Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Direction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no idea what I want to do with my life/career. I completed 6th form a few years ago and rather than going to uni, I went straight into work (first mistake). I have now been doing office work for the past 2 years or so. I can now see that it is not going anywhere, cannot progress any higher and the only other alternative would be to go into a similar role at another company; which I do not want to do. I seem to be stuck in a rut. I am thinking about going to uni in 2007 (will be 21 then) but I have no idea what to study. I think uni will be good for me, as I feel that if not I will be missing out on a lot that will benefit me. Now I know that I am not going to get an answer here and everything will be sorted, but those of you who have been through this before, how did you cope with it and did it all work out ok? And any ideas on how to work out what I want?

Comments

• Options
    what would going to uni achieve?
  • Options
  • Options
    what would going to uni achieve?

I do not know exactly. I just think that by taking up a course and following that field, I would have some idea what to do at the end of it. I also feel that it would good for me on the social and 'standing on your own two feet' way
  • Options
    You need to work out what you want to do first.

I tried uni but I dropped out because a) I was and still am far too lazy to muck in off my own initative, and b) I picked the totally wrong course because I felt I had to go to uni to make something of myself.

Just a matter of weighing it up and making a decision.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    I do not know exactly. I just think that by taking up a course
    what course?
  • Options
    it's not too late to go back, i went straight into work from school for 4 years before coming to the same conclusions you have. At least you did the whole 6th form thing, i had to go to college and take a two year course before i could even be considered for any uni's. I've just finished my college course now though (took a BND in IT) and should be starting a business degree in september.
    Sure you'll be skint for a few years and have to work your bollocks off to earn a bit of cash part time but i think it'll be worth it in the end.
    Plus you'll have an advantage at the end of it all because you'll have a degree and experience - the full package!
  • Options
    what course?

I have no idea. I lack any ideas of what I want to do. Been to see a 'careers' person and it did not help at all.

Thanks Icey. I have been thinking aout it for over a year now, so I think I should go for it.
  • Options
    Try the Stamford Test on www.ucas.com that should give you a better idea of what you want to do.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Try the Stamford Test on www.ucas.com that should give you a better idea of what you want to do.

Thanks Sofie.

It gave me the following -

subject areas :

Psychology Marketing
    Management Social Studies/Science

I was thinking about marketing or a social science, so it was quite helpful.
  • Options
    go on the dole?
  • Options
    go on the dole?

I would rather stay in the job I have than go on the dole.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Thanks Sofie.

It gave me the following -

subject areas :

Psychology Marketing
    Management Social Studies/Science

I was thinking about marketing or a social science, so it was quite helpful.

You might want to talk to people who have done those degrees/worked in those types of areas to give you an idea of what stuff you're likely to study. Also, try to get some work experience.
  • Options
    If you find a magic answer, let me know!

I'm always a little bit envious of people who know exactly what they want to do and have a real passion for their job. I've done my degree, and I've been in a grad job for a couple of years, but I always feel like I'm doing what I'm doing cause I'm good at it, and not necessarily cause it's what I'd like to do. I've got a good few years on you and I still don't know what I really want to be when I grow up :p
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    If you find a magic answer, let me know!

I'm always a little bit envious of people who know exactly what they want to do and have a real passion for their job. I've done my degree, and I've been in a grad job for a couple of years, but I always feel like I'm doing what I'm doing cause I'm good at it, and not necessarily cause it's what I'd like to do. I've got a good few years on you and I still don't know what I really want to be when I grow up :p

I think quite a few people are like that as well. I certainly am. (of course, this probably won't matter for me for a bit 'cause I'm not going to uni or college for a few years yet)
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    I have no idea what I want to do with my life/career. I completed 6th form a few years ago and rather than going to uni, I went straight into work (first mistake). I have now been doing office work for the past 2 years or so. I can now see that it is not going anywhere, cannot progress any higher and the only other alternative would be to go into a similar role at another company; which I do not want to do. I seem to be stuck in a rut. I am thinking about going to uni in 2007 (will be 21 then) but I have no idea what to study. I think uni will be good for me, as I feel that if not I will be missing out on a lot that will benefit me. Now I know that I am not going to get an answer here and everything will be sorted, but those of you who have been through this before, how did you cope with it and did it all work out ok? And any ideas on how to work out what I want?

Bournemouth Uni has got a good Marketing Course.
    And UEA has got a good Social Sciences Dept.
    They've got a good course there, Psychosocial Sciences!!

Anyway, you don't need to go back to uni, why don't you go travelling for a year, do something crazy to get yourself out of the comfort zone, shake your life up a little, and don't worry about not knowing where your life is going or supposed to go, some people never figure it out!!