Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you avoid the brother-sister relationship with girls?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Like create attraction instead of brother-sister. How do you avoid it from the start and what do you do later on as well.

Comments

• Options
    you're talking about how to avoid the friendzone? its a very complex topic which has all wondering at times. just make sure your make your intentions vaguely clear and never talk about boyfriends or try and advise her on which bloke to go for or 'how was the date?' etc etc. because thats the stuff that friends & brothers/sisters talk about.
  • Options
    I don't mean to go all Walton family on you, but having a really good friendship really is something to cherish and I think it does get undervalued...

But if it's something casual that you want to take further, then just flirt, show her that you like her (don't go OTT), and see where things go.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I don't mean to go all Walton family on you, but having a really good friendship really is something to cherish and I think it does get undervalued...

But if it's something casual that you want to take further, then just flirt, show her that you like her (don't go OTT), and see where things go.

:yes: these are some interesting and perceptive points. Here's some tips on flirting which you may find useful.
  • Options
    11baller11 wrote:
    Like create attraction instead of brother-sister. How do you avoid it from the start and what do you do later on as well.

good question. If you know the answer, let me know...

Damn, being an essential part for a girl is one thing...
    not getting laid, the other -_-

the super most important thing is: Make yourself rare. She's not going to miss you (missing someone, means feelings), if you are around all the day,... this is what I am doing wrong. I am hanging out too much with them, doing casual things like shopping or bullshit.

There must be some kind of 'tension' like, "omg!! so-and-so calls!!" *locks herself in room, really looking forward for the phone call*
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I would have thought it was obvious really; you need to flirt and be subtly sexual rather than just friendly and safe. It's not rocket science tbh, it's just a case of not coming across as so nice and safe and harmless that you don't seem sexy in any way.

Most definitely :yes:

The problem a LOT of men (and possibly women, although I notice it less with the fairer sex ;) ) is that they're so preoccupied with being "Mr Nice" and getting into the good books that they don't leave any opportunity for their flirty, charming, sexual side to come through and essentially there is little difference between a reall valuable, wonderful male/female friendship and an actual romantic relationship -- other than the sexual side. I think that's definitely why a lot of problems arise, because the line between great friendship and a sexual and romantic relationship is so, so fine but depends solely on displaying the fact that your feelings are more than platonic from the outset. There's a reason male birds plump up their feathers and peacocks display their tail feathers - showing that you are attractive and attracted and also - to an extent - an aggressive sexual being. So when you get a male friend taking the softly, softly catchy monkey approach it's so easy to see that they'd be a wonderful, caring friend that you can turn to when your heart is broken etc and nigh-on impossible to see any charm or "x factor" that might make them more attractive because they're so conscious of upsetting and risking what they already have. Even if that's not all they want, if that makes sense. Caution and lack of confidence are never going to sweep someone off their feet; faint heart never won fair lady and all that jazz.

Of course this doesn't mean that in order to get a girl to see you in a different light you should immediate turn to "bad boy" (or big old bastard) mode or change your personality one little bit. But instead of proudly showing her what a caring, sensitive, unsexy chum you are it's an idea to highlight the devil-may-care, confident and secure in yourself aspects of your personality. A lot of girls love sensitivity in a man, of course, but it has to be tempered with a manly side. After all, that should come naturally to you MEN. Actions speak louder than words, and the sooner you act the less extreme those actions have to be. The longer a woman sees you as a friend the harder it will be for her to see you as anything else... and the harder it will be for you to do a thing about it.

Oooh, it's a tough one. Like sophia said, there's also the chance that she just doesn't fancy you in which case you could move heaven and earth and you're never going to get out of that friend zone. Knowing when it's a lost cause and when there's a chance is something you learn with experience though, definitely (and possibly a little bit of heartbreak).
  • Options
    Flirting can keep you out of the friend zone, but it doesn't necessarily get you into the boyfriend zone. You can be someone's friend, without being in the friend zone, because I see the friend zone as being basically, the guys that she will never see as anything more than a friend (or at least something would have to change majorly for it to happen). But unless the girl you're into is quite forward, then you'll never get into the boyfriend zone, unless you initiate a bit of contact and get a bit closer physically. Flirting is only half the story, the other half is actually making a move (which will go horribly wrong if you haven't done the first half correctly).
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I would have thought it was obvious really; you need to flirt and be subtly sexual rather than just friendly and safe. It's not rocket science tbh, it's just a case of not coming across as so nice and safe and harmless that you don't seem sexy in any way.

Although I don't actually think it's the end of the world if you do find yourself in the "friend zone"; I've had relationships with blokes who I was just mates with for ages first, and had honestly never even thought of them that way, until one day they suddenly started flirting with me and it made me look at them in a new light and reconsider my relationship with them. So even if you do get put in the friend zone, you can transfer yourself to potential boyfriend zone, unless of course she just really doesn't fancy you.

With many many girls this is a walk on the tightrope. If you try to "break out" of the friends zone, it's very often the case that you got neither her booty nor her friendship anymore. "you have feelings for me? i can't trust you anymore."

bollocks. Women are complicated. We don't have friend and partner zones. If she's good looking, nice and a good friend, we'd like to tap that (except we got a girlfriend for ourselves).
  • Options
    ask her if she'd like you to clear her a place to sit. If she says yes lick your lips and wipe your mouth with gusto then flash her a big toothy grin :D

ETA: Lipsy sent me a link ages ago, this might come in handy:
    http://www.laddertheory.com/
  • Options
    Shag her

ETA: If the girl in question is in fact your sister then I'm afraid that type of relationship is unavoidable and i would strongly urge you to ignore my earlier advice!
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Although me and my best friend flirt ALL THE TIME. Maybe that's just because we used to have a thing, but meh.

To add my two pence, there is a large part of me atm that a) is glad I'm just good friends with JD now rather than worrying about what he's doing at clubs, and b) wishes I'd been good friends with him before I even started going out with him, so I could have built up the trust first and not be in this situation at all. There's a lot to be said about being friends first, imo.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    <snip>

You are so wise :)
  • Options
    Easy solution, like a few have said....
    Be a mean son of a bitch! And don't call her back. Treat them mean, keep 'em keen. ;)

BTW it takes a long time for a relationship to get to a brother sister thing and you have to be in the friends zone first for that to happen, so i am guessing you are in the friends zone, being double teamed, you can't pass, you can't shoot, you can't dribble, you can't do shit but be a friend...
    I am using the basketball analogy coz of your name..
    anyway....
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Shag her

ETA: If the girl in question is in fact your sister then I'm afraid that type of relationship is unavoidable and i would strongly urge you to ignore my earlier advice!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    You are so wise :)

:blush::heart:

However tongue in cheek the comment was, I'd like to point out to the less observant that treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen does NOT work well on any [sane, balanced] female. An element of "meanness" is a good thing but more in the sense that you look out for your own interests and don't immediately bend to their will rather than being a big, bad bastard who makes her cry. Anyone who found mean-spiritedness attractive would be someone I would give a very wide berth, but maybe that's just moi. A bit of aggression is good, but I'd guess most women don't want to actually be able to smell testosterone from ten miles away.

So unless you're into relationships with clingy emotional wrecks I would say try and strike the balance between caring, attentive mr. sensitive and passionate, brooding, mr. roughandready -- as you will undoubtedly create a monster of that variety ;)

See, we women aren't complex creatures at all, are we boys? :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    :blush::heart:

However tongue in cheek the comment was, I'd like to point out to the less observant that treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen does NOT work well on any [sane, balanced] female. An element of "meanness" is a good thing but more in the sense that you look out for your own interests and don't immediately bend to their will rather than being a big, bad bastard who makes her cry. Anyone who found mean-spiritedness attractive would be someone I would give a very wide berth, but maybe that's just moi. A bit of aggression is good, but I'd guess most women don't want to actually be able to smell testosterone from ten miles away.

So unless you're into relationships with clingy emotional wrecks I would say try and strike the balance between caring, attentive mr. sensitive and passionate, brooding, mr. roughandready -- as you will undoubtedly create a monster of that variety ;)

See, we women aren't complex creatures at all, are we boys? :p

See what you done there, babe? ;)
    You've put WOMEN and BOYS in the same sentence. What do boys know about women.
    Anyway, you tell me how many men of that above description (caring, attentive mr. sensitive and passionate, brooding, mr. roughandready) you actually know or know of?
  • Options
    11baller11 wrote:

I would say there's two parts. The first, being flirty and fun and generally not too nice has been covered already. But you've also got to keep advancing the physical side. Hold her hand for the first time, kiss her etc.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    See what you done there, babe? ;)
    You've put WOMEN and BOYS in the same sentence. What do boys know about women.

It was intentional :p
    Anyway, you tell me how many men of that above description (caring, attentive mr. sensitive and passionate, brooding, mr. roughandready) you actually know or know of?

None at all, you're dead right that it's a rarity but it can be done. Maybe you can't learn it though, I don't know. I definitely know some men who come closer than others, though, and they're the ones who are most successful when it comes to relationships and accruing gaggles of pining girls to fall at their feet etc. None of them are particularly handsome or intelligent or witty... they just tread the fine line between rough and smooth very, very well.
  • Options
    ETA: Nope I can't do a serious answer to another one of these threads. Just bear in mind when your wanting to kiss a girl and are worried about how she might react that no one on earth is going to be hugely upset to find out that someone finds them attractive.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    None at all, you're dead right that it's a rarity but it can be done. Maybe you can't learn it though, I don't know. I definitely know some men who come closer than others, though, and they're the ones who are most successful when it comes to relationships and accruing gaggles of pining girls to fall at their feet etc. None of them are particularly handsome or intelligent or witty... they just tread the fine line between rough and smooth very, very well.

It's easy to learn...but I guess it depends on the way you are a little too.
    I got at least a couple of mates that fit the bill, and including myself, that's 3.
    Most of my mates are $unts though....:thumb:
  • Options
    Flirt alot at first I guess.