Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

digital camera choices..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to buy a digital camera using my birthday money. I want to buy it today if i can, or at least order it so i can take it on hols with me on sat.

So i have a budget of about £200.

I want it to be very small, and have at least 6MP.

I have been looking for one that does those effects..but im not sure what its called lol I think black and white is one, and perhaps the other is something like negative/irredesant. I have looked and searched and looked at reviews and i just have no idea what im looking for.

Am planning on buyin a 1GB memory card too.

I just have actually no idea where to start and no one i know really has a good camera that i could say.. hmm mayb i'll start by looking at those.

So Help! !! please!!

Comments

• Options
    i wouldnt bother buying a camera simply because it has b&w and sepia effects! you can do that in about 2 seconds on a computer anyway with the right software.
    My gf has this camera

http://www.parkcameras.com/olympus/digitalcameras/mju_mini_digital_s_pink.htm
    (comes in silver as well btw)
    its only 5.0mp but its still really nice - why do you need 6.0mp? that will only bulk the price right up and you wont really be able to tell the difference anyway unless you're a trained photographer and really know your shit, in which case i doubt you would be asking advice on which camera to buy
  • Options
    picasa is a great program for organising photos and adding effects like you mentioned. Personally, I like fuji cameras, as they have a reasonably fast response time. :) For £200 I'm not sure what you'd get though.

MP terms, as long as it's above 3mp, wont show up on a screen really. The reason there are higher megapixel cameras is that when you print out large prints, if there is a low megapixel then it will come out fuzzy, and lose definition.

Here's a guide:
    Image Size  	Megapixels  	 Native Print Size (inches)
    4064 x 2704 	11.1 	         13.5 x 9
    3088 x 2056 	6.3 	         10.25 x 6.8
    3008 x 1960 	5.3 	         10 x 6.5
    2048 x 1536 	3.0 	         6.8 x 5.1
    1600 x 1200 	2.0 	         5.3 x 4**
    1280 x 960 	1.2 	         4.25 x 3.2
    640 x 480 	0.3 	         2.1 x 1.6

as you can see, with a typical desktop resolution being aroud 1280 x 960, then all the high resolution cameras are going to be scaled down for viewing on a computer anyway.
  • Options
    As has been mentioned, I wouldn't buy a camera because of some black and white or sepia / duotone mode, because you can do that in PSP or Photoshop on the computer, whilst maintaining the colour original.

The 200 pound might limit you from getting a top range model just now. You could maybe try and find some older cameras that are being replaced. For example the canon s3 IS has just come out recently, so I'm guessing that there might be a deal or two to be found on the Canon S2 IS, that was its predecessor, and a very capable camera.

www.dpreview.com has a lot of camera reviews and stuff.

Edit to add, as JST mentions, the A620 is meant to be good.