Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it fair to say that Muhammad was a paedophile?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This was one of that things about my (former) religion that I felt most uncomfortable with.

ie the fact that 52 year old Muhammad married Aisha (the daughter of his best friend) when she was only 6 years old, before she had even hit puberty.

And he consumated the marriage when she was 9 years old.

This information is clearly documented in many the authentic Hadiths, which I present to you below:

Sahih Muslim
Book 008, Number 3310:

'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64:
Narrated 'Aisha:

that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 65:
Narrated 'Aisha:

that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that 'Aisha remained with the Prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death)." what you know of the Quran (by heart)'

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88:
Narrated 'Ursa:

The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 5, Book 58, Number 236:
Narrated Hisham's father:

Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married 'Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consumed that marriage when she was nine years old.

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234:
Narrated Aisha:

The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years). We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani-al-Harith bin Khazraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell down. Later on my hair grew (again) and my mother, Um Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing became Allright, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, "Best wishes and Allah's Blessing and a good luck." Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah's Apostle came to me in the forenoon and my mother handed me over to him, and at that time I was a girl of nine years of age.

Abu Dawud
Book 41, Number 4915:
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin:

The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) married me when I was seven or six. When we came to Medina, some women came. according to Bishr's version: Umm Ruman came to me when I was swinging. They took me, made me prepared and decorated me. I was then brought to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), and he took up cohabitation with me when I was nine. She halted me at the door, and I burst into laughter.

Abu Dawud
Book 41, Number 4916:
Narrated AbuUsamah:

The tradition mentioned above (No. 4915) has also been transmitted by AbuUsamah in a similar manner through a different chain of narrators.

This version has: "With good fortune. " She (Umm Ruman) entrusted me to them. They washed my head and redressed me. No one came to me suddenly except the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) in the forenoon. So they entrusted me to him.

Sahih Muslim
Book 008, Number 3311:

'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married her when she was seven years old, and he was taken to his house as a bride when she was nine, and her dolls were with her; and when he (the Holy Prophet) died she was eighteen years old.

Abu Dawud
Book 41, Number 4917:
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin:

When we came to Medina, the women came to me when I was playing on the swing, and my hair were up to my ears. They brought me, prepared me, and decorated me. Then they brought me to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) and he took up cohabitation with me, when I was nine.

Comments

• Options
    This was of course 1400 years ago, and I'm guessing that Muhammad wasn't the only middle aged man who married a very very young girl in those days.

So is it fair to say that Muhammad was a paedophile?

When we hear the word 'paedophile'... we think of sexual perversion towards children. We think of grown adults molesting children etc. Muhammad however married Aisha, so these things can't really be said about Muhammad.

However, Muhammad still had sex with a minor.

So would it be fair to say that Muhammad committed an act of paedophilia?

I've been discussing this on a few Islamic forums... and I thought I'd get the unbiased perspective of you guys too.
  • Options
    If you really want us to say it, then yes, by our laws today, Mohammed would have been branded a paedophile. But you cannot reclassify history by the norms and regulations that we use today.

It changes nothing. If you're trying to be a dick and incite some kind of racial hatred, then you've come to the wrong place. As you yourself mentioned, stuff like that happened over 1400 years ago when that kind of thing was perfectly normal and acceptable. If you're not trying to be a dick and point the finger at Muslims and say, 'Mohammed was a paedo! Run children, there's a Muslimer!', then why are you posting this? I fail to see why you're asking it?

You've presented the long-winded evidence and, yes, using today's labels and definitions, he was technically a paedophile. But then again, so were loads of people back then. What you're saying, in short, is completely meaningless.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input Thunderstruck, but whats with the cynicism I sense in your post?

I simply wanted the unbiased opinion of people on this forum. I've only ever discussed this issue on Islamic forums.

Does it look as if I was trying to 'incite racial hatred'? My post seemed pretty balanced to me. I mentioned the fact that we couldn't accuse Muhammad of sexual perversion, or child molesting... and the fact that Muhammad 'married' her... and the fact that most people 1400 years ago must've married young girls too.

The title of my thread was... Is it fair to say that Muhammad was a paedophile?

Btw, let me remind you that Muslims aren't a 'race'. Even if I curse Muhammad and condemn Islam... you cannot accuse me of being a racist.

And can I also say that I am of Pakistani origin.
  • Options
    No, its really daft. At that time it was very common for girls of that age to be married. So if you're gonna call mohammed a paedophile, you're gonna have to call everyone else around at that time a paedo as well. Which rather scuppers your attempt at shit stirring.
  • Options
    Is it fair to say that Muhammed was a paedophile? Because of the times that they were in, probably not.

However, what I would add though, is that if Muhammed was the perfect servant of the all-knowing Allah (which Islam claims Muhammed is), then Allah is pretty sick if he, with all his knowledge of his creation, allowed a girl with undeveloped sexual and reproductive organs to be fair game for a 52 year old man. The blame lies not with Muhammed but with Allah.
  • Options
    The same can be said of the Christian God though... asking a man to kill his own son for Him, or asking people to be slaughtered for working on the Sabbath, and so on...

The fact is, if there really is a God, and that God is exactly like the holy book in question tell us he is, then he's a really nasty, unpleasant fuck.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The same can be said of the Christian God though... asking a man to kill his own son for Him, or asking people to be slaughtered for working on the Sabbath, and so on...

The fact is, if there really is a God, and that God is exactly like the holy book in question tell us he is, then he's a really nasty, unpleasant fuck.

Oh, I am not defending the Bible - just commenting on Allah - although the examples you choose are Old Testament and not Christianity.
  • Options
    nearly all religions are fucked up, and there are fucked up people throughout history, and things that were fine hundreds of years ago, are not fine now.
    Does it really matter anyway. the guys long dead.
  • Options
    I think if we want a debate on how ancient morality relates to present morality then it should be done in that context, because as people have mentioned this feels like a particularly inflammatory piece of posting. If anyone wants to restart a thread that doesn't feel so spammy that covers these issues in a more general sense (though obviously it can include Muhammad's marriage, Christianities Old Testament support for slavery, and all the other bad shit from thousands of years ago)

It's just that right now this seems pretty deliberate, not to mention spammy.
This discussion has been closed.