Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MUFC Striker Issue...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well, according to the BBC, Torres is staying in Madrid...

So what next, when RvN goes? Rooney, Saha and Solksjaer are not gonna win the big matches...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Rossi is a striker, no?

Maybe he can get one of the big names from Italy?
  • Options
    Rossi will go on loan, he needs some experience before being dropped in it like that...
  • Options
    Alan Smith can play up front cant he? He is the one that broke his leg isnt he? Is he back soon..?
  • Options
    This do look a bit bare up front, but with Scholes back you should get more goals from midfield surely.

IMHO the problems at United have been overblown a little bit. Sure they're there but at the end of the day I can't see them finishing outside the top four even minus horseface.
  • Options
    RvN has been scoring 20+ goals for Man Utd for the last 5 seasons....

None of the others will score that many especially if Man Utd are commited to 4 competitions.

I am sure another striker would be needed, not sure who though, any of the relegated Italisn clubs squads available?

trezeguet, Toni perhaps?
  • Options
    think of how NUFC feel about strikers at the moment
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    think of how NUFC feel about strikers at the moment

How many do they have who aren't injured?
  • Options
    not many
  • Options
    Just bought Duff though, and Luque isn't crap.

As for MUFC, they need a new striker. Just the one, Saha and Rooney are a very good main partnership. Saha kept horseyboy out of the team for a reason. It's just that if one of them is injured or suspended there isn't anyone experienced or fully fit to come in for them.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    IMHO the problems at United have been overblown a little bit. Sure they're there but at the end of the day I can't see them finishing outside the top four even minus horseface.

Yea, but anything outside the top 2 is big failure for us. We want to push Chelsea all the way.

I've said Luca Toni from Fiorentina all along. He's a goalscoring machine, and although Torres is good, he's not an out and out goalscorer.

I'm more concerned about midfield though.
  • Options
    United need a major major overhaul in midfield, i think the defence is sorted one more striker who as mentioned should be Toni.
  • Options
    You don't need the very best strikers in the world if you create enough chances. The Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke partnership proved that. They were both decent, but neither were world class. And a even Shevchenko wouldn't score loads at Man Utd at the moment, because their midfield isn't nearly good enough. Saha has proved he could score 20 goals a season given the chances. I don't actually think that Eto'o is one of the very best, he just get's shitloads of chances for Barca with all of those awesome creative players around him.

Utd need one or two absolute world class creative midfielders imo. Scholes and Giggs can both do a job, but neither is near their best. In fact, the last time Scholes was playing week-in, week-out, I don't think he was scoring at his usual rate. Ronaldo is improving every season, but he still creates nowhere near the number of goalscoring chances that Beckham did from the right. Park Ji Sung? Decent squad player, but he's never going to terrorise the best defences in the world. I don't know why they didn't go for Damien Duff. I don't know whether Chelsea would've sold him to Utd, but he would've been an excellent addition, especially if he had the sharpness of playing every week. In my opinion, Duff is one of the best in the world when he's on form.
  • Options
    I don't actually think that Eto'o is one of the very best, he just get's shitloads of chances for Barca with all of those awesome creative players around him..

Come on, the man's fantastic. He's got it all - pace, skill, eye for goal, head etc. He's probably the best striker in the world.

Even at Mallorca he was exceptional.

I don't know why they didn't go for Damien Duff. I don't know whether Chelsea would've sold him to Utd, but he would've been an excellent addition, especially if he had the sharpness of playing every week. In my opinion, Duff is one of the best in the world when he's on form.

Yea, Chelsea are understandably not in the business of selling to their main rivals. I think Duff would have chosen Liverpool over us anyway, him being a fan. It's nice to see players wanting to leave Chelsea though, for the good of their career. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Come on, the man's fantastic. He's got it all - pace, skill, eye for goal, head etc. He's probably the best striker in the world.

Even at Mallorca he was exceptional.
    Hmm, I put him in the same league as the likes of Crespo, Trezeguet or Owen. He's obviously quality, but he's not a really special player like Shevchenko or Henry in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hmm, I put him in the same league as the likes of Crespo, Trezeguet or Owen. He's obviously quality, but he's not a really special player like Shevchenko or Henry in my opinion.

I'd certainly say he's of a much higher standard than Crespo, Trezeguet or Owen. He's got alot more to his game than any of those three.

Eto'o is comparable to Shevchenko who's the wrong side of 30, and he's not a bottler like Henry, which why I rate him as probably the best in the world.
  • Options
    ......Aaaaaannnnnd, he's gone. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5225694.stm

£10.2m. Are the Utd fans happy with that? And do you think it was a footballing decision that he's gone?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Alan Smith can play up front cant he? He is the one that broke his leg isnt he? Is he back soon..?

Yeah. I read in the Torygraph yesterday that Ferguson, having failed to make Smith into a Roy Keane type holding midfielder is going to play him up front as he used to play. Hence the purchase of Carrick.

That said, I think Rooney needs someone else to play off. Guess we'll see how Fergie plays it.
  • Options
    ......Aaaaaannnnnd, he's gone. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5225694.stm

£10.2m. Are the Utd fans happy with that? And do you think it was a footballing decision that he's gone?

Well, the writings been on the wall for a while now. Certainly there was a falling out, and he wasn't getting any younger. Alot of people would say that getting over £10 million for a striker over 30 is good business, unless you're selling to the Chel$ki mugs.

We showed last season that we can use Saha and Rooney very effectively. Rossi is a prodigious talent but he's still very young. Solskjaer is injury prone. I think if the right deal for a striker came along then we'd probably go for it. Fergie's always said you need 4 good strikers at your disposal.

I'd take another midfielder first though. Carrick and Scholes looks tasty, but the cover is Fletcher and other out-of-position people like Smith and Giggs. We'll see.
  • Options
    I hear Nicholas Anelka's looking for a move back to the Premiership. :lol:
  • Options
    I hear Nicholas Anelka's looking for a move back to the Premiership. :lol:

Liverpool seem to like the problem players these days (Bellamy & Pennant). Perhaps they'll go in for him.