Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cholesterol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
High cholesterol seems to run in both sides of my family. Can high cholesterol be a genetic thing as my grandma had high cholesterol and worked really hard on a very low fat diet. And it only went down 0.1. My other grandma also had high cholesterol and i think my dad has it too - but my dad has a pretty crap diet.
It's just a bit worrying. How do you get tested for it anyway?

Comments

• Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    High cholesterol seems to run in both sides of my family. Can high cholesterol be a genetic thing as my grandma had high cholesterol and worked really hard on a very low fat diet. And it only went down 0.1. My other grandma also had high cholesterol and i think my dad has it too - but my dad has a pretty crap diet.
    It's just a bit worrying. How do you get tested for it anyway?
    Go to your Dr's & have the nurse test you, or usually in the High streets there are heart foundation trailers that do it for you.

Yes it is genetic. Exercise along with diet can lower LDL cholesterol & raise HDL cholesterol.
  • Options
    i have to get my blood pressure and cholesterol checked every month as it runs in my family and my dad suffered a heart attack at a young age. luckily my cholesterol is fine most of the time but my blood pressure flutuates, so go see the nurse at the gps and she'll let you know what the score is.
  • Options
    well as far as i know - no close relatives have had heart attacks. Though strokes seem to run in my mums side of the family, but they've always been at an old age.
    I heard you have to fast for 10 hours before you have a test. I'm tempted to get it checked, might ask my mum to get hers done too.
    My blood pressure is fine aswell.
  • Options
    i really wouldnt worry about it unless you have problems that could be related. you should be eating healthily anyway, and even if you got tested and were high a doctor would tell someone of your age to eat more healthily and that'd be it. they wouldn't put you on medication or anything.

i'm 23 and my doctor wont give me medication for my BP as he said if i start on it now chances are i'll be on it for the rest of my life...which i obviously dont want.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i really wouldnt worry about it unless you have problems that could be related. you should be eating healthily anyway, and even if you got tested and were high a doctor would tell someone of your age to eat more healthily and that'd be it. they wouldn't put you on medication or anything.

i'm 23 and my doctor wont give me medication for my BP as he said if i start on it now chances are i'll be on it for the rest of my life...which i obviously dont want.
    If your worried about bp try hawthorn berry & celery seed.
  • Options
    not into none of that hippy stuff thanks! have got it down naturally so not much to worry about, my doctor and i certainly aint anyway.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    not into none of that hippy stuff thanks! have got it down naturally so not much to worry about, my doctor and i certainly aint anyway.
    its not hippy stuff :rolleyes: im guna start shoving blackcurrant and green tea down you :p
  • Options
    I have high chlorestrol which is inherited from my dad, and his parents had it too. You can go to the hospital to be tested, i have an appointment in August to hopefully get some tablets which i will have to be on all my life to keep it low :(
  • Options
    Try something called red yeast rice for lowering cholesterol along side coq10.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I heard you have to fast for 10 hours before you have a test. I'm tempted to get it checked, might ask my mum to get hers done too.
    My blood pressure is fine aswell.

Despite the fact that it's something you shouldn't really worry about at your age...
  • Options
    You should be trying alternative ways to lower your cholesterol, not getting statin medications from this early on.
    Hope you dont like grapefruit-coz u wont be eating it again .