Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Fancying" people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This occured when brushing my teeth justnow.

Not like it matters, but..

What do you think the word "fancy" means?

I reckon it's banded about too much, like the L word.

I think you sort of need to know a bit about someone before you can fancy them. Like say I thought a girl at work was fit and she seemed dead nice when I talk to her and that, I'd be like "I think she's nice and I want to get to know her better", rather than "Ohhh I fancy her sooo much!"

Just like you can't actually fancy David Beckham or whoever off Big Brother.

But then I suppose as well it could be a physical thing, like when you've been married and say he's having impotence or something, she'd be "Does he not fancy me anymore?"

Weird word, innit?

Comments

• Options
    I always take it to mean I find a girl physically attractive, and get on quite well with her. I'd never say I fancy someone until I'd chatted to her for a while and got on with her. If it's just physical it's "I think she's quite hot." If it's just personality-wise, it's "I get on with her quite well." If it's both, it's "I fancy her." Simple.
  • Options
    I think it means "you would if you could" wink wink nudge nudge.
    You can think someones attractive without fancying them.
  • Options
    I think it means "you would if you could" wink wink nudge nudge.
    You can think someones attractive without fancying them.
    :yes: if i fancy someone it means i want to have sex with them.
  • Options
    I always take it to mean I find a girl physically attractive, and get on quite well with her. I'd never say I fancy someone until I'd chatted to her for a while and got on with her. If it's just physical it's "I think she's quite hot." If it's just personality-wise, it's "I get on with her quite well." If it's both, it's "I fancy her." Simple.

I'm like this. Currently, the person I fancy I get on well with...
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :yes: if i fancy someone it means i want to have sex with them.
    Oh I don't agree with that. There's load of people I'd like to have sex with that I wouldn't get on particularly well with. I just consider them people I'd like to fuck, a completely seperate category.
  • Options
    Fancy seems like a casual word to me. Just liking someone on appearance usually
  • Options
    Oh I don't agree with that. There's load of people I'd like to have sex with that I wouldn't get on particularly well with. I just consider them people I'd like to fuck, a completely seperate category.
    well for me if i think someone is hot and i'd want to have sex with them then i'd say i fancy them. there was a guy in my lecture i fancied the pants off, but i didn't actually know him. whereas if i had got to know him and wanted more with him then i'd say that i 'liked' him.
  • Options
    If I fancy someone, it's usually just a looks thing - not necessarily that I'd want to have sex with them, it's just that I think they're good looking.

If I got to know that person better and still fancied them, then I'd probably say I 'liked' them.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well for me if i think someone is hot and i'd want to have sex with them then i'd say i fancy them. there was a guy in my lecture i fancied the pants off, but i didn't actually know him. whereas if i had got to know him and wanted more with him then i'd say that i 'liked' him.

Yeah i partly agree with that. Dunno about just wanting sex with them but yeah i say fancying someone is based more on appearance and what you see and then as Lipsy says the next level up would be to say you "liked" them. Thats how i see it.
  • Options
    Totally different for me, I'd need them to get what I'm about personality wise, and vice versa, as well as wanting to like physically be with them.

It really does take a lot for me to fancy somebody.
  • Options
    Fancying someone means nothing though really. You can fancy loads of people i reckon .. but when you start to "like" someone then you know its something totally different to just fancying them ... and yes that made no sense what so ever :p
  • Options
    Yeah but then "like" really could mean anything.

I like biscuits. I like watching football. I like my team leader.

"I like this girl, once I get to know her better hopefully I'll fancy her"

Fancy therefore encompasses everything :yes:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

:D

These type of things are really so confusing, if you think about it too much and all these different words your just gonna go crazy.

To put it simply .. if you like someone .. then thats all that matters :thumb:
  • Options
    Fancying someone isnt wanting to have sex with them, in my opinion. Far from it.

It's the physical stuff, the attraction and wanting more than just looking at them. Like a relationship, which leads to the sex ;p
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Yeah i partly agree with that. Dunno about just wanting sex with them but yeah i say fancying someone is based more on appearance and what you see and then as Lipsy says the next level up would be to say you "liked" them. Thats how i see it.
    Same.:yes:
  • Options
    When i fancy someone i cant stop talking about them and think about them a lot. Obviously i find them attractive but its more than that. Its about some sort of connection you feel to that person. I think a lot of people are attractive but i dont 'fancy' that many.
  • Options
    If I think someone's physically attractive in a 'I'd do them' sort of way, then they're 'fit'.

To actually fancy someone, I'd have to know them.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

Fancy can also mean anything. E.g. I fancy a nice cup of tea. :razz:

I would say fancy was a physical thing. Whether you find them attractive. But it can be overuled later if they turn out to be mind numbingly boring or a total bitch.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    if you think about it too much and all these different words your just gonna go crazy.

I think that "fancy" means the same as "really like". If you say you like someone, that can mean either you think he (or she) is a nice person, or you like him on another level, whether that's a 'wanting a relationship with him' level or a 'wanting to have sex with him' level. Whereas if you say you really like someone, it's kind of implied that you like him as more than a friend.

It's really, really hard figuring out what you should be saying in a foreign language... especially like in French where "Je t'aime" means both "I like you" and "I love you". Don't want to say the wrong thing and have the other person run away because they think you're announcing your love for them!
  • Options
    I like someone right now and am slowly getting into the "fancy" mode which means I could totally see us having something swish.

I think he likes me too, he's been hinting like maaaaaaaaad. I've just noticed it recently since I told him about my disastrous date the other night and he's taken a big interest in my love life etc and he's been extra flirty.

Wheee! It's all exciting. I do love it when you start to fancy someone. :D
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    is it not acceptable to be interested in more than one person - especially when you're single? :yeees:

I think it is.

Although things could get messy very quickly if you get in too deep and there's overlapping feelings :yes:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Just while on the subject of fancying/liking people (to save me making a whole other thread)

is it not acceptable to be interested in more than one person - especially when you're single? :yeees:
    Yeah, nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't start going out with them at the same time or something. You can't help liking two people at once can you?

I've never been in the dilemma situation myself though. Usually when I like someone, I tend to be really into that one person (probably not a good idea really, until you at least know they're into you too). Or at least there's one that I like quite a bit more than the other, but that's because I don't find people I'm really into that often, so the chances of two coming along at once are quite minimal.
  • Options
    i think fancying is a word that started off in the playground and for some reason sticks with us until we're 30! its an over-used work if you ask me people use it to mean too much. you can meet somone for the first time and think you fancy them straight way or get to like them through time. is it possible to fancy your wife?

i dislike the word because i think saying "i fancy so and so" is a little bit childish, i prefer saying "i really like....'

but then thats just me.....
  • Options
    i dislike the word because i think saying "i fancy so and so" is a little bit childish, i prefer saying "i really like....'

but then thats just me.....

Nah i'm with you on that one. When talking to folk i know who are referring to someone they feel an attraction to no one says " i fancy such and such " we all say " i quite like her ". "