Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing sound on laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I seem to have lost the sound fuction on my laptop, and now the speakers dont work at all, when they where fine a week ago. Whenever I try to use my emulator I get the following message:

Unable to initialise DirectSound. You will not be able to hear any sound effects or music while playing. It is usually caused by not having DirectX installed, another application has already opended DirectSound in exclusive mode or the Windows WAVE device has been opened.

Its not just the emulator, I cant get any sound from my other games, from the intrenet anything!

If anyone could help I'd be really grateful.

Comments

• Options
    What happens if you try playing a CD on the laptop?

Laptop make & model might help. :)
  • Options
    Its an Advent 7095. When I try and play CDs on Windows Media player I get the following message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.
  • Options
    I'm going to bail out here, because I can't remember enough about Windows to talk you through checking for conflicts and whatnot.

Somewhere in start -> control panel -> system will be a list of devices on your machine. If no conflicts are noted, then you can try reinstalling the drivers for your soundcard - they are available here.

Sound FAQs
    Advent 7095 page

I'm too out of touch to be of any use beyond that. Sorry. :(

ETA - Bit of a long shot, but pressing Fn & F2 should mute the sound. I don't suppose for a second that muting it would cause the errors you are seeing, but it might be worth a go. :)
  • Options
    Thanks Click, managed to sort it out with some help from my brother. Had a driver conflict