Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please Don't Let Me Get Pregnant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so... yet another contraceptive question!

My boyfriend and I have decided to go for it and although he's done it before, I haven't. Argh. So I'm excited, but a wee bitty scared. If I ended up pregnant, I don't think I could cope with it morally and emotionally if I had to go for an abortion. I can barely afford to fed myself, never mind look after a baby!
So basically, I can't be pregnant.

So how do I go about ensuring that I'm not? Are condoms really enough? Or do I need some kind of pill to be sure? If so, where can I get it? How much will it cost me, and what does it do exactly?

So many questions, I know! I'm sorry! But if anyone has any help or advice they could give, that would be great. Or at least to point me in the direction of some hints and tips, as it were.

Also my boyfriend has told me that his last girlfriend had some kind of chip in her arm that messes around with hormones to deal with contraception. I'd never heard of this before! Not my cuppa tea, but yeah... Has anyone else had this done?

Comments

• Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

Also my boyfriend has told me that his last girlfriend had some kind of chip in her arm that messes around with hormones to deal with contraception. I'd never heard of this before! Not my cuppa tea, but yeah... Has anyone else had this done?

Implant :yes: Yes, I have it. Very good for forgetful people, and isn't affected by (all) anti-biotics (like some other contraceptives are).

Other than that, a trip to your doctors surgery and a chat with the nurse should help. She can give you a range of options and talk you though the benefits of each one :). The pill is certainly very good though, and should you want a hormonal method, as well as condoms then this is probably a safe starting point.

It shouldn't cost anyting, as contraceptives are free on the NHS :)
  • Options
    the pills probably the quickest to get, you can just see your doc and ask for some. But it can take a week before you're protected and you have to wait till you start your period before you can start taking it.
    I'm on the pill but i'm still using condoms aswell at the moment as i'm still getting used to the pill and don't trust it 100% yet. At least with condoms i can see that they're working!
  • Options
    double up condoms and the pill if you want to be extra sure!
  • Options
    condoms u can get free from family planning, and while you're there you could make an appointment to have a chat with a nurse there. all contraceptives are free, so you dont have to pay prescription charges. check this out
    http://www.thesite.org.uk/sexandrelationships/safersex/contraception/contraceptionoverview
  • Options
    double up condoms and the pill if you want to be extra sure!

:yes: Tis what I do. Its extra safe. And for your contriceptives, there are always plenty of choices.

And hey, if thats not enough, you chould always do the condom, hormonal birth control, a diaphram and some spermacide ;)

As nicx said, take a trip down to your gyno and they can discuss with you all the different types and some combinations, the pros/cons side effects and effectivness and all that jazz.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    the pills probably the quickest to get, you can just see your doc and ask for some.

You can do the same with virtually all contraceptives, not just the pill, albeit for things like the implant you may need to run out to the pharmacist and make an appointment for it to be fitted later in the day.
  • Options
    I was on the patches which I think worked like the pill, you just put one on for the week and changed weekly but not the week you're due on. Not as likely to forget as you are with the pill and if you struggle taking those tihngs then would be easier too. Only thing is they tend to look abit scummy aftera few days.
    I used to have the patches and use nothing else and was never caught out. Tho if you're really paranoid the patch and condoms is always a good idea, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to still get pregnant on both.
  • Options
    I'm on the pill and have been for 8months. I take it before I go to bed, and i've only forgotten a couple of times. I dont use condoms much anymore, as they dont feel as good, but I really shouldnt rely on just one method :S
  • Options
    I really wouldn't recommend the implant or the injection if you have not previously used hormonal contraception, as if they don't agree with you you are stuck with them until they wear out. This is especially important with the injection, which lasts for three months. That's a long time if it makes you a hormonal bitch.

If you go to your local doctor they will be able to advise you on which one is best for you. A lot of people recommend that the Family Planning Clinic is good, but I don't, because I know of at least two people who went to the FPC and were put on the combined pill against all standard medical advice (there was a history of cancer in their family).

Using a condom and a hormonal contraception will keep you safe as can be, as they both have about 98% effectiveness, but the only way you have a 100% chance of not getting pregnant is by not having sex.
  • Options
    Reading all this just reminded me that i forgot to take my pill this morning :blush:

Anyway thanks for the reminder :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I really wouldn't recommend the implant or the injection if you have not previously used hormonal contraception, as if they don't agree with you you are stuck with them until they wear out.

Not true for the implant, it can be removed at any time. But we've all agreed the pill is probably her best bet, I just think everyone is giving her what her options are. Some people cannot take the pill.
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out that the thread is called 'Please Don't Let Me Get Pregnant' and the poster is called IWishIWas. I thought it was quite amusing.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Some people cannot take the pill.
    I cant since i take other medication that neutralises the affect of the pill. I only use condoms and havent had a problem yet *touch wood* But yeah, speaking to your doc sounds like a plan..
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A lot of people recommend that the Family Planning Clinic is good, but I don't, because I know of at least two people who went to the FPC and were put on the combined pill against all standard medical advice (there was a history of cancer in their family).
    The situation regarding cancer history in the family and the pill isn't so black and white though. It depends on lots of factors including how many relatives, cancer types, relationship to the person, age at which they had cancer etc.

My mother had breast cancer (aged 42 - premenopause) and my paternal grandmother died from breast cancer (aged 46). However my GP throughly invested the situation before deciding that the combined pill was still the best option for me.
  • Options
    if you forget bout taking the pill put a reminder on your mobile that the only way i remember to take mine
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    The situation regarding cancer history in the family and the pill isn't so black and white though. It depends on lots of factors including how many relatives, cancer types, relationship to the person, age at which they had cancer etc.

No, I know, I just can't remember which cancer is in her family. It's the one where you can generally only take the mini-pill though.