Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Grandparents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Aren't Grandparents loopy?

Went out for a meal with mine today and my Grandad was adamant that he wanted a Chicken salad. After about 10 minutes of reminding him that he did not like chicken or lettuce, he still ordered it. He then proceeded to tell us all how disgusting it was and how he is annoyed that we 'made' him eat it.

My Grandmother is just as bad. She has a tendency to put dirty laundry in the dishwasher and when the phone rings; picks up the remote control.

Really strange, since they are only occasionally like this. Most of the time they are fine.

What strange things does your Grandparent(s) do?

Comments

• Options
    Well mine are all dead, but my Grand Ma (Violet) was great fun. Typical convo in her nursing home.

Mr Smith: Hello Violet. How are you today ?

Violet: Hello Mr Smith, i'm ok ta. How's you ? How's your Enid doing with her bunions ? Tell her i've got that pattern for her when she wants.

Mr Smith Ok then, i'll toddle off now as you've got company.

(Mr smith walks away)

Violet: (to us) Thank god he's pi**ed off, i cant F***ing stand him :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Aside from their hearing not being so good anymore, they're fine.
    Except my grandma thinking that every other car is going to crash into ours, but that's not because of the age.
  • Options
    I don't have any left.
    Do you find they have certain smells though? When i was working friday some old man came through the checkout and smelt just like my granddad did, it was nice if you kwim lol.
    Oh i just remembered, my grandad used to shake the car (three wheeler) before driving off to shake the lumps out the petrol :lol:
  • Options
    Mine do not have that 'old people' smell. My Grandad is one of the biggest story tellers I know. It entertains me for hours! Although they are both 70, they still go out and about; to the local pub for a meal, park with grandchildren etc. They are not dependant yet. They do not seem old to me.
  • Options
    I loved my Grandparents when they were alive, well my Dad's side anyway. My 'grandad' on my mum's side is a cunt who's unfortunately still walking the planet. I haven't spoken to him since I was a child. :yuck:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    kwim
    after the past week or so i have finally twigged as to what the hell kwim is! :blush:

i am lucky, and still have 3 left, my grandad D is hilarious, and just cracks the most unfunny jokes, but makes them sound top notch! he is 'apparently' as blind as a bat and as 'deaf' as a door knob, but yet tells you when you have put on weight, and shouts at you if you whisper during an everton match :rolleyes: bless him though, makes me chuckle!
    my grandma makes up her own songs and tries to convince us that they are from back in the day, but in my 22 years, i have never heard the same song twice.
    and my grandad R just bought a poodle...nuff said!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well mine are all dead, but my Grand Ma (Violet) was great fun. Typical convo in her nursing home.

Mr Smith: Hello Violet. How are you today ?

Violet: Hello Mr Smith, i'm ok ta. How's you ? How's your Enid doing with her bunions ? Tell her i've got that pattern for her when she wants.

Mr Smith Ok then, i'll toddle off now as you've got company.

(Mr smith walks away)

Violet: (to us) Thank god he's pi**ed off, i cant F***ing stand him :D

LOL

like the grandma from catherine tate :D
  • Options
    Ive just got my Nan, and shes great. Shes so funny. Shes 79 and is completely with it, she just says some hilarious things!!!
    She makes sunday dinner for me and me mum every week and she looks after my dog for me sometimes when we're not in. bless her!
  • Options
    answerphone message from my grandma earlier....

"hello, stephanie, i've tried ringing you and your dad had left a message saying "leave a message" so i am."

bless old people and technology!
  • Options
    strange things? hmmm.....nothing. my grandmother sits on her ass all day everyday and drinks her wine and does her crossword puzzles and reads the fuckin newspaper....and then eats some dinner, picks her drunk as up off the kitchen chair and walks her happy ass to her room where she watches TV and drink until she passes out.

not my idea of strange. its more like suicide.