Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mood Swings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just before my period I get terrible mood swings, were the slightest thing will just get me down for the whole day - I'm usually a really happy jolly person so people notice and ask what is wrong, and I am embarressed to say, especially if talking to an adult or a guy.

Does anyone know of any way to counter these mood swings, like anything I can take to balance my mood out, or any other tricks?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    i once heard somewhere that ur diet can affect ur mood. so if u get depressed eatin veg n healthy stuff is more likely to keep u feelin abit better. Not much more i can suggest unfortunately. I was on antidepressants for a while so if anything can keep up ur mood i'd like to know too!
  • Options
    well according to Gillian Mckeith (you are what you eat) you should take the herb 'milk thistle' 2 capsules a day three times a day, 4days before menstruation because it should help nomralise oestrogen levels. she says if nothing else, then take this supplement.

she also says that vitamin A and E has been shown to reduce pmt symptoms.

there are loads of others she suggests too but i cba writing it out sorry. hope that helps!
  • Options
    Just before my period I get terrible mood swings, were the slightest thing will just get me down for the whole day - I'm usually a really happy jolly person so people notice and ask what is wrong, and I am embarressed to say, especially if talking to an adult or a guy.

Does anyone know of any way to counter these mood swings, like anything I can take to balance my mood out, or any other tricks?

Thanks
    First of all its the hormones in your body that are causing the mood swings.

To help somewhat improve you mood swings during your period try & eat healthy taking in lots of vitamin & minerals.

Use antioxidants & actually zinc may be beneficial for women on there periods.
  • Options
    evening primrose oil along with a vitamin B6 supplement should sort you right out.
    Works wonders.
  • Options
    I've been a hormonal wreck for years - the pill didn't even straighten me out.
    Even at school and 6th form I'd tell my tutors that I'm 'hormonal' so they didn't give me gip for being mouthy - it always worked and they left me alone most of the time.

Most adults will just go 'ah, okay' if you say you're hormonal or whatever, it's nothing to be embarassed about! If someone asks why you're in a mood, just say 'women stuff' - they'll know exactly how to deal with it. :yes:
  • Options
    If you find as some women do, you come out in acne then supplement with 5g of vitamin b5. Its the safest yet effective way to clear acne up.
  • Options
    i get really bad mood swings where I cry so easily - i usually hardly ever cry - i never cry at films but couple of days bfor my period ill probably cry at eastenders - haha nah only jokin i dont watch that. anyway it seems my modd swings havent stopped when my last period came on and im still like it argh - ex's are bastards!!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    evening primrose oil along with a vitamin B6 supplement should sort you right out.
    Works wonders.

Was going to recommend evening primrose oil too. It really does work :)
  • Options
    Check out TheSite article on PMT and things to ease the symptoms. PMT