Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

friend with new baby.... right time to call?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my friend just had a baby. she text saying she would call me at weekend but never which is not surprising since she has a brand new baby. i have been waiting and waiting to call her and i wasnt sure when the right time was??? im out all day at work. called there and she is feeding. so when is the right time to call. told her hubby i would call back but do i just give her time and let her call me. dont know new baby ettiquette, ha ha!

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    wee wuman wrote:
    my friend just had a baby. she text saying she would call me at weekend but never which is not surprising since she has a brand new baby. i have been waiting and waiting to call her and i wasnt sure when the right time was??? im out all day at work. called there and she is feeding. so when is the right time to call. told her hubby i would call back but do i just give her time and let her call me. dont know new baby ettiquette, ha ha!
    if you have just called, give her some time. feeding can be quite a long process with a new baby, especially if she is breast feeding and trying to master it. i wouldnt call the house phone either for a couple of hours after as the baby might be sleeping, but mobiles are normally quieter, so that could be an option.

To be honest though, i would just keep trying, but remember she probably wont get chance to get back to you so try not to be offended.

hope you get hold of her soon!
  • Options
    should i maybe just send her a text and say" just give me a call when you get a chance, dont want to keep bothering you"??? not visited yet either but she has closer friends than me plus they were in hospital nearly a week and i felt i should give her time to get settled and let everyone else do thier visiting bit. i just dont want her to think im not bothering because she is a good friend.
  • Options
    wee wuman wrote:
    should i maybe just send her a text and say" just give me a call when you get a chance, dont want to keep bothering you"??? not visited yet either but she has closer friends than me plus they were in hospital nearly a week and i felt i should give her time to get settled and let everyone else do thier visiting bit. i just dont want her to think im not bothering because she is a good friend.
    a text sounds ok, but again if she doesnt call or reply dont worry too much. but if you say in the text, "can't wait to come round and see you all, just let me know when is good for you, as i can imagine you have everyone flocking to see you." then she will know you want to come, but knows you understand she will be busy.
  • Options
    i texted a very similar text on saturday when she replied to a text i sent on thursday, ha ha but she never got back. i know everything will be up in the air i just want her to know im thinking of her. i really cant wait to see the wee one but i think any new mum and dad need their space.
  • Options
    She will probably be knackered and forgetful atm.
  • Options
    wee wuman wrote:
    i texted a very similar text on saturday when she replied to a text i sent on thursday, ha ha but she never got back. i know everything will be up in the air i just want her to know im thinking of her. i really cant wait to see the wee one but i think any new mum and dad need their space.
    yeah space im thinking would be a good thing...and sleep! just wait for her to get back to you, im sure she knows you are thinking of her babes, and maybe give her a quick text later on.
  • Options
    cheers guys. just wasnt sure the right thing to do all new to this friends with babies malarky!
  • Options
    One thing i will say is when you get to see her, aswell as the fun part (holding the baby) it would probably be greatfully received to offer to help her out, if she needs anything doing.
    As when you are a new mum all those extra things like washing up, putting the washing out etc can make it real hard work, and although it's nice to help with the baby it is nice to give the mum that time too if you kwim.
  • Options
    Yes she's had a baby but come on we ALL love to show our baby off. Id personally (if she was my friend) would phone and say I was gonna pop round on Saturday Afternoon to see you, have you got anything arranged ? That way if she really does not want visitors she can make an excuse up.
    If you do go round dont stay too long thats all because yes she will not have had as much sleep as normal and will be tired.
    I know when my friend had her baby I was round the day after she came out of hospital to see her and baby. She'd have been annoyed with me if I hadnt gone round.
  • Options
    That's a hard decision , because at night, she needs as much sleep as she can get, and during the day she is probably busy with her newborn. I suggest asking her what time he usually goes down for a nap, that way she can relax and talk to you. Maybe you guys could even spend time together with the baby.