Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Basketball tummy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What makes a person (man) look like they've swallowed a basketball? Like the rest of their body is not fat at all, legs, arms, bum/hips, no moobies. But their tummy just looks round and big. Not even jiggly or flabby, just round.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Blokes tend to be more prone to carry fat on their abdomen. (Women tend to have it round the hips) It's also (at least supposedly) impossible to spot-reduce fat i.e. take it away from a certain area of the body
  • Options
    beer or food. :yes:
  • Options
    Blokes tend to be more prone to carry fat on their abdomen. (Women tend to have it round the hips) It's also (at least supposedly) impossible to spot-reduce fat i.e. take it away from a certain area of the body

Is it kind of like the women with the asses that could be used as tables, for some reason or another, instead of just more fat gathering there, all the fat gathers in that area?

• Options
    my_name wrote:
    What makes a person (man) look like they've swallowed a basketball? Like the rest of their body is not fat at all, legs, arms, bum/hips, no moobies. But their tummy just looks round and big. Not even jiggly or flabby, just round.

Any ideas? Thanks.

It's called a beer belly, woman! :rolleyes: ;)
    It's an exact science. The circumference, the volume and the shape of the belly is directly proportionate to the ammount of the beer intake.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    But the person in question doesn't drink beer... at all!

Though sick amounts of cherry coke :chin:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Any ideas? Thanks.
    In my case its when I eat too many carbs. I tend to bloat easy.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Though sick amounts of cherry coke :chin:

Which gives you the answer to your question, doesn't it, chicken? :)
  • Options
    No thanks, I'm not hungry.
  • Options
    touche. More for me then...
    ;)
  • Options
    The reason it gathers around the abdomen of males and not on women so much, is because of hormones.
  • Options
    When I gain weight I look like that. My back is weirdly curved because I sit infront of a computer for most of the time I'm awake. I'm pretty skinny but if I gain, my tummy sticks out alot.
  • Options
    Central truncal obesity. It's also why fat men in their 40s get diabetes.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Are you talking about me?
    I do have that kind of tummy, it looks like I'm pregnant. :(
  • Options
    He could be bloated from all of the Cherry Coke.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Is it kind of like the women with the asses that could be used as tables, for some reason or another, instead of just more fat gathering there, all the fat gathers in that area?

Well not all the fat will gather in that area but there is a tendency for it to.

Here's some more info on it:

'Who Develops Excess Abdominal Fat?

Generally, men tend to store fat around their middle (apple body shape), while women store fat around their pelvis, thighs and butt (pear body shape). But while gender is the most powerful influence on the distribution of body fat, it's not the only factor - genes and genetics also count. A 1996 study of twins found that hereditary factors are responsible for up to 70 percent of an individual's tendency to accumulate extra weight in the midsection. Age, too, has an effect. Aging is actually responsible for the middle-age spread so common in America. But the effect of age is magnified enormously by the final factor, lack of exercise. A recent study of 427 healthy men between 17 and 90 found that in each decade of adult life, the body fat of sedentary men increased 17 percent and the waist circumference 2 percent; regular exercise, though, reduced fat accumulation to just 3 percent per decade and held the mid-body bulge to just 1 percent per decade.'
  • Options
    Now I know this thread finished an extremely long time ago, but I must add another fact: sometimes the 'belly' is not a beer belly at all but actually undigested food which can stick out if you're thin. This so-called belly tends to flatten out when the person has not eaten for a while, or bulks up a bit. So it's not always abdominal fat.

Obviously if this is actually bullshit let me know!
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    He could be bloated from all of the Cherry Coke.

yeah, try burping him! :lol:
  • Options
    My stomach can bloat un uncomfortably when I'm stressed! Literally it will go from a normal flat tummy to massive, like I've got a basket ball in there. Also very uncomfortable.

It's just one of those random nuances with your boddy though, everyone has them.
  • Options
    beer or food. :yes:

I would have to agree.. it's a beer belly...
  • Options
    its probaly beer cuz my step dad is huge but evrything els is twigish