Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone getting Sky ADSL?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone thinking about switch to Sky TV for their ADSL?

If you're already with sky and plan to be for the next 12 months their packages aint bad

free for upto 2GB
£5 per month for upto 40GB
£10 for Unlimited

I recon I could get away with 40gb per month

Comments

• Options
    i got a letter about this the other day from sky

awwww man how i do with that this is a half decent service
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    awwww man how i do with that this is a half decent service

Huh?
  • Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Considering doing this at home as we have a few users now. Not sure on the quality of service though. Seems to be a new product for the most part. Will be doing some more research about it in the coming weeks. Hope that I can get out of the BT contract inexpensively.
  • Options
    I'll let it get around a bit first and see how it is. If it's any good then I might switch. There is bound to be some catch once it's gone live.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I'll let it get around a bit first and see how it is. If it's any good then I might switch. There is bound to be some catch once it's gone live.

12 month contract and you have to be a sky customer.

It's likely BT / NTL are going to cut their prices in order to compete, so switching may only be 'better value' in the very short term. Currently though...

2mb annually with NTL = £300 (no cap)
    2mb with 2gb cap annually with sky = £90 (installation fee)

however,

16mb with NO cap annually with sky = £120.

Seems well worth it to me, but mum shouts at me when I suggest it saying she doesn't have enough money! :p But we're with NTL which is costing us loads at the moment.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually read their terms and conditions?
    Minimum subscription to your chosen Sky Broadband Product is 12 months. You must be a UK active residential Sky TV subscriber throughout your Sky Broadband subscription. Sky Broadband is only available to Sky TV subscribers paying by Direct Debit/continuous credit card mandate. Availability and speeds are subject to your location, a compatible line, equipment and survey.

Monthly subscription: Base - Free; Mid - £5; Max - £10; Connect - £17. Activation fee: Base - £40; Mid - £20; Max – free; Connect – £40. SHS Home Installation: Free if you subscribe to Sky Broadband Max, otherwise £50. Prices subject to change.

Monthly usage limit: Base: 2GB; Mid – 40GB; Max – Unlimited subject to Fair Usage Policy; Connect – 40GB. Maximum download speed: Base – up to 2Mb; Mid – up to 8Mb; Max – up to 16Mb; Connect – up to 8Mb. Maximum upload speed: Base – up to 400Kb; Mid – up to 400Kb; Max – up to 768Kb; Connect – up to 448Kb.

If your PC or laptop is not wireless enabled you can buy the necessary equipment from Sky.

If you are a PC user you will receive 12 months free McAfee Internet Security Suite worth £49.98. If you are a MAC user you will receive 12 months free McAfee Virex worth £29.99.

Eligibility and other terms apply.

Savings apply to Sky TV customers choosing a standalone broadband product and assume that you are not in the minimum term of a broadband contract.

Information correct at July 2006.
    CLOSE WINDOW

Seems like a lot of money to install and activate. Am I the only one concerned when companies repeat "up to" so many times?
  • Options
    Seems well worth it to me, but mum shouts at me when I suggest it saying she doesn't have enough money! :p But we're with NTL which is costing us loads at the moment.

If you've been with them for more than 12 months, talk to their retentions department. They can do some magic compared to the listed pricelist :).
  • Options
    I've been with Sky for as long as I can remember so if it cuts costs then I go with them.

That "up to" means just that... up to 2MB for that package. Plus their fee's are ok, they are giving you FREE ADSL, it wouldn't bother me as they are only one off.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually read their terms and conditions?

Seems like a lot of money to install and activate. Am I the only one concerned when companies repeat "up to" so many times?

I'm pretty sure BT charge all ADSL providers £40 to activate a New ADSL Connection so I think that money is mainly going to BT - and a Netgear WiFi router is being provided as well.

I think whatever happens the news Sky is coming into ADSL Market is great for competition

Sky are one of the few companies out there that understand technology pretty well. If you have one of their Sky+ boxes that records programs which I do have and compare it to a freeview PVR the two are like night and day - I barely touch the Freeview box cos it's so damn annoying to program TV Programmes on it.

We've had Sky TV for like 7 years now - I'd rather pay them £400 a year for TV from sky with several hundred channels to view then £150 or whatever it is to the BBC for their 2 channels.

The £5 per month deal I don't think anyone can touch else can touch... I'd like to know more details onthings like what ports they block, file sharing, etc

If it was just my parents at home then the free 2gb per month service would be fine for them cos all they do is check their emails once day.

The only thing stopping me from taking up the offer is I'm looking to move out within 12 months.

Their T&C's look perfectly fair to me - if anything they look too simplistic - Sky want to keep customer with them, espacially with Freeview taking off and giving free ADSL is a good way to keep you with them for 12 months.
  • Options
    im going for the £10 a month 16mb unlimited one i think! sounds good to me.
  • Options
    when its available in your area, thats the main catch.
  • Options
    "up to" is of no concern - it simply covers the broadband company's backside, because some users may not be able to get (for example) 8mb, due to the connection ratio (number of users sharing the connection e.g. 50:1) and the distance you are from the exchange (less of an issue in city areas).

Sky's offer is good as it allows existing customers the chance to have an internet and TV service from a single supplier (the race for companies to provide all in one services, such as NTL Telewest do), at prices which are comparable to those already on the market.

I'm looking to sign up to the 16mb option, meaning I pay £10 for internet, £15 for Sky and £11 for BT line rental = £36. I'm getting a lot more TV channels and a better (albeit on paper) broadband service. Compared with NTL Telewest's introductory 3 for £30, Sky are offering a good deal.

I expressed my interest, and was told signups would start in August. I think the service will be good - it's essentially what it's bought out from easynet, signalling a (hopeful) move away from thus plc. Given easynet's telecoms part too, I think we will soon see a triple package being offered by Sky.
  • Options
    I'm paying £15 a month for plusnet which was an improvement in price from pipex when I moved away from them like 2 years ago which was like £23 a month.

Any speed much above 1 mb/s is unstable for me - so I'm not worried about speed too much - it won't make much difference to my email or browsing.

So for me the £5 per month package looks right.

My main concerns are with things like customer service, how technical are their staff?, etc I like the fact plusnet staff seem like techies - I don't want to have to switch from that to normal call centre staff at sky who wouldn't know a lightbulb from a hard drive.

But yay for Sky - cos this move is just major pressure on all the ISP's to get their act together!!