor could put you on the pill for example to reduce the symptoms
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    also the doctor could put you on the pill for example to reduce the symptoms

Do the implants or injections help?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Do the implants or injections help?
    i dont have endometriosis but my sister's doctor suspects that she does. she has had the injection recently and for the first time ever shes had barely any pain.
  • Options
    Go to the doctors about it. There's loads of options, like other people have said there's contraceptives that can help, or if you're not keen on those then you could be prescribed stronger painkillers designed to deal with period pains. And again, like other people have said it's worth going to see a doctor just to check that it's not symptoms of something more serious.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    as well as going to the doctor as everyone has suggested, try rubbing some deep heat on your tummy. its like a permanent hot water bottle, it is fantastic stuff. i use it whenever they get bad, but you do stink for a while :p
  • Options
    It sounds childish but I've always been nervous about going to the doctor's :nervous: , but I'll give it a go. I'd heard about the pill, but I wasn't sure, so thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    gentle excerise is suppose to help i find going for a long walk takes pain away well while your walking it does. or either going to the gym doing gentle excerise is fanstic i think oh and how water bottles helps for a while
  • Options
    sorry to hijack but does anyone else get dodgy bowels when you're on your period?
  • Options
    sorry to hijack but does anyone else get dodgy bowels when you're on your period?
    yes its to do with the increase in progesterone which loosens your bowels.
  • Options
    ahhh good so i'm not abnormal! cheers. :)
  • Options
    ^^I get that too, nothing to worry about. :thumb:
  • Options

:yes:
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    gentle excerise is suppose to help i find going for a long walk takes pain away well while your walking it does. or either going to the gym doing gentle excerise is fanstic i think oh and how water bottles helps for a while

This helps me as well, but sometimes it can be far too pain to actually do anything. And I get told off if I'm lay on the sofa. beuse of the pain I'm sometimes in)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Probably a good idea to go and talk to your doctor, period pains that are that bad can be a sign somethings not right so it's worth checking it out.

Your doc could prescribe you stronger painkillers as well as put you on the pill... and also you could try out a TENS machine, or ladycare magnet.
    Hot and cold pressure pads can help (and the hot ones can be more practical than a hotwater bottle cos you can stick them on and move around and forget about it...)
    And also wheatbags can help some women too.

Sorry if you don't know what any of these are but I'm sure you can find out on google... I'm not sure I could explain well enough. :)