Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Overheating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Usually when my laptop has been on for many hours the bottom of it gets extremely hot, almost to the point of burning. Has also happened that it has in such situations just turned itself off.

Now, have an extended guarantee for it, and was wondering if it was worth the bother to hand it in, or if they won't be able to do anything against it? I mean, it hasn't always been like that.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    laptops usually get pretty toasty, especially on hotter days. You could try looking through the ventilation for any dust buildups and (if possible) dust the heatsink (easier if your laptop has a hatch providing access). this could knock a few degree's off the temperature. but yeah, It may be worth sending it back under your extended waranty and let them clean it for you :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice noog!
    Hope you're doing good and all.
  • Options
    most girls I know with laptops seem to use them in bed and put them on their pillows - this kind of use wil cook a laptop

make sure it's on something hard and flat like a hard back book so the air gaps aren't blocked, also if's it a centrino laptop you can get a free program to slow down the CPU and thus make it cooler.

http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm
  • Options
    most girls I know with laptops seem to use them in bed and put them on their pillows - this kind of use wil cook a laptop

:lol:! *laughing because if I wasn't charging my iPod, I'd be doing that right now....:blush: *
  • Options
    We had a similar thing happen to our PC a few years back. The only reason it turned itself off when it was too hot was because the fan was knackered, so it was asafety thing. (I think)
  • Options

Must admit that I am guilty of this. Have I permanently ruined the computer, or will it be alright as long as I just don't do it?
  • Options
    to prevent damage they turn off when they get to a certain temperature
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Must admit that I am guilty of this. Have I permanently ruined the computer, or will it be alright as long as I just don't do it?

Should be fine just put it on hard back book or something!!

In fact they're using the term notebook these days not laptops cos PC's are getting so fast and getting so hot they're not longer suitable for most laps!!

And there is the very tinest of chances the battery could explode and burn you - so I guess manufacturers don't want you to put them on your lap - but really really minute chance of this happening.

What make and model is your laptop? Knowing these kind of details helps us to better answer your question.
  • Options