Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

#If you're going to San Francisco...#

KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sing along with me: #Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair#

Now that I've got that song in your head for the rest of the day, please could you give me some advice on great bars, shops and restaurants to go if you've been to SF? Especially around the Castro district as that's where I'll be staying...

I hear there's a tattooist/coffee shop somewhere there which sounds like my idea of heaven. If you can confirm that this isn't a myth, please let me know.

Also, has anyone been to Oakland/Berkley?

Ta.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Castro is the gay district of the world innit?

Corner of castro and market or something?

have fun!
  • Options
    #Bring some anal lube#
  • Options
    #Bring some anal lube#

:rolleyes:

Sadly, as such comments prove, homophobia exists.
  • Options
    Call the cops and ask for Ironside!
  • Options
    Hell yeah. Get Dirty Harry on the case, too.
  • Options
    ironside.jpeg
  • Options
    Karl Malden & Micheal Douglas in 'The Streets of San Fransico.'

cast.jpg
  • Options
    I went a few years ago and can´t remember specific restaurants but I remember it was good. Got to walk across Golden Gate bridge and do a day trip to Alcatraz though.

A friend of mine from uni spent a year in Berkeley and from what he has told me it is full of freaks (fruitarians etc).
  • Options
    Kimono wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Sadly, as such comments prove, homophobia exists.

#Be sure to bring a sense of irony#
  • Options
    Visited couple of years ago, really good. Got to see the steep road where Bulitt was filmed. Alcatraz is a must. Go and see the worlds most fucked up street..

lombard-street-picture.jpg
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    #Be sure to bring a sense of irony#

You may not have noticed, but this is the internet. Bulletin boards don't carry 'irony' (are you sure that's what you meant?), sarcasm or any other kind of subtle nuance very well. It just came across as homophobic. That kind of comment has the potential to get you banned, whether you intend it to be 'ironic' or not.
  • Options
    I've travelled a fair bit and San Francisco has been my favourite city.

Are you staying in a hotel? If your looking for a hostel I *highly* recommend the Green Tortoise hostel (I think that's it, might be green turtle) because its probably the best hostel I've ever stayed in.

You get free bagels every morning, free coffee and tea throughout the day. Three times a week there are free communal dinners and they ask guests to chip in and help cook.

The common room is great with a piano and guitars and the atmosphere was amazing...oh and you can smoke in there (the common room) which in California is a huge fucking plus if your a smoker and they don't care about weed...we had bongs out and everything.

As for the rest of SF

Telegraph avenue in Berkley is a must, very cool hippy street. Think it was scene of student riots in the 60s.

Ameoba records is another must! Give yourself some time in there because you wont be able to tear yourself away.

Would definitley reccomend Alcatraz.

You can hire bikes near where the ferry leaves for alcatraz and cycle over the golden gate bridge to this gorgeous little town on the other side. Fucking amazing!

Other people have pointed out some of the other more obvious stuff like the windy road. Try just having a wander because there are a lot of cool cafe's and art galleries that you can spend hours hopping to and from.

Oh and check out what gigs are going on because there are some great venues.
  • Options
    Thankyou so much for your advice. My 'to do' list is growing ever-longer - not sure if 10 days is going to be enough!

Jon UK - thanks loads for the tips about Berkley, I'll definitely take some time out to go to Amoeba Records. I was wondering about whether it would be worth heading out that way (I've heard mixed things about Oakland/Berkley) but as it's pretty much the birthplace of certain bands and music I've listened to since my teens, I guess it would be a sin not to pay homage.
  • Options
    Kimono wrote:
    Jon UK - thanks loads for the tips about Berkley, I'll definitely take some time out to go to Amoeba Records. I was wondering about whether it would be worth heading out that way (I've heard mixed things about Oakland/Berkley) but as it's pretty much the birthplace of certain bands and music I've listened to since my teens, I guess it would be a sin not to pay homage.

I think its worth it and the underground system (forget what its called) makes getting to either of them pretty easy. Can't have taken more than 30 mins of so from central SF
  • Options
    There's an arcade museum?

*Quivers with excitement*

Is there anything that San Francisco doesn't have that's been missing in my life?

I've heard about the 'street entertaiment' - wonder if I'll see the Bushman?