Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Live web chat 3-4pm - with guest!

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave: Hey peeps, we're going to be running a chat sesh today from 3-4, but this time, instead of just being free chat it would be great if you could help us test how a moderated live chat with questions would work out.

We currently have a lovely volunteer working at TheSite.org in the editorial team every Thursday called Marcella, and she has kindly agreed to answer your questions on work experience and volunteering. She's written a biog so you can think about what you might like to ask her before we invite you in:

"Hi, I’m Marcella from Birmingham, although I’ve somehow managed to lose the accent! I’m 28 and in the middle of a career change. I came to London to study at university. I always wanted to be a writer when I was younger and so was quite excited when I began studying English Literature at Middlesex University. Unfortunately I spent a little too much time in the university bar during my first year and so missed too many lessons, which meant I had to change my course. There is such a thing as too much fun! I started studying a major in ‘Teaching English as a Foreign Language’, and a minor in ‘Italian’.

The upside was I could travel with teaching and spent the summer of 2000 teaching English in Ethiopia, which was a great experience. Since then, I’ve been teaching English at a school in London and I’m currently trying to start a new career in journalism.

In addition to studying a long-distance NCTJ course in periodical journalism, I’m also volunteering at Thesite.org to get some journalism experience and gain the skills I’m going to need to work in this sector. Although I’ve got no free time, juggling teaching, studying and writing, I’m having a great time and am really learning important skills that are helping me in my quest for a new career.

If you’ve got any questions about volunteering, I’d be happy to answer them in a live web chat between 3.00 – 4.00pm this afternoon."

Look forward to seeing you in http://www.thesite.org/realchat/client/chat.jsp at 3 :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh wow I'm actaully going to be here for one of these :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    oh wow I'm actaully going to be here for one of these :D
    me too...bonus of being sent home sick!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    me too...bonus of being sent home sick!

haha nice one :thumb:
  • Options
    Balls i'll miss this one ..
  • Options
    It's open now!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    "Hi, I’m Marcella from Birmingham, although I’ve somehow managed to lose the accent! I’m 28 and in the middle of a career change. I came to London to study at university. I always wanted to be a writer when I was younger and so was quite excited when I began studying English Literature at Middlesex University.
    Look forward to seeing you in http://www.thesite.org/realchat/client/chat.jsp at 3 :thumb:

I'd like to join the chat but it always seems to crash my computer when I try. But I would like to ask: what is wrong with a Birmingham accent, you should be proud of where you come from.
  • Options
    Come and ask some questions guys
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'd like to join the chat but it always seems to crash my computer when I try. But I would like to ask: what is wrong with a Birmingham accent, you should be proud of where you come from.

Aw she says she's proud to be a brummy - just lost it by chance over the last decade :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    that was the first time i had been in there...well done, its good :D any idea when it will be all up and running properly? im assuming it wont be a 24 hour thing
  • Options
    I missed it again :(
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    that was the first time i had been in there...well done, its good :D any idea when it will be all up and running properly? im assuming it wont be a 24 hour thing

Thanks Bunny, it won't be long now. It won't be a 24hr thing but we hope to be able to do evening chats as well as during the day.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Thanks Bunny, it won't be long now. It won't be a 24hr thing but we hope to be able to do evening chats as well as during the day.
    Yay!
  • Options
    darn it i just missed that one today when i got in about 3:50pm