Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do i connect my HD?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No im not dumb, i know how to connect 2 up...:yeees:

Okay heres the long story cut short, i have 20 Hds, all about 5 gig and i want to connect them all up and add them to my router to create a mini server:chin:

Is it possible?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Make a simple RAID array.

http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/PoorMansRaid/PoorMansRaid.aspx

I don't know... I think it depends on how many the mobo will support though if you connect them all to the mobo... check its manual. If you ain't got it, google it. You can download them from the manufacturer site usually.
  • Options
    Oh My God....

Its basicaly making a server box!!!

Well, ive broken up from school:cool: And im helping out my the IT Departement and we are chucking away about 30 computers, mabye even more now on the HHDs are only the os, what im thinking is why not format them and connect them all up.

theres no problems getting hands on fans because we are taking afew of the pcs apart tomorow and taking the ram, and things.

But god, i thought i could just connect a few up and hook it to my router...

Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Oh My God....

Its basicaly making a server box!!!

Well, ive broken up from school:cool: And im helping out my the IT Departement and we are chucking away about 30 computers, mabye even more now on the HHDs are only the os, what im thinking is why not format them and connect them all up.

theres no problems getting hands on fans because we are taking afew of the pcs apart tomorow and taking the ram, and things.

But god, i thought i could just connect a few up and hook it to my router...

Any other thoughts?

Hey... I'd pay the postage if you post me some mbo's with RAM and processors? 2 to 5 maybe? PLEASE I have urgent need (as in, I want to make insane projects).

Erm, as I said... check what the mobo can handle. You'd obviously need, like, a huge ribbon cable with infinite connectors. Rember the mobo only has two plugs for IDE cables... and standards cables have only two connectors.

Making life awkward.

But seriously... making the RAID array is cheap... and easy. Do it! You know you want too... it'd be like your own uber file sever.
  • Options
    These computers are VERY low spec.

But if you willing ill see if im allowed:yum:
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    These computers are VERY low spec.

But if you willing ill see if im allowed:yum:

I am going to be building them into things like VCR's and CD players...

As such, I don't care on spec. :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But seriously... making the RAID array is cheap... and easy. Do it! You know you want too... it'd be like your own uber file sever.
    I thought RAID was an SATA only thing.
  • Options
    As far as i know ( and it aint much ) Raid has been round for ages?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    CoolMe wrote:
    As far as i know ( and it aint much ) Raid has been round for ages?
    AFAIK, yes. S-ATA just made it far easier.
  • Options
    AFAIK, yes. S-ATA just made it far easier.

As I thought really... ;/

RAID isn't SATA only. RAID arrays have been around yonks!
  • Options
    Well, we been taking some apart and the HDs are only 20 gig and the IT guy is going to help me on monday and we are going to try that so ill keep you guys posted.

If anyone has any other ideas how i can make my own mini server with say 5 of these?
  • Options
    No other ideas... what spec are those machines roughly? I certainly have planned a few ideas... will he let ya have the mobo's and processors?
  • Options
    5 20gb hard drives?

And as Gerbil says, what spec are your boxes and what type of server are you wanting to make?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    No other ideas... what spec are those machines roughly? I certainly have planned a few ideas... will he let ya have the mobo's and processors?

Well not really, because he was going on about some other things and all this and bla bla.

Im so sorry:banghead:
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    5 20gb hard drives?

And as Gerbil says, what spec are your boxes and what type of server are you wanting to make?

Well im wanting to make something that I can put all my stuff on and not have to worrie much?

A mini type server like 160 gigs?
  • Options
    Nice update::)

Well I had my screen name set and wernt getting many replies, then someone replied saying some stuff and basicaly just plug 2 more into a base unit and use it like that and get a PCI card that has 2 slot things on and connect another 2 up so on monday im going to do just that, because theres plenty of pcs but very low spec:yuck:
  • Options
    Well it's easy to do, how many IDE cables can your mobo take?

Or did you say your usinf SATA?
  • Options
    These are all IDE, and im not sure, ill have to check monday