Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is "English Self-Government" about?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read an article on the internet about England wanting self governance though, how would it work as the laws this proposed self government would make would effect Wales, technically it would not be a self-overnment would it?

I also read on the internet and in a few Wales newspapers that Wales is to have law making powers in the form of "Orders-in-council", what are these?

Comments

• Options
    Click on "Thread Tools" on the top, choose the "Move Thread" option and move it to Politics & Debate. That should help you get a better reply. ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Click on "Thread Tools" on the top, choose the "Move Thread" option and move it to Politics & Debate. That should help you get a better reply. ;)

I forgot about that, I will head there now.
  • Options
    The idea of English "self-government" is basically a response to the West Lothian problem which has dogged British politics since Scottish decision-making was devolved from Westminster.

basically the West Lothian problem is an attack on the inherent unfairness of Scottish MPs being allowed to vote in Westminster on matters that solely affect England and Wales, without English and Welsh MPs being allowed to vote on matters in Scotland. Take university education- this is devolved to Scotland, and the Scottish parliament has decided to not have top-up fees. Top-up fees solely apply in England and Wales. This was decided in Westminster on a narrow majority, and this law would not have been passed at all if the votes cast by MPs representing Scottish constituencies had not counted.

Wales has a form of self-government, but the Welsh Assembly is little more than a talking shop.

Regioonal devolution was also planned, but this has gone by the wayside since the people of the North East voted against it for their area. Not that we don't have an assembly of course- we voted against an elected assembly, so obviously Blair decided this meant we wanted an unelected one instead!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The idea of English "self-government" is basically a response to the West Lothian problem which has dogged British politics since Scottish decision-making was devolved from Westminster.

basically the West Lothian problem is an attack on the inherent unfairness of Scottish MPs being allowed to vote in Westminster on matters that solely affect England and Wales, without English and Welsh MPs being allowed to vote on matters in Scotland. Take university education- this is devolved to Scotland, and the Scottish parliament has decided to not have top-up fees. Top-up fees solely apply in England and Wales. This was decided in Westminster on a narrow majority, and this law would not have been passed at all if the votes cast by MPs representing Scottish constituencies had not counted.

Wales has a form of self-government, but the Welsh Assembly is little more than a talking shop.

Regioonal devolution was also planned, but this has gone by the wayside since the people of the North East voted against it for their area. Not that we don't have an assembly of course- we voted against an elected assembly, so obviously Blair decided this meant we wanted an unelected one instead!

Even though this time next year the Welsh Assembly will have more powers and more work to do rather than talk, I support what you say, that this is actually a problem. The student tuition fees though are now under the Welsh Assembly in Wales, though that was due to the act being passed also.

Would this argument appear again in the future if the National Assembly gets full law making powers and other responsibilities?
  • Options
    England should not have regional assemblies also, us Welsh reckon that England should have her own "National Parliament for England". I agree that this would be fair on all the UK Nations, create a federal nation where like America, each nation or state forms a larger state or country. The laws coming from the UK Parliament should be known as UK Federal Law, the laws in the suggested English Parliament, English law (obviously) and the laws from Wales and Scotland as "Wales Law" and as it is now "Scots law".

Though I am assuming thats too fair and too "Written Constitution" for Blair.
  • Options
    Brenin wrote:
    England should not have regional assemblies also, us Welsh reckon that England should have her own "National Parliament for England". I agree that this would be fair on all the UK Nations, create a federal nation where like America, each nation or state forms a larger state or country. The laws coming from the UK Parliament should be known as UK Federal Law, the laws in the suggested English Parliament, English law (obviously) and the laws from Wales and Scotland as "Wales Law" and as it is now "Scots law".

Though I am assuming thats too fair and too "Written Constitution" for Blair.
    I agree. Of course i would have preferred it if Labour hadn't butchered a form of government that has existed since 1707, but since we are now stuck with expensive and toothless parliaments in Scotland and Wales, it is only right that England gets one too.
    I think that a "federal" structure is the only way forward for Britain, so we have a British Federal Parliament, with devolved assemblies (all with the same powers and status) for Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man, Gibraltar, etc...
  • Options
    IMHO the only way devolution in England would work is via regional assemblys, there's just too much regional disparity. Any all-England parliament would quickly become a talking shop for the south-east.

That doesn't mean there can't be some form of all-England government, but in order for devolution to work effectively decisions and spending will have to be on a regional level.

Oh and it also means more even more politicans and bureaucrats. :yuck: