Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The youth today.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am not sure how the youth in the UK other other countries is developing, but I was just browsing websingles.at and austrian contact site, or however you call that. I am not using such databases, but I was just looking which kind of people are on there (since it's very funny at times). anyway, I was browsing through all the <14 year olds, thinking there won't be THAT much. I was wrong.

I looked through a few and the ~14 year old austrian girl, seems like a clone from one prototype, i.e. they are all the same.
I couldn't find a single girl who did not listen to Techno/Trance/Dance/hardstyle music, I hardly (1 out of 30) found any that did not like to wear branded clothing exclusively. Polo, Prada, Gucci, Armani, Bvlgari, Nike etc., I HARLDLY could find any that did not smoke or drink, and I talk about GETTING WASTED with 14.
"Where you can find me" was answered with any kind of stupid ass discotheque. Many answered "My greatest dream" with "to finish school".

"favorite author": "LOL OMG, I don't read books.

I am witnessing this development on my sister. She can't solve simple math equations, watches TV all day, does not care if she knows stuff or not for big exams. Well, you could go so far to say she's incompetent.

How's it in the UK?

Does not look like a bright future.

Comments

• Options
    Web profiles should be taken with a pinch of salt. They may talk about getting wasted, but it might just be that - talking. Peer pressure is huge at that age regarding drinking alcohol, having sex etc. A few depressing web profiles are not representative of an entire country.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Web profiles should be taken with a pinch of salt. They may talk about getting wasted, but it might just be that - talking. Peer pressure is huge at that age regarding drinking alcohol, having sex etc. A few depressing web profiles are not representative of an entire country.

I am not talking about a few. I am talking about ~2000 registered only on this single webpage, spread over whole Austria. And even if they aren't wasted, there are pictures of them in discos where they shouldn't even fucking be with that age (curfew).
    Moreover do I hear how it runs in schools today since I am still in contact with old teachers. My sisters friend was with a boy (he was 15 i suppose) who wanted to get himself a pitbull terrier. Not even speaking of racism among such people (which is at times encroaches on my sister as well).
  • Options
    Cliches innit.

Browsing on myspace you get it a lot. My favourites is usually the female emo type girly profile. The introduction is usually a weirdly formantted paragraph about how much of a bitch they are. For example:

My name is Doreen.
    I am short.
    I don't care if you call me a short arse.
    I'm a bitch.
    I'll probably hate you.

Haha anyway..
  • Options
    P.S. My point is that it's usually a front and they'll probably grow out of it. Don't let it annoy you. Just smile in an 'Ah I remember when I was a teen' sort of way.
  • Options
    I look at young teenagers today and realise just how different they all are from when i was that age (not even long ago- 8 years-ish...im 21)

My sister (age 12) gets away with so much, and i fear she's going to grow up having no gratitude, and no sense of appreciation. Priorities in her life are fitting in, and having the same fancy posessions that all her friends have. I wish i could make her see that none of that matters! but i cant.

..no point thinking much about it. You cant change the way the "youth of today" is and you'll just get annoyed

All you can do is if you ever have children, bring them up to be how you think they should be.
  • Options
    Things were the same when most of us were teenagers though i'd imagine, just the must have posessions and clothing change.

I think a lot of people judge youngsters today by the way they dress but for most if not all of these kids, they dont do it to look menacing or to mug people but they need to have the latest hoody or the latest trainers to fit in and because all their friends have them.

There are a lot of kids out there with respect for others but due to the influence a small minority have over these impressionable people, respect is hardly ever shown unless someone has first proven themselves worthy of that respect.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I look at young teenagers today and realise just how different they all are from when i was that age (not even long ago- 8 years-ish...im 21)

My sister (age 12) gets away with so much, and i fear she's going to grow up having no gratitude, and no sense of appreciation. Priorities in her life are fitting in, and having the same fancy posessions that all her friends have. I wish i could make her see that none of that matters! but i cant.

..no point thinking much about it. You cant change the way the "youth of today" is and you'll just get annoyed

All you can do is if you ever have children, bring them up to be how you think they should be.

and that's not possible. They get formed and coined so much from their environment. So many divorces, broken homes. Bad habits contract like bubonic plague in that age.

It's not all a front, I see it on my sister live (she's 13). Has NO MONEY AT ALL, just runs around in make-up thick as wallpaper glue, brings home terrifying phone bills, will drop out of school (pretty sure). If it's going her way, she'd be in front of the TV all day, gets out to meet her boyfriend (who's 2 years older and working), and would do ZERO for school.

she won't have any education, no real 'knowledge', runs around like a clown because of the make-up, no feeling for money at ALL.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    she won't have any education, no real 'knowledge', runs around like a clown because of the make-up, no feeling for money at ALL.
    Not many youngsters do. As soon as she steps into the 'real world' however she wont have that luxury of not knowing