Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting back together with an ex - success stories?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone here has got back with an ex - particularly one who broke up the relationship in the first place - and made it work second time around. Most of the stories I've heard have been pretty negative - the same problems will still come up, you can't trust them, it falls apart again almost immediately etc etc - so I just wanted to know if anyone here can disprove the rule. As you may be able to guess...I'm considering taking my ex back but am not sure it's the right move, so just trying to weigh up pros and cons and get other peoples' perspectives.
Cheers all :)

Comments

• Options
    it never works... don't waste ur time. :no:
  • Options
    Like I said, I've heard all the negative stories. I only really want to hear positive ones. Maybe I won't get any replies but that's a chance I'm willing to take. I'm not having a go at you - just wanted to make myself clear.
  • Options
    I went out with my ex for a brief period back in 2004. He ended it - we eventually lost contact for about 9/10 months. Till he got in touch out of the blue. We caught up on each others lives and stuff and found out we'd been through similar stuff, and both still had feelings for each other. He really regretted ending it - i guess it just wasn't the right time. So tried again and been together nearly 7 months now and doing great.
    It was a long time apart which gave us time to experience stuff and grow up alot. I think thats whats helped us. Usually if you're only apart a short time before getting back together it doesn't work.
  • Options
    I've been back with exes in the past and its never worked :no:
  • Options
    I'm back with an ex of mine now... we were together for a few months about 4 years ago. It ended - well, I ended it - because he was in the army and I didn't see him as much as I wanted to. And we were young and all that.

Now, 4 years later, we get on better than we used to, we're both far m,ore grown up, and he's left the army so I can see him as much as I want!
  • Options
    I'm back with an ex of mine now... we were together for a few months about 4 years ago. It ended - well, I ended it - because he was in the army and I didn't see him as much as I wanted to. And we were young and all that.

Now, 4 years later, we get on better than we used to, we're both far m,ore grown up, and he's left the army so I can see him as much as I want!

My ex boyfriend is in the army as well, and we're young (17/18), and we broke up. Hope our story ends like yours has though because I wish he was back home again and we were back together :(
  • Options
    I was 16 and he was 18 when we first met, now he's 22 and I'm 20... it makes loads of difference. I hope it all works out for you!
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    Like I said, I've heard all the negative stories. I only really want to hear positive ones.

That's kind of pointless isn't it? If all you want to do is get some kind of confirmation that it's ok to take back an ex, you may as well just do it and find out for yourself. Clearly you must want to.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    That's kind of pointless isn't it? If all you want to do is get some kind of confirmation that it's ok to take back an ex, you may as well just do it and find out for yourself. Clearly you must want to.

I think the point is, you always hear stories about how getting back with exes never works. Presumably she wants to hear any positive stories that are out there to see whether it can work out. If no-one has a positive story to tell, chances are there's no point her trying it again. But as you can see from this thread, although there are people who had to post their negative experiences despite the OP asking for only positive stories, it doesn't always have to end in tears. Depends on the reason you broke up in the first place, I think, and like Ballerina said, how long you've been apart for.
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    Depends on the reason you broke up in the first place, I think

:yes:

it can work if you originally broke up just because of circumstance. Say if you went to different unis, or the army thing, or something neither of you could help.

If you broke up because of something one of you did, or was or said, then I'd steer well clear.
  • Options
    They're exes for a reason. Unless that reason has changed, then there is no point going back there.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    :yes:

it can work if you originally broke up just because of circumstance. Say if you went to different unis, or the army thing, or something neither of you could help.

If you broke up because of something one of you did, or was or said, then I'd steer well clear.

But do you think, if people do, are, or say something that ends up ruining a relationship, they can't change? Maybe the shock of losing something they care about could stop them ever doing it to you again....I don't know, I'm just wondering
  • Options
    I was 16 and he was 18 when we first met, now he's 22 and I'm 20... it makes loads of difference. I hope it all works out for you!

btw, thankyou! :)
  • Options
    But do you think, if people do, are, or say something that ends up ruining a relationship, they can't change? Maybe the shock of losing something they care about could stop them ever doing it to you again....I don't know, I'm just wondering

I'm sure some people can and do change, but a hell of a lot of people don't, not fundamentally, and personally I'd rather move forwards than move back.

Depending what they'd done, I'd just rather not even be with someone I knew had the capacity in them to hurt me.
  • Options
    Everyone has the capacity in them to hurt anyone else though surely? Or am I just a cynic...?
    Anyway, thanks to you all for posting. I wasn't looking for confirmation that it's "ok" to take back an ex - Wildchild pretty much summed up why I posted and what the results were telling me. I was just feeling very mixed up and wondered if I was being totally ridiculous in even considering it, and your posts helped me see I wasn't. As it happens though, I've decided against taking him back, at least for the time being. I do believe that if it's meant to be, we'll get back together - but for now, it wouldn't be the right thing for either of us because I wouldn't feel secure with him and I think he needs some time on his own to make sure it's definitely what he wants (and not just the knee-jerk reaction to being suddenly single I believe it could be). So thanks again to all of you who posted, I appreciated it and did take your experiences on board. :)
  • Options
    Believer

I don't care what people say, anything is possible when you set your mind to something and believe. A lot of people say, oh they can't get back together, not after what he or she has done, I'm sick of hearing logics speak their mind without the open mind of any possibility, all things are possible, mircales have happened and unexplainable events have taken place before our very own eyes, what makes getting back with an ex anymore impossible? Keep believing, but still live your life :)
  • Options
    Ive recently got back in touch with my ex from a few years ago (that I posted about a fair bit actually:blush:).

I cant say Im not enjoying talking to her again,its been really good to clear the air after the shitty way things happened between us,plus I realise Ive grown up a fair bit more since then (I hope anyway) but..........while I think I have changed personally,she hasnt.

One of the main issues and problems I had was the fact she slept around loads and was always telling me about her exes and what they got upto,and one of her issues (and her families too actually) was the fact I used to sniff,smoke and pop drugs.
    Ive been clean for over 2 years now,apart from a few spliffs here and there,but we were talking the other night and she was telling me how "bad" she was the last 2 years.....which means one thing really.

Now,Im not judgemental but Im personally not like that,sleeping around a lot probably because Im not a guy who can sleep with a lot of women (not for want of course,maybe Im jealous of her) but for me,knowing shes still doing her thing and hasnt changed I know theres no point us getting together again.

My mate said to me once,that you can fix a broken vase but the cracks will still always be there.

My opinion is that you break up with people for a reason and usually that same reason is why you stay broken up.
  • Options
    i dont think it works, either. i've tried to be back with ex three years ago, and we broke up again for only 2 weeks. you should understant why you two broke up in the past and ask yourself if it happens again, what will you do? can you bear him this time? or he can love you all the time? the root causes of your breaking up are playing an important part in getting back together with your ex.
  • Options
    Hello, just wanted to say I made this thread back in 2006 so I'm not looking for advice on this subject any more - thanks though :)

(If you are wondering...we did get back together and stayed together for another 2 years including living together for some of that time...but have been split up now for nearly 2 years after a very amicable and friendly split. So I guess it both worked and didn't work after all that!)
  • Options
    I know you said this thread was old but I am in the same situation now.

My boyfriend ended it out of the blue for no apparent reason and I want him back.

I am seeing him next week and hoping that he remembers how much he is letting go but if not friends it is. We are in uni and living together next year so we have no choice really. But I guess by going I have nothing to lose

Your story, although it didn't work out fully, gave me some hope. For me, there was never a problem anyway and his reason makes me think he is unsure. Hence my belief he may change his mind.
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote: »
    Ive recently got back in touch with my ex from a few years ago (that I posted about a fair bit actually:blush:).

I cant say Im not enjoying talking to her again,its been really good to clear the air after the shitty way things happened between us,plus I realise Ive grown up a fair bit more since then (I hope anyway) but..........while I think I have changed personally,she hasnt.

One of the main issues and problems I had was the fact she slept around loads and was always telling me about her exes and what they got upto,and one of her issues (and her families too actually) was the fact I used to sniff,smoke and pop drugs.
    Ive been clean for over 2 years now,apart from a few spliffs here and there,but we were talking the other night and she was telling me how "bad" she was the last 2 years.....which means one thing really.

Now,Im not judgemental but Im personally not like that,sleeping around a lot probably because Im not a guy who can sleep with a lot of women (not for want of course,maybe Im jealous of her) but for me,knowing shes still doing her thing and hasnt changed I know theres no point us getting together again.

My mate said to me once,that you can fix a broken vase but the cracks will still always be there.

My opinion is that you break up with people for a reason and usually that same reason is why you stay broken up.

im the same as you mate my ex has slept with more people then ive had sunday dinners lol i still talk to her now and again she tells me whats happened and she hasnt changed

i think ive changed ive grown up ive stop going with her bout 4 years now

we broke up cuase there was no trust and she cheated so now that i know what she like i wouldnt go back with her

btw its a good saying lol