Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Graphic images in the news

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wondered what you all think of graphic images of dead and injured people in the news, on TV news and in newspapers?

I think in a way it is important to show the reality of things that happen so people realise the truth of what goes on, especially in war situations. But in another way it could be seen as insenstive to the people involved, or unnecessary if children are watching. Maybe there should be a watershed on news showing graphic images?

I've found some of the things I've seen on the news in the last few days upsetting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I would rather know what was going on than get a sanitised version. What do you think? When the bombings happened in London last year did they show dead bodies? (I can't remember)

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've heard that during the war in Vietnam, TVs in the USA showed very graphic images. This had the effect of people getting angry at their government and going in the streets.

So yes, they should show the reality of things, graphic or not. If they don't it's easier for people to become deluded and not understand how bad things really are.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Maybe there should be a watershed on news showing graphic images?
    There is.

It's an interesting argument. Let me put this to everyone. Should the hostages being beheaded be shown on television? How about those scenes a while back of two soldiers bodies being dragged through the streets in Iraq, and then strung up? There's always the argument with TV news that it's put directly into someone's living room, so there's not much chance of them being able to decide whether it's something they want to watch until they've already seen it. In films or documentaries, you can get away with showing these sorts of things, because people have to make a conscious effort to go and see it.
  • Options
    There is.

It's an interesting argument. Let me put this to everyone. Should the hostages being beheaded be shown on television? How about those scenes a while back of two soldiers bodies being dragged through the streets in Iraq, and then strung up? There's always the argument with TV news that it's put directly into someone's living room, so there's not much chance of them being able to decide whether it's something they want to watch until they've already seen it. In films or documentaries, you can get away with showing these sorts of things, because people have to make a conscious effort to go and see it.

They can give warnings before showing such images to the public on television which would give them the choice. It's their problem if they watch it and don't like it.

I see no problem and like previous answers, it shows the reality and concequences of things.
  • Options
    So yes, they should show the reality of things, graphic or not. If they don't it's easier for people to become deluded and not understand how bad things really are.
    I know. It'd be interesting how many of the people who argue against such images being shown are the same people who support sending the troops over there. I think people should know the real consequences of war, because it's all too easy to be an armchair general. But equally, if you only show the bad things (which inevitably will happen) then you won't get a realistic picture of the conflict, because 1% of the really violent and graphic incidents will get 99% of the coverage.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    They can give warnings before showing such images to the public on television which would give them the choice. It's their problem if they watch it and don't like it.
    And what if you switch over half way through?
  • Options
    I've heard that during the war in Vietnam, TVs in the USA showed very graphic images. This had the effect of people getting angry at their government and going in the streets.

That is indeed correct. I'm not that bothered by the images and think that they should be shown.
  • Options

True, i didn't think of that :blush:
  • Options
    It's possible to switch over to a film or documentary halfway through too.
  • Options
    It's possible to switch over to a film or documentary halfway through too.
    Thats why films are cut for television.
  • Options
    Thats why films are cut for television.
    They are? That's, quite honestly, stupid. What's the point in showing them then?
  • Options
    They are? That's, quite honestly, stupid. What's the point in showing them then?
    Not as much any more, but they used to a lot. But one example is that in Pulp Fiction, they're not allowed to show the bit where he takes heroin, because it basically shows people how to do it and I guess they don't want kids trying to copy.
  • Options
    The media should not self-censor, removing anything that could possibly prove upsetting to viewers would be wrong; but at the same time the media's role goes beyond dwelling on a handful of emotive and graphic images. The media is there to report the story, which should consider both sides and perhaps involve taking a step back and considering the bigger picture. It should too be noted that especially in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict there are a catalogue of cases of the Palestinian side manipulating and doctoring images for propagandistic purposes that are then later shown around the world.
  • Options
    Don't forget the Lebanese. Asking all those children yesterday to get under a demolished building, cover themselves in dirt and play dead.

The cheek of it!
  • Options
    So what about those hostage takings and beheadings? Should they be shown?
  • Options
    No. The report is usually upsetting enough, there is no need to show the beheading.
  • Options

I always wonder what effect a media blackout would have on hostage takings. Do you think the number of incidents of it would reduce if the hostage takers realised it wouldnt get media coverage?

I suppose it would serve to make some people more sceptical about what the government wants us to see and what it wants kept hidden though...
  • Options
    I'm torn. I'd hate to see censorship, but mroe tact should be used by the media when reporting things.

I can't forgive The Sun for showing pictures of Foe as he died on the football field, and I can't forgive the Evening Standard for showing graphic pictures of a woman who had committed suicide out of a tower block before even her husband had been told. That was just cheap journalism, all about the shock to sell papers.

I think in trying to avoid censorship we are creating a media which can, and does, do anything in order to sell a paper. Sod the dignity of the victims, lets get some blood on the front page.