Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best Guitarist ever?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
who do you think? Hendrix?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Clapton.

No argument.
  • Options
    Probably someone we've never heard of because they couldn't write songs. But I'd have to go for Hendrix as well. Zappa's pretty good as well.
  • Options
    For pure technical ability, few can touch Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo Battio, Paul Gilbert and possibly Buckethead. In terms of innovation, gotta say Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.
  • Options
    There may be a slight bias here but I'll go for Jimmy rather than Jimi. He was absolutely immense - untouchable even - with Led Zeppelin up to 1973.

If anyone is interested, check out Tommy Emmanuel - he's superb. And Youtube has videos of Adrian Legg that are well worth watching.
  • Options
    There may be a slight bias here but I'll go for Jimmy rather than Jimi. He was absolutely immense - untouchable even - with Led Zeppelin up to 1973.

If anyone is interested, check out Tommy Emmanuel - he's superb. And Youtube has videos of Adrian Legg that are well worth watching.
    With a name like YouCrazyDiamond I almost expected your answer to be David Gilmour.

I hate this question, far too many guitarists in far too many different genres to choose from. Lets throw a spanner in the works, I'll say Slash.
  • Options
    For sheer ability, Eric Johnson. For sheer soul, Eric Clapton. For out and out bad-mother-fucker-ness, Warren Haynes.

Satch and Joe Bonamassa are killer combinations of all three.
  • Options
    David Gedge
  • Options
    There are too many to bring it down to just one, I say. Let's not forget Tom Morello!

Tom Morello is one of the best of the last decade or so.
  • Options
    Another Tommy Emmanuel video worth watching:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ryG1RR2qtLo
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Clapton.

No argument.

Clapton is God, that much is obvious. But Hendrix was his dark side.

Everyone else who has been mentioned in this thread is standing on the shoulders of these two Giants.
  • Options
    Bollocks. Clapton is a good, no, a great blues player but all you need to do is listen to the really old blues boys eg. Lightning Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson et al. and you realise that he's not doing anything that new. Sure he's great, but not that great.

Morello is an incredibly innovative guitarist certainly in terms of the sounds he could coax out of a guitar from an exceptionally minimalist setup. Dunno why I forgot him.

I find Slash's sense for inherently stunningly beautiful melodies just phenomenal. Occasionally he busts shit out that just boggles the mind. Just listen to the Live Era album recording of the end of Rocket Queen and you'll know what I mean.

Having seen Pete Townshend the other week has lead me to believe, having seen the man in concert that he is the best rhythm player I have ever heard which is really saying something. Some of the chords, harmonies and melodies that he can come up with are simply fantastic.

However, I reiterate, for sheer ability, no-one can touch Malmsteen or Michael Angelo.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Joe Bonamassa
    :love:

For me, Yngwie Malmsteen.:thumb: