Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Junk food, the gym and me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if eating junk food would affect the amount of muscle built by going to the gym. I dont eat particularly that bad, ive just got a bit of a sweet tooth so tend to be eating sweets or sweet stuff at least once a day.

Say i got to the gym for one and a half hours then eat a packet of sweets after (say chewits or something) would it affect the time ive spent at the gym and make it worthless or will i put on muscle regardless because its still being worked?

Comments

• Options
    well say you go to the gym and burn off 500 calories. if you go home and eat a chocolate bar that probably contains around 200 calories which you'll then put on.

dunno about muscle though.
  • Options
    well im not really going to the gym to lose weight because i'm pretty skinny as it is. just going to build up muscle and tone a bit better...
  • Options
    You're still building muscle whether you eat 2 big mac's or a bag of carrots. You're still gaining unwanted calories, sugars and fats from the snacks. Trust this one on experience, you can go to the gym all you want but if you still pig out the results will take alot longer to show! I'm still waiting :p I'd say just try and limit the sweets. Not necissarly cut out ;) but maybe cut back?
  • Options
    What you need to do is plan the sweets into your 2500 calories a day, so maybe eat less of something else. However, the sweets are not really rich in fibre, proteins or anything good...so you are not being healthier or building particular muscle tissue.

If you wanna build up muscle, eat loads of meat!! And lift weights...
    Also go swimming coz swimming is good for shaping your upper body and the shoulder area, the deltoid muscles in particular...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Just wondering if eating junk food would affect the amount of muscle built by going to the gym. I dont eat particularly that bad, ive just got a bit of a sweet tooth so tend to be eating sweets or sweet stuff at least once a day.

Say i got to the gym for one and a half hours then eat a packet of sweets after (say chewits or something) would it affect the time ive spent at the gym and make it worthless or will i put on muscle regardless because its still being worked?
    Muscle needs calories, so when on a bulk trying to build maximum mass you need more calories. What I do is eat enougth protein a day, then after that eat what I want.

Eating simple sugars after a anaerobic workout is beneficial because the body will use that to re stock glycogen storage's & kick start recovery. Also the insulin spike of the simple sugars will drive nutrients into the muscle. Make sure you have a protein shake after as well.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Muscle needs calories, so when on a bulk trying to build maximum mass you need more calories. What I do is eat enougth protein a day, then after that eat what I want.

Eating simple sugars after a anaerobic workout is beneficial because the body will use that to re stock glycogen storage's & kick start recovery. Also the insulin spike of the simple sugars will drive nutrients into the muscle. Make sure you have a protein shake after as well.

I might be wrong, but isn't there the right type of sugar and the right type of sugar....?
    What the body needs after the workout is to restock on the salts and fluids, surely.
    I use Lucozade(Gatorade in the states) to recharge and it works quite well.
    I wouldn't touch a chocolate bar if you gave me a million bucks!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I might be wrong, but isn't there the right type of sugar and the right type of sugar....?
    What the body needs after the workout is to restock on the salts and fluids, surely.
    I use Lucozade(Gatorade in the states) to recharge and it works quite well.
    I wouldn't touch a chocolate bar if you gave me a million bucks!
    lol there is. As most sweets have dextrose in them, I used his chewits as an example. I personally wouldn't eat a bar of choc after either.