Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Antibiotics and tmi

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and the shits :yuck: what do you do if you get them? Do you just carry on taking them and try to keep hydrated?
Are they even gonna stay in my body long enough? urgh

Comments

• Options
    I've always been told to keep your stomache good while on antibiotics, eat yogurt.

Antibiotics kill not only harmful bacteria; they also kill the healthy ones in the intestines. The live bacterial cultures in yogurt can help replenish the intestines with helpful bacteria before the harmful ones take over. I usually "prescribe" a daily dose of yogurt while a person is taking antibiotics and for two weeks thereafter.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045700.asp

heres another site too
  • Options
    Thanks, i will try that.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've always been told to keep your stomache good while on antibiotics, eat yogurt.

Antibiotics kill not only harmful bacteria; they also kill the healthy ones in the intestines. The live bacterial cultures in yogurt can help replenish the intestines with helpful bacteria before the harmful ones take over. I usually "prescribe" a daily dose of yogurt while a person is taking antibiotics and for two weeks thereafter.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045700.asp

heres another site too
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah pro biotic. :)
  • Options
    Keep going with them, if possible take them straight after your last visit to the loo that way they will have most time in your system. Give the doctor a ring, or the pharmacist in the morning and check with them the best course of action.
  • Options
    When I took some antibiotics recently, the nurse told me that if I had vomitting or diarrhoea less than 3 hours after taking a dose of the antibiotics, I should keep taking the antibiotics but call the nure/doctor just to check its ok.
    hope you feel better soon
  • Options
    I hate taking antibiotics. I think antioxidants do the trick alot better.
  • Options
    Unfortunately one of the most common side effects of antibiotics is diarrhoea which does not usually resolve until you finish the course. The only thing you can do is keep hydrated, as it should not affect the efficiency of the drugs. hope yo get better soon :thumb:
  • Options
    Was reading a study that said that probiotic products are good for antibiotic induced diarrhoea.

ETA: You don't need to buy the expensive drinks, you can get probiotics capsules for instance