Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

newquay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hey, me and my friends are going down to newquay for a week next month. Sooo excited! :hyper:

However, we're all 17. We find it fairly easy to get into bars and clubs in our hometown without being asked for ID, but I know some people who have been to Newquay before and they say it's a lot stricter down there so it's not worth going without ID. :(

Is this really the case? Anyone been before?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    tbh its pretty much the same everywhere you go bar abroard.
    Some places will be strict on id, others not so strict. Its the not-so-strict places that are better anyway imo
  • Options
    I went there when I was 18... (5 years ago) I think I got ID'ed about twice the whole week and I look younger than I am!

But things could have changed alot! There are alot of bars and clubs there though, so just keep trying! Somewhere will let you in!

Its a wicked place though, I loved it there!
  • Options
    I went when i was that age. They're pretty strict on ID at the clubs. You can get in the odd pub though. Or do what we did and spend the night with other people the same age drinking alcohol from the off license. :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yea, I'm really hoping we will get in somewhere because the nightlife is a big part of the holiday. Lots of people have said they're sure somewhere will let us in, because 16-18 year olds are probably one of Newquay's main sources of income! So I'm just hoping this is the case.
  • Options
    Just watch out for all the stag groups, as Newquay gets a LOT this time of year. Just keep trying pub/clubs until you can get into one. And dont go to Berties nightclub whatever you do.
  • Options
    And dont go to Berties nightclub whatever you do.

Why?
    I like it in there!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Why?
    I like it in there!

Apparantly its full of stag/hen groups, good club though from what I've heard. But its maybe not suitable for a bunch of teenagers (ie the OP). I cant stand clubs full of stag/hen groups, and brighton is full of them, plus I work for a company that organises them so that puts me off even more.
  • Options
    Apparantly its full of stag/hen groups, good club though from what I've heard. But its maybe not suitable for a bunch of teenagers (ie the OP). I cant stand clubs full of stag/hen groups, and brighton is full of them, plus I work for a company that organises them so that puts me off even more.

Oh right... I dont think I noticed at the time... but as I say, it was about 5 years ago now!
    I had litrally just turned 18, so I was just more than happy just to be out legally drinking! lol
  • Options
    ahh i've heard of Berties, it's near where we're staying. ok, il keep clear of that one!
  • Options
    ahh i've heard of Berties, it's near where we're staying. ok, il keep clear of that one!

Tall Trees was good if I remember rightly, and sailors has a big underground club... I dont really rememeber many others...
  • Options
    Yea these names all sound familiar from the map of the place. We're staying at The Escape. Do you know it?
  • Options
    Nope... Dont remember the name of the hotel I even stayed in... it was right by the main beach though... about 30 seconds walk.
  • Options
    They all seem to be pretty close to beaches to be fair! But I defo want to go to Fristal beach sometime. Ooo I can't wait to go :yippe:
  • Options
    They all seem to be pretty close to beaches to be fair! But I defo want to go to Fristal beach sometime. Ooo I can't wait to go :yippe:

Are they! lol
    As I say, I dont really remember, it was a drunken blur of a week! Had an amazing time though, and im sure you will too!

Have fun!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Are they! lol
    As I say, I dont really remember, it was a drunken blur of a week! Had an amazing time though, and im sure you will too!

Have fun!

• Options
    are you surfing at The Escape - me and best mate are trying to organise 3 nights with surf lessons for end of summer - anyone know any bargains? Im 16 but hoping to get into clubs anyway - i look older.....my mate jack went there with fake id off the net which didnt look like hm n sed he was 24 - but he still got in even though blindingly obvious he is underage! lol
  • Options
    Newquay! I dont think i will be going there again!

The last time i was there was 3 years ago and i loved the place, but the place has changed so much! I went there with my girlfriend and althought during the day was good, the evenings were a complete nighmare- so many stag parties and generally a ludicrous ratio of men to women perhaps even as bad as 10 men to 1 women in some places! never seen anything like it!

Anyway im not a possesive kind of guy at all but this ratio breeds desperation from a lot of the guys and time and time again my girlfriend was being grabbed, groped and generally hassled right in front of me- it was a nightmare.

We were staying with my friend who lives in Newquay and he was saying that hardly any of the locals go out at all in Newquay now because its like this almost all year round and is no fun for either local guys (because of the huge lack of women) or girls (because they get hassled non stop through the night by groups of guys)

I couldnt believe it- it used to be such a cool place to hang out and party
  • Options
    I agree, don't bother with Berties unless it's your very last option. Sailors is quite fun, as is Barracuda on a good night.

This time of year they are quite strict on ID at most places, for example, I'm 21 and got ID'd four times on my last night out there. But, if you get into some places early enough it's not really a problem. Sailors has a pub aswell as the club, so if you get into the pub bit early enough there's a really good chance of getting into the club later on.

Also, there are loads of good bars, etc, quite a few of which you won't need ID to get into, most are very near the beach too, which is an added bonus!

Have a really fantastic time, let your hair down, and keep your eyes peeled for all the surfers :p:naughty:
  • Options
    how'd it go? where did ya get into?
  • Options
    paulcook04 wrote:
    how'd it go? where did ya get into?

Ah we havn't gone yet, we travel down later this week. So I'll answer that question in a couple of week's time! Thanks for asking though :)