Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am i the only one..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
who doesnt seem to realise how close things are to home sometimes?
My neighbourhood is considered one of the worst in one of the worst citys in the uk for crime (nottingham) but yet i still feel safe walking the streets at any time of day or night and still feel safe when visiting places known to have had violent crimes commited there recently.

For example, a 15 year old girl was dragged off the streets and beaten up by a total stranger for no aparent reason yesterday acording the local newspaper - this happened at a place i walk past every single day about 5 minutes from my house but yet i still have no problem walking past there or anywhere else.

There have been countless shootings in nottingham and someone was stabbed to death about 30 seconds from my old work place not long back but these things just dont seem to affect me.

Is it because ive had no first hand experience of any ofthese crimes and neither have my friends? or is it because ive just become 'immune' to the violence and crime that happens today due to being part of the 'mtv generation'

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's quite the same with me. Until I got robbed the other week, I'm a bit more careful now. But I guess it's going to wear off, like it did the previous time (though that wasn't exactly in my neighborhood, but pretty close).
    Though I've not heard of anything really bad happening here actually (in the last few years), but I doubt it would make much of a difference if I had.
  • Options
    i feel safest walking around manchester than anywhere else. even in "rough" areas.
  • Options
    well noone really thinks anything is going to happen to them do they. plus we like to think we know our area and thus know where we will and won't feel safe.
  • Options
    Im pretty much the same to be honest... my area is pretty rough in parts...
    I was mugged once when I was about 14, but it still dosent seem to affect me. I think its because alot of the time if you dont start trouble you wont get it, I know thats not always the case, but generally its true.

And remember alot of the times the papers make things out to be alot worse than they are.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I think its because alot of the time if you dont start trouble you wont get it, I know thats not always the case, but generally its true.
    There is quite often more to it when people say "these lads just jumped me". But really, there's not much chance of you being the victim of crime when you think about it. I might remember a few incidents of people being mugged or whatever near where I live. I can remember seeing a lot more car wreckages first-hand though, and I don't think I'm going to die every time I get in a car, just like I don't think I'm going to get mugged every time I walk alone at night.
  • Options
    sometimes it's a good idea to be a bit cautious/wary as it makes you take precautions i.e. not using your phone walking down the street but then if you worry too much you'll come across as being vulnerable/an 'easy' target.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    who doesnt seem to realise how close things are to home sometimes?
    My neighbourhood is considered one of the worst in one of the worst citys in the uk for crime (nottingham)

... and the award for the worst city in the UK for everyting else went to stoke-on-trent?
    no offense intended
  • Options
    I get scared. Girls seem to like to start on me. I'm only little!!
  • Options
    I'm the oppsite. I don't live in notts city, infact im on the notts/derbyshire boarder. But i live in a really rough town. That woman who got shot in the jewelers to save her daughter....i can't remember her first name but her surname was Bates - that was my town. There's been loads of anti social behaviour - few murders. Not long ago it was voted the fattest town in the UK and the worse for binge drinking. I live on the edge of a town and whenever i take my dog a walk, im constantly keeping an eye out cause theres loads of long grass pathways and hedges. But being female makes you feel more vulerable.
    I don't like living here at all and can't wait to start a new life somewhere else!
  • Options
    People do get complacent. I don't think there's any particular area in the UK where one can feel perfectly safe, round where I live now there's been attempted rapes, stabbings, random unprovoked attacks, violent crime, damage to cars and shit.... Never ran into trouble myself round here.
    Did elsewhere in town though, got threatened to by a couple of skinheads with a knife (fortunately one of the guys I was with carried a gun), never got into a fight though, people tend to know me and stay away from me. (because of my connections and because of my build)

I don't like it.
    I tend to be over cautious and aware of everything, kinda spoils the fun.
  • Options
    well noone really thinks anything is going to happen to them do they.

I wouldn't say no one. I constantly think these kind of things might happen to me :nervous: :p
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    As Crocidolite can testify you don't really get those things going on in my area. I used to know a bloke who now doign bird for rape though.

Round my way 99% of crimes are likely to be gypsies lifting your strimmer and chainsaw out your shed.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Especially in this area.

Eek :p

You're not wrong! Someone was murdered down the road from here a few months back :eek:

Oddly, I feel loads safer here than I did in my parents house in a much, much nicer area. Maybe it's the shouting woman scaring would-be criminals away. Who needs neighbourhood watch when you have loud scals a couple of doors down? :heart:
  • Options
    Where I live it's pretty quite but I live 2 miles next to a big town, it's rough there but I have no fear, a lot of the time it's a certain way you walk and present yourself. If someone thinks you're weak then they'll attack you, still, I have got into my fair share of hidings walking about the town at night.
  • Options
    Around here yea it's rough sometimes but i've no real fear walking about no matter what time.

It's home after all.

There are some real tramps about though who would start on ya if you looked at them funny but these days it's all about the drugs, everyone's on them and if their not their looking for them.
  • Options
    I swear to fuck though, everyone's running around, " any yokes, any yokes"? due to them being so cheap and with strap too.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Funny how the convo in here always turns to drugs this time of night! :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Isn't it just skive.

The greens not that dear...wouldn't want soapbar again anyway, hasn't been around here for aages.
  • Options
    Bold boys...God is the only drug. :angel:
  • Options
    That talking about green made me want a nice green reefer, how green is so much better than brown.

Probably take me twice as long now to get this essay typed out.
  • Options
    Good lad maddog. :D
  • Options
    Yeroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
  • Options
    miaow
  • Options
    Long gone mate.
  • Options
    hmm .. im from a pretty rough area and its one of the places i feel safest in

but belfast is fairly dodgy, espically at certain times of the year - you really do have to watch yourself.. you're taking your life into your hands just walking down the street sometimes

and there are a lot of places in belfast i wouldnt go anywhere near, complete no go areas :no: