Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Medicals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone here had a medical as part of a personal injury claim? If so, what happened? How did it turn out and how 'in depth' was it?

I'm due a medical for a claim I'm making over a car accident, but am still a little anxious about the medical.

Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hi Ilora-Danon

Sorry to hear about the accident. The Community Legal Service Direct website has some advice on personal injuries and getting compensation. While it doesn't specifically cover what happens in a medical examination, it lists some resources that might be helpful to you.

I imagine that medical examinations differ depending on the claim, but should focus on any injuries from the accident. You should be able to speak with the doctor about what to expect.

Best of luck with it!
  • Options
    Has anyone here had a medical as part of a personal injury claim? If so, what happened? How did it turn out and how 'in depth' was it?

I'm due a medical for a claim I'm making over a car accident, but am still a little anxious about the medical.

Thanks x

I had a medical and then a few follow up medicals a couple of years ago because of a car accident. They went through the accident, how the injury had effected me/stopped me doing things, and then done some movement tests etc. Although it was a doc I never knew (the whole point of it being an independant prof) I felt comfortable and relaxed. It was like a chat, although he kept pausing to record on the dictaphone. Nothing to worry about really!
  • Options
    Nothing to worry about if you are telling the truth about your injuries, basically.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Nothing to worry about if you are telling the truth about your injuries, basically.
    But there are other reasons you could be worried (other than not being truthful). For example you could be worried about confidentiality etc if the report is to be shared with third parties.
  • Options
    Confidentiality doesn't bother me tbh. It's having to go over the car accident all over again in such detail. I'm still a ridiculously anxious passenger, and find myself searching for the footbrake on the passenger side :no: but I just don't wanna sound like a baby or something, like they'll judge me...
    I've been to see the doc again about one of my injuries, and she said that I've definitely broken my tailbone, but they won't x-ray it because they can't treat it - so I'm worried that without proof the medical won't take it seriously.
  • Options
    Isn't a medical cerficate from your doctor enough, to say what injuries you have?
  • Options
    TBH by telling the doctor that you're scared, etc, it will greatly strengthen your case!
  • Options
    mine is soon too, cant offer any advice as im scared too (for the same reasons: re-living the accident while talking to them) but i hope it goes well for you :thumb:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Isn't a medical cerficate from your doctor enough, to say what injuries you have?
    Nope. The insurance co have requested all my medical records off my GP and the records they took at A&E on the night of the crash, to be used during the medical.
    For a personal injury medical, you have to personally explain in detail what happened and how you were injured/harmed, in front of an unbiased medical practitioner, who will then write up a report (using your medical records) and present it to the insurance company who will then give me a quote for compensation. The amount of comp usually depends on whether or not you have any lasting injuries (which I have).

Sounds pretty horrific to me, thus being petrified...

Blah, thanks.. good luck with yours too. Fingers crossed!