Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long term care facilities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a little rant, I'm probably just misunderstanding things, maybe somebody can explain it to me.

So I work in a pharmacy that services long term care facilities. A big part of my job is inputing these reports. The reports come when a nurse calls in to order meds stat. Every so often, more often than I think it should be, the descriptions list out several patients, several meds including antibiotics, antipsychotics and pain medications. It then requests the meds stat as "state is there."

Why weren't these patients scripts sent in already? Why couldn't they give them the medicines they take? Why must the request for meds be put in just because the stat inspectors are there? Is there some other explination?

I've thought about it several times, but really started thinking yesterday when I read an article in the newspaper about a nursing home that we service that is now having an invistatation done on them as with the heat, one of the residents passed out from it. When people arrived the tempature inside was (I can't remember exactly) but about 85 (29.5C) and they do have a/c.

Its quite disturbing and I hope there are other explinations, real reasons why the things happen, other than negligance.

Comments

• Options
    I do not understand what you posted tbh.
  • Options
    Several long term care facilities are not giving their patients the meds they require until state inspectors come then they request them all at once so they can comply with the laws and not be shut down. It was just a disturbing trend I saw and needed a rant.
  • Options
    Serves you right for living in the USA. :(
  • Options
    Yeah, oh I suck, and its all my fault and I bet this problem has never occured elsewhere :rolleyes:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yeah, oh I suck, and its all my fault :rolleyes:

:hyper:
  • Options
    First of all, I'm sorry, you caught me during my pissy hour of work :p

But I'm actually quite worried, I want to do something. Its not alot of homes that do this. Only a few, but a few reaccuring ones. They rarely have any stat reports and ones they do have are requesting meds because the state is there or because the patients family is there visiting and they are angry.

I know pharmacies make mistakes, and I'm not saying the one I work at is perfect, but I know these faults are from the home. I also read in input into several programs the pharmacy mistakes. Its a disturbing thing.

The people range from young and old. Childrens homes to retirement places to hospices. Decrepit, disabled, sick, just nobody to care for them and they are not getting what they need and they can't do a damn thing about it.

I want to do something. I've been keeping the reports for the last month that state specificaly to send meds because the state is there or the family is mad.

But in the end. It will be obvious is me. Theres two copies to the report. One that gets sent to the home and one that gets sent to me. It has our company name/logo and I'm the only one with access to them before they get entered into the system.

As I'm sure you know, here, the pharmacutical business is a very very profitible one. If homes get shut down, we lose patients, losing hundreds of thousands of dollars. It effects the shareholders (every employee, even lowlifes like me get stock options in the company) it essentially effects lots of people.

Not only do I not know who I would bring this possible negligence information to, but I dont' know what would happen if I do.