Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

WiFi Users - What Channel Do You Use?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For years I was using Channel 3, but then we got a TV Sender and it interfered so switch to Chnnel 13 to get as far away fromthe TV Sender's Signal as possible

BUT Just got a centrino laptop with built in WiFi and it only appears to go to channel 11 so gone down to 11 for the home network.

Only I'm wondering if 11 interferes with BlueTooth?

Comments

• Options
    Ours is on channel 6.
  • Options
    I use channel 11
  • Options
    I'm on channel 11.
  • Options
    Channel 1 uses lower frequency than channel 11. If I remember rightly, lower frequency can penetrate brick and wood etc. (basically walls in your house) more easily. Therefore, if coverage is important maybe using lower channel will help.

There is some generalisation that says the further appart the channels the less cross-channel interferance. However, let say you're copying files over wireless connection which uses channel 11, another device operating on channel 1 in proximity will have *some* effect on throughput.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Ours is on channel 6.

6 aint cool dude .. switch to 11 like us :thumb:
  • Options
    Ours is on 11 at home. I can't tell you what it is at the offices!!!
  • Options
    Were on 11 . Join the crew =]
  • Options
    I think 11's the default for that kinda thing
  • Options
    You have it 11 if your uber cool maaaaaan! :cool:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    I think 11's the default for that kinda thing

Mine was 3 when I got it - but now 6 sits right in the middle of the band that things like TV Senders use. 11 is out of that band. 13 is even better... but one of my Wifi cards wont go that high, my router can do 14 if you tell it you're in Japan.
  • Options
    Knobbbly wrote:
    Channel 1 uses lower frequency than channel 11. If I remember rightly, lower frequency can penetrate brick and wood etc. (basically walls in your house) more easily. Therefore, if coverage is important maybe using lower channel will help.

There is some generalisation that says the further appart the channels the less cross-channel interferance. However, let say you're copying files over wireless connection which uses channel 11, another device operating on channel 1 in proximity will have *some* effect on throughput.

thankyou you have solved my problem. i was having intermittent signal strength. just waiting on my flate mate to come and knock on my door complaining his xbox isn't connecting to xboxLive™. will it autodetect new router settings then?
    thanks, alex (now broadcasting on channel 1)
  • Options
    I did use 11 When i had my wireless B Router, But i then brought a wireless G! And the its on 1 and i can walk alllllllllllllll the way to the back of the house just outside the door:cool: and it was still a perfect connection

Even tho the router is in the study at the front of house