Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Daily Mirror

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone see the 'top 20 dangerous(?) drugs' list in the Daily Mirror yesterday?

I've tried a search but can't find them, nor can I recall them.

I remember:
1 - Heroin
2 - Coke
3 - Street Methadone(?)
6 - Ket
16 - LSD
18 - Pills
19 - Poppers
20 - Khat

I need help filling in the blanks. It got dragged up in a conversation and it's driving a few of us mad trying to remember. GHB and steroids were somewhere in there. So was tobacco and alcohol. If anyone's got the article I didn't have chance to read anything other than the list. Does it say what they've used to determine the title 'most dangerous'? (addictive, negatively affective on the body, etc?).

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whatever it was, I'd say it was bullshit.

You can't just say one thing is more dangerous than the other when they all have different properties. It's nonsense.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A drug is how dangerous you make it yourself, it's all about the individual.
  • Options
    Yeh. Agree with you both.

Anyone got the list?
  • Options
    The list, complete with nonsense comments about each drug;

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article1207619.ece

The reasons for the order of the list;

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmsctech/1031/103110.htm

The list hasnt been done by the Mirror it was put together by Professor David Nutt, a senior member of the Committee that advises the government on drug classification, and Professor Colin Blakemore - chief Executive of the Medical Research Council.

I think you can (within reason) rank drugs based on their personal and social harms, its always a crude measure because people are so different. But the flip side of saying that you cant rank them is that all drugs are as dangerous as each other, which is clearly rubbish.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think you can (within reason) rank drugs based on their personal and social harms, its always a crude measure because people are so different. But the flip side of saying that you cant rank them is that all drugs are as dangerous as each other, which is clearly rubbish.

I suppose so, but making them into a definite order of harm jsut doesn't seem right.

It's an intresting list though ...where's Crack or is that included under coke?
    Ecstasy next to poppers and 'safer' than LSD???
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's an intresting list though ...where's Crack or is that included under coke?
    Ecstasy next to poppers and 'safer' than LSD???

It does seem strange not to seperate the two.

I do think when you are judging the drugs that really only harm the individual then measuring harm becomes almost impossible in relative terms.

MDMA, LSD, Mushrooms, cannabis, all of these can be really harmful to a small number and relatively safe to a lot.

Heroin, cocaine, barbs, speed, not only harm the individual but because of the drug laws (and the drugs themselves) also can cause a lot of social damage.
  • Options
    Barbs aren't really about much now are they though. Just benzos really and they're not massively abused, it's mostly older drug users and gear users. Kids just take em for comedowns and with a few beers to get wrecked.

Methadone is no less addictive than heroin and w/d are much longer so thats bollocks.

LSD can cause a lot more than anxiety too.

I don't think you can rank drugs like that at all, just categorise them.

Does anybody know if Barbs are still about anywhere? I heard the effects are not too dissimilar but the recreational dose is close to the lethal dose?
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    Does anybody know if Barbs are still about anywhere? I heard the effects are not too dissimilar but the recreational dose is close to the lethal dose?

I've never heard of them, but I think they do exist on the market.

Yep, thats about the jist of it, they have more of a depressant effect and the dose/LD50 is quite close, quite a bit closer than benzo's.
  • Options
    Thought about right.

Benzos are one of the maddest drugs going, god knows what barbs are like :eek2:

I take it they're just as addictive?
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    Thought about right.

Benzos are one of the maddest drugs going, god knows what barbs are like :eek2:

I take it they're just as addictive?

I'm not much of an expert on them to be quite honest, I know they are supposed to be even more 'messed up' (for want of a better term) than benzo's and that memory loss is a very common side effect.

As for the addiction, I'm not sure, I know much like benzo's and alcohol you could technically die if withdrawn too quickly, so I'd say its a hard one to beat.
  • Options
    I know they were still about a fair bit in the 80s. I don't know why they're still made? They don't do anything that benzos cant do. Yet phenobarbital and bulbital are prescription drugs although it's rare.

The prescription drug scene is mind-boggling, some people get prescribed all kinds of stuff Diazepam and Rohypnol and some pretty obscure downers in pretty large amounts.

Not long ago someone round here pinched a doctors case and got a load of mscontins, diazys and even some triazolam.

Fascinating stuff :cool:
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    I know they were still about a fair bit in the 80s. I don't know why they're still made? They don't do anything that benzos cant do. Yet phenobarbital and bulbital are prescription drugs although it's rare.

The prescription drug scene is mind-boggling, some people get prescribed all kinds of stuff Diazepam and Rohypnol and some pretty obscure downers in pretty large amounts.

I think they are still about in other parts of the World, South Africa has a problem with Mandrax, which if my memory serves me right is a barb.

Rohypnol? I didnt think that was on the prescribing list.
  • Options
    I think it is, although its rarely prescribed I think it's still about.

Mandrax, Qualudes... they're a barb I think. You can even smoke 'em. Oldskool those, they're banned just about everywhere.

Another strange thing is, round here people are selling Seroquel on the street.
    It's an anti-psychotic, and just made me feel pretty psychotic and a bit angry. But I didn't relax I was out and it was dark. Gonna try another 25mg in the comfort of my own home. They're supposed to induce some pretty intense dreams and meant to be a great sleep aid, which I'm gonna use when I'm off benzos.
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    Mandrax, Qualudes... they're a barb I think. You can even smoke 'em. Oldskool those, they're banned just about everywhere.

Another strange thing is, round here people are selling Seroquel on the street.
    It's an anti-psychotic, and just made me feel pretty psychotic and a bit angry. But I didn't relax I was out and it was dark. Gonna try another 25mg in the comfort of my own home. They're supposed to induce some pretty intense dreams and meant to be a great sleep aid, which I'm gonna use when I'm off benzos.

Yep, they are smoked, its a problem among the poor population, I guess its a cheap and effective way to forget your troubles, for a while at least. They are imported from India apparently.

When you are off benzo's?
  • Options
    Yeah I'm on a tapering schedule.
    Only 7mg a day now, down to 5 next week. (Diazepam)
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:
    Yeah I'm on a tapering schedule.
    Only 7mg a day now, down to 5 next week. (Diazepam)

OK, I just thought you had finished it. Keep going with it.
  • Options
    Nope unfortunately. Cant wait, theres no mental addiction whatsoever!

Should be easy as long as I take it at the right pace so my body can adjust slowly. I might just do a cold turkey start of next week and get it over and done with, its only a week of feeling shit and then the next week picking yourself back up.

we'll see.