Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

post - abortion

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
right well, where to start...

As most of you know, I had an abortion over 2 months ago.

I have had tummy ache now for about a month, so i had a pill check with the nurse today and i mentioned it. she said not to worry, and to go back and book an appointment with the dr if it continues for the next couple of weeks.

However, i came home (decided to take the day off work) and she called me this afternoon and said she spoke to a dr, and suggested i called for an appt. she explained i would need an examination and a scan to check for any remaining tissue and then if so, have to have an operation called a D and C (which is where they clean the womb).

Has anyone ever had this? or know anyone who has? Can this affect my chances of having kids in the future? Coz that is all i want in life.

I have been really emotional lately and crying loads, about things that i personally class as major issues, but that i wouldnt normally cry about. i explained this to her, as well as crying on her, and she said it was just my hormones settling down. i suggested maybe it was the pill, but she didnt think it was, and gave me some more.

Do you think my hormones would still be racing? or do you think its the pill?
Please help me! thanks

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    D&C they basically scrape any stuff out of your womb with an instrument. I don't see why it would affect your fertility.
    I wouldn't worry about being emotional - it's perfectly normal after an abortion. I know i would be.
  • Options
    a D&C will be basically what they did in the abortion anyway I think, unless you had the tablets? Usually they do a D&C I thought, or thats what they used to do . It might be completely unrelated though bunny so dont get yourself into a panic, and a d&c shouldnt affect fertility.
    Your hormones are BOUND to be all over the place still. That could be why youre feeling more emotional, or having mixed feelings about the termination?
  • Options
    no i had the tablets, so i had to pass the pregnancy, which is what they offer if you're under 9 weeks.
    Im just worried all this fiddling down there could cause me problems.
    i wouldn't say im regretting it as such, just still feeling ever so guilty, and yeah, lets just hope it is my hormones...its that or i am turning into some psycho bitch from hell! :p
  • Options
    ah i see, well in the "olden days" they used to do a D&C for all abortions. Thats what I had. its also what they often offer people after miscarriages if there is anything that hasnt passed. They do it all the time and it shouldnt be a problem. If you need it then you need it!

I think your feelings are totally normal. It doesnt mean youre psycho, it just means youre human.
  • Options
    ah i see, well in the "olden days" they used to do a D&C for all abortions. Thats what I had. its also what they often offer people after miscarriages if there is anything that hasnt passed. They do it all the time and it shouldnt be a problem. If you need it then you need it!

I think your feelings are totally normal. It doesnt mean youre psycho, it just means youre human.
    thanks babes, you always know how to make me feel better! :heart:
  • Options
    Medical abortions do have a very small chance of 'failing', I think it's about 1-2% of all medical terminations done, and sometimes, either a very small fragment of tissue remains or the pregnancy did not come out after the 2nd set of tablets have been taken. The normal course of treatment would be a D&C, which clears out the uterus of any remaining tissue. You might hear it being referred to as an ERPC (not a very nice term for anyone, known as evacuation of retained products of conception) but I thought I'd tell you know in case you hear it if you need further treatment.

The D&C itself won't affect fertility - my cousin needed 3 D&Cs after she miscarried each time, and she has 3 healthy children who were delivered with no complications. What can affect fertility is an existing infection, such as chlamydia, normally most places should screen for this beforehand. It sounds as if the hospital will give you an ultrasound scan to check your uterus, they may also do a pregnancy test, and ask about your general wellbeing since the abortion.

Your emotions are totally normal. It's perfectly fine to have days where you feel ok, and days where you don't feel ok. There's no 'typical' response anyone should feel, it varies for everyone and the reasons why they chose to have the abortion. Did you start the pill after the termination, or had you been on the pill before? When I was on the pill, I used to have awful mood swings.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Did you start the pill after the termination, or had you been on the pill before? When I was on the pill, I used to have awful mood swings.

I started Microgynon 30 after the abortion, but i was on logynon years ago, i have to say i dont like being on the pill, but its better to be safe than sorry.

I went to the doctors this morning, and i have an infection (NICE!) due to the hospital not checking me 2 weeks after apparently. but the doctor said it will have absolutely no effect on my fertility, and she promises ill be able to have a baby in the future...not sure how she can PROMISE this, but hey ho, suppose its nice to hear.

However, she did refer me to a mental health nurse, (not quite sure why she cant just call it a counsellor) to sort my head out a bit, apparently i should have been offered it at the time, starting to get the impression that Liverpool Women's werent all that great! so on the waiting list to see her, and fingers crossed ill stop crying soon!

So all is good, in a sense, just a weeks worth of trying to remember ta take 4 tablets a day, and not being able to drink.

Thank you everyone for all the help you have given me throughout this, dont know what i would have been like on my own.