Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

surround sound system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Can any1 suggest a decent surround sound system for £250 or under with a min output of 500W

thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You wanting an all-in-one system, or seperate amp and speakers? And with or without a DVD player? Oh and forget about the output, it's no indicator of how good it'll be.
  • Options
    Why not have a look a Denon and Bose products
  • Options
    Aren't Bose products usually really expensive?

Also take a look at Yamaha stuff, Pioneer's cheaper stuff, Tannoy for speaker sets and Sony for decent all-in-one systems.

Also check out eBay for anything like speakers, where the technology doesn't move on too much.
  • Options
    Check out this page: http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/list~subdept~hometheatrepackage~dt~Home%20Theatre~st~Home+Theatre+Systems.htm

I think the Yamaha package at the bottom is your best bet, but there's a few good Sonys, Pioneers and Panasonics on there too. Though I'm also liking the Denon reciever/speaker package near the top too.
  • Options
    Oh and since it's kinda on topic, and I just want to brag in general, I just bought this today:

vsx516s_detailpage.jpg

£175, not bad.
  • Options
    zooby wrote:
    Can any1 suggest a decent surround sound system for £250 or under with a min output of 500W

thanks

No. But I can advise you to take power ratings with a pinch of salt. You don't need more than 10 watts per channel to make a healthy amount of noise.

The only figures worth looking at when comparing power ratings are power measured in watts RMS, and the amount of Total Harmonic Distortion(THD). No quality gear ships with more than 0,1% THD - and it should be a LOT less than that. My amplifier is rated at 0.008%, and it was produced in 1985...

Years ago(96/97), I was introduced to the Celestion HTiB package - I can't compare it to modern offerings, but it was bloody good back then, and should cost under £50 these days if you can find one...
  • Options
    Had a look in the bang and olufsen shop yesterday and it is ridiculous how expensive the stuff is your looking at about 3 grand for a tv!
    silly money really.
  • Options
    Had a look in the bang and olufsen shop yesterday and it is ridiculous how expensive the stuff is your looking at about 3 grand for a tv!
    silly money really.

i dont think i could ever buy anything from that shop, it would just be totally against my moral upstanding
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i dont think i could ever buy anything from that shop, it would just be totally against my moral upstanding

and why your moral upstanding may I ask?
  • Options
    silly money really.
    And by all accounts, it's nowhere near good enough to justify such as high price tag. You're just paying for the ability to say "I have a Bang and Olufsen TV" to your poncy friends. Incidentally, if I was buying some really high end stuff, I'd go for one of the many brilliant British manufacturers out there. Support local produce and all that. :p
  • Options
    I got one of these, the sound that comes out of it is simply amazing!!

It's louder and clearer then our Aiwa home hiFi

I also use it on our DVD player and use it's virtual 3D setting to good effect.

160040_creative_soundworks_01.jpg
  • Options
    Ended up buyin the Samsung Ht-Q25
    sounds the dogs bollocks
  • Options
    i get all my audio equipment from richer sounds

fantastic shop, really cheap prices and excellent staff who actually know what they're talking about.
  • Options
    jake0 wrote:
    fantastic shop, really cheap prices and excellent staff who actually know what they're talking about.
    Always an advantage. Just bought some speakers off their website.