Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to take to uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hey

Yesterday I went into tesco to look at what i needed for uni but I was totally lost as to how much stuff i should take. Do i just take one of each crockery item or two and the same with cutlery. How many and stuff should i take? WHat about an iron and ironing board? I rlly dont know how much to take. Im think of gettin a mini beer fridge and takin my hi fi but i dont wanna take too mmuch

Any ideas
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Are you going to halls? Because I think some might restrict having an iron. Also, in my halls, cooking utensils where already supplied but I'd take them anyway. You won't need much, just make sure to get groceries every week, a CD player/radio is handy in your room. Don't really need a T.V. but some take them to use computer games, clothes, socks, underwear, posters. That's about it.
  • Options
    Yeah im 50-50 about whether to take a TV or not, don't really watch much anyway plus im sure someone in my halls will have one so could just use that one for everyone :D

I'm just taking stuff that'll make me feel at home in my room and just the usual cutlery etc etc
  • Options
    Halls will provide one in the kitchen for everyone's use.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Halls will provide one in the kitchen for everyone's use.

What, a TV?!

I took two of each crockery item, two of each cutlery, that was for self-catered. You'll probably be provided with an ironing board but I'm not sure about an iron, you'll have to check.

You probably won't officially be allowed a mini fridge, but that never stops anyone ;) Just be aware of how much room you'll be taking up with stuff like a mini fridge and a hifi.

I'd advise anyone to wait before taking a TV. I took one, and there was no reception, and from experience that's pretty common in halls. You'll also have to fork out for a TV license and while you can get some of it back, you'll be lucky to get it all. And it takes up room, and you'll probably find you don't miss it as much as you think. I can't think of anyone that had a TV in their room in halls.

There's loads and loads of lists online of things to take, like this, which are pretty good for ideas.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    our halls provided us with a tv. and i had one in my room.
    i would recommend taking more than one set of each item in case you invite someone round for tea.
    our halls didnt provide any cooking utensils, so we all had to provide our own.
    id recommend giving them a call and finding out what the supply etc.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    What, a TV?!

Yep, well I go to a top uni and the halls were very modern.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yep, well I go to a top uni and the halls were very modern.

Ooo, get you :p

I wouldn't have thought most would provide one. I dunno though, either way I don't think there's much point taking one for your own room.
  • Options
    Check the terms & conditions for your halls. Mine doesn't allow things like mini fridges.

I think the hall would have irons right? I've stayed over in halls with friends who went to uni & I'm pretty sure they were provided with cleaning devices plus basic cookery appliances (microwave, oven, fringe/freezer). I'd wait till I was there & check to see what's provided. You should take crockery & utensils though - just take a variety of stuff you will need (a few bowls, a few plates of various sizes, glasses/mugs & some knives, forks & spoons. If you can cook you may want to take a few more advanced utensils.) Don't take too much but take more than one of everything for times when you can't be arsed to do the washing up.

There'll probably be a TV in the common area of your hall (though I guess it'd depend on the uni) so I guess it's up to you - do you like to have control of what you watch? Are you a telly addict? If so you're better off taking your own. I'll technically have 2 - I just bought a TV tuner card (with freeview) from a mate, but I'll be taking my TV with me cos I prefer watching DVDs on my DVD player than on my CD-ROM drive (plus it's chipped to play all regions), I have VHS tapes, & also there's my PS2...

I'll definitely be taking my hi-fi - it has an alarm clock function so I can wake up to the CD of my choice rather than whatever cack they play on the radio in the mornings...
  • Options
    The thing my sister found when going to uni was that although everyone had their Ikea sets of pots and pans etc., everyone had shit knives. All id say is invest in a really good block of them, as opposed to Ikea or crappy ones- my sister found them invaluble, and they'll last you such a long time provided you don't leave them in the student kitchen for someone to ruin or nick, that they'll be worth the money you spend on them.
    A xxx