Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weight Lifting??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
ive been going the gym for a few months now and i was wondering what the best technique would be for building mucul and/or toneing up. ime asking because many of my friends have different preferences on weight lifting and i wanted to make sure ime doing it properly and not waisting my time.:confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    My best advice is to speak to someone in the gym coz they know the equipment best and can help you out.

Also, start eating lots of meat!! :D
  • Options
    In order to bulk up you need to eat & eat. Building muscle is controlled by how many calories you eat.

Also a tip I wish I had learnt is that less is more, so dont think you need to train 5 days a week for 2hrs to get big.

Welcome to the brotherhood of iron. :)
  • Options
    I'd do about 3 sessions a week for 1 hour each to start with.

High weights, low-medium reps.

Eat loats of good stuff.
  • Options
    dont really know much about this tbh but ive heard you shouldn't do the same muscles every day - correct me if im wrong...
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote:
    dont really know much about this tbh but ive heard you shouldn't do the same muscles every day - correct me if im wrong...

Correct, your muscles need periods of rest in order to recover and create new muscle tissue. Ask a member of staff at the gym to perhaps draw up a training program, or search google.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong but I wouldn't ask a member of staff at a public fitness gym. Alot of them may actually have qualification but they dont really have any idea when it comes to customising a routine.

How many PT have you seen give heavy basic exercises in there routine. If on the other hand you train at a privately owned 'hardcore' gym then that's where you will get the best information.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Don't get me wrong but I wouldn't ask a member of staff at a public fitness gym. Alot of them may actually have qualification but they dont really have any idea when it comes to customising a routine.

How many PT have you seen give heavy basic exercises in there routine. If on the other hand you train at a privately owned 'hardcore' gym then that's where you will get the best information.
    Yeah that's like asking someone in PC World for advise on computers. I would suggest having a look on some bodybuilding message boards and websites for information. I'm not at all into bodybuilding, but most of them tend to know far more about nutrition and exercise than any other group of people.