Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Opinions all - belt and braces?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okies, I've always gone by the belt AND braces policy (i.e. I'm on the pill AND me and my partner use condoms)

He's away at the mo, and it's making me think how nice it wud be to do it without a condom, especially for him. He's fine with using them and everything, it would just make a nice change.

So, what do we reckon? Considering I'm 17, is there too much of a risk of getting pregnant? Is it not work it?

Han xxx

PS With the pill - I know ur supposed to take it @ the same time everyday. I take it at 'bed time' so that's always between 11pm and 1am. Is that too much of a time frame? xx

Comments

• Options
    I'm the same age as you, and my bloke and i haven't used condoms since... the first week of going out? The Pill is a lot more flexible than doctors lead you to believe, half the time i forget mine and while it's a really cavlier approach to my health, i know, i've been totally fine.

It definitely feels better without a condom, all i'd say is that if you didn't lose your virginity to each other, condoms aren't actually 100% in stopping STIs, so i'd get yourselves checked out before you have sex without a condom.

Anna xxx
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,
    You're obviously a careful person and it's good to see you're asking for advice about this before jumping in the deep end and ditching the condoms. Tbh, the pill is a very reliable form of contraception and as far as I know your age wouldn't make a difference. However, there are other factors you need to consider such as that the pill can't protect you against sexually transmitted infections. Have a look at our ditching the condoms article for more info :thumb:
  • Options
    Babe once I was on the pill, i never took it at the same time - normally between half 9 and 2am, when I remembered! And we never used condoms....

I'm on the implant now, and still don't, we're aware the tiny risk of me getting pregnant is there, but, tbh, its there no matter how many contraceptives you use. (Other than abstinence, before someone says it :razz:)
  • Options
    I would say go for it, I really do think sex feels five million times better for both partners without a condom; as long as you stay on track with your pill (and that time frame should be fine, at least it never caused me any problems to have a big-ass variation in time when I was taking it) you'll be fine.

Definitely agree with the first poster about getting tested for STIs, just to be safe and have peace of mind. It always pays to be vigilant, even if your list of previous sexual partners (or your boyfriend's) isn't as long as your arm :)
  • Options
    And also, abstinence= NO SEX. That's just no fun. also, contraceptive is a prevention of pregnancy or sexually transmitted disease happening during sexual intercourse THEREFORE abstinence is not a contraceptive. Ohhh, the lovely lovely pendantism :D
  • Options
    when i was with my ex i wasn't on the pill so when i went on the pill we stopped using condoms. at first i was a bit worried about getting pregnant but i was always good with taking the pill and it seemed to work for me.

i'm not saying i recommend it, though...

your choice. :)
  • Options
    I prefer to have sex with a girlfriend on the pill, but sometimes i like using condoms, they sometimes feel good, different, help it all last longer and if the girl is on the pill too then you go as rough as you like while wearing a condom, thus enjoy the different sensation with out having to be bothered if it rips or tears or whatever. I mean, sometimes sex and anal sex with a condom on is just fun.

But mostly i would say, based on my Ex's use of the pill and so forth, your going to be safe, just make your you have them STI tests before hand for the both of you, just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Cheers guys

Yea, we did actually lose our virginity to eachother, so STIs not a problem!

By my age, I just meant it would be quite young to be getting up la duff xxx
  • Options
    Yea, we did actually lose our virginity to eachother, so STIs not a problem!

By my age, I just meant it would be quite young to be getting up la duff xxx

Iv'e never had a problem and use only the pill.

Sometimes i don't always remember to take it on time, i just take it whenever i get up but if i forget there could be a few hours gap but i have never gotten pregnant.

If it ever happens though you should discuss beforehand what you would do.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    and you always have the morn after pill as a backup.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kitster wrote:
    Yes, it's there. But it isn't contraception.
  • Options
    The pill is about 99% effective if taken properly, so you will be as safe as you are with condoms. They don't protect against STIs though, so make sure you are both clean.

I haven't used condoms very much really, I've only ever used condoms with my wife when she had a break from the pill. It is so much nicer to not use them, as you can feel everything, and it just feels a lot more intimate. there does need to be trust though, if you don't trust your partner don't do it.
  • Options
    kitster wrote:

ok, jsut thought you need to know--
    a friend of mine and his gf got pregnant. she was on the pill too but the condom broke so she decided to get the morning after pill anyways. she was that little fraction of women that could and can pregnant while taking the pill as directed and then taking the morning after pill. she lost the baby naturally anways, but think about that. there's ALWAYS that risk.
  • Options
    MissMurder wrote:
    ok, jsut thought you need to know--
    a friend of mine and his gf got pregnant. she was on the pill too but the condom broke so she decided to get the morning after pill anyways. she was that little fraction of women that could and can pregnant while taking the pill as directed and then taking the morning after pill. she lost the baby naturally anways, but think about that. there's ALWAYS that risk.

Yeah, they even tell you about the risk. When a contraception is rated 99% effective AFAIK what it actually means is that over one year, if taken exactly as directed, one in a hundred women will conceive.
  • Options
    PS With the pill - I know ur supposed to take it @ the same time everyday. I take it at 'bed time' so that's always between 11pm and 1am. Is that too much of a time frame? xx

I'm the same with this time frame, and they say take it within 12 hours if you forget, but really, they arent going to advertise to take it in a 12 hour time span, are they? otherwise people would get slack ;)

I used both early on too, but we once tried without condom and let me just say HOLY FUCK it was FANTASTIC!!

Yeah, they even tell you about the risk. When a contraception is rated 99% effective AFAIK what it actually means is that over one year, if taken exactly as directed, one in a hundred women will conceive

Argh thats still kinda worrying :(
  • Options
    ugh.. Im jealous.

first time without condom i was so piss drunk i can't remember much. and at the time i couldn't feel much difference. It's high time for that.
  • Options
    well.... I'm not on the pill but i have been thinking about it and also how nice it would be to not use a condom but there is always the risk of std's and this kind of puts me off but also i dont think that he would go for the idea hes too sensible :)