Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Back Packing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well not now but sometime in the future i want to backpack around the world, alot of oldies allways say they wish they would want to packpack when they was young.

Now how much does it cost to set off/emergency money? I know you try and get work in the country (only bar work?)

Do you just pop in that country or have to have legal papers

and

Where would you go? i mean me personally wouldnt want to go to Asia etc, Where would u recomend.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Ticket wise you should get a round the world ticket, these work out pretty cost effective. Work wise it will vary from country to country but you usually need a working visa, this is all stuff that the embassy will inform you of. money wise just take enough for accomodation, but also some for emegencies, and make sure you 10000000% have travel insurance.

and don't dismiss asia out of hand completly I would say it is the best place to backpack as it is the cheapest, I had a friend who went to cambodia, and said it was the most life changing event of his life, make of that what you will.
  • Options
    I'd start off in Europe, get a feel for picking up random work as you go without having to worry about legal documents, and also safe in the knowledge that if things go wrong or you decide you hate the lifestyle you're only a couple of hours and a few quid away from home. If you do like it then get your round the world ticket like spartaalbion said and with the experience you'll have gained, the world is yours!

It's probably worth investing in one of the various books on gap years you can buy nowadays, which should cover practical aspects of backpacking like how to get permits and visas, how much money you'll need, etc.
  • Options
    Europe's fantastic. So much diversity and culture right on our doorstep.

If you're really itching to be a smelly backpacker somewhere further afield, then STA Travel generally have the best deals around.
  • Options
    Thanks Thunderstruck that site has helped alot! nice one.

I dont know if you know but it says u can teach english, easy for me, but they will speak Chinese and i dont have a clue what they say :/ so how does it work?
  • Options
    I dont know if you know but it says u can teach english, easy for me, but they will speak Chinese and i dont have a clue what they say :/ so how does it work?

People who come from abroad to teach English teach teenagers or young adults, and as everywhere apart from England starts teaching foreign languages in junior school, they're likely to speak quite good English to start with. You may well be practising their conversation skills and leading discussions rather than teaching grammar, but it depends what kind of place you end up teaching in.
  • Options
    I was look at the STA site, and they gave a rough idea off prices a day to live on.

Now i added them out, of every continent and basically if i spend 6 months away its £4360 (30days in the continent/islands) and 12 months is £8720 (60days in the continent/islands). Im guessing a few thousnand needs to be added for tax/airfare and presents, so lets say £8000 or £11000.

Is this alot?
  • Options
    Is this alot?

You're the only one who can answer that. Our concept of money depends a lot on a variety of factors:
    a) our upbringing (ie. someone from a single parent family where that parent works in a minimum wage job is going to view £100 differently from someone whose parents both earn £30k a year)
    b) our age (ie. someone who's just finished school and has never had to worry about paying rent, bills etc. will have a different concept of money from someone who's got a mortgage and a family to support)
    c) our lifestyle choices (ie. someone who enjoys clubbing will think nothing of spending £30 in a night on entrance and drinks, someone who likes opera will think nothing of spending the same amount on a ticket to the theatre)

If you want to backpack round the world then you should do it, no matter how much it costs, because you may well regret it in the future if you don't. Watch your money - cut corners where you can, ie. buying a round the world ticket rather than an individual ticket each time, as it will probably wind up cheaper. If there's something amazing you want to buy or do, then spend the money - there's no point going round the world and coming back with stories of "Well I could have done xxx but I didn't have enough money". But at the same time, don't waste your money on things you probably won't remember; if you're short on cash, don't feel you need to go out and party every evening - have a night in by yourself or invite friends round.
  • Options
    A full round the world ticket shouldn't cost you more than a grand.

And if you are going to places that are relatively cheap then you shouldn't need more than about £25 a day for everything.

I'd go to South Africa if I was you, its a fantastic country.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    A full round the world ticket shouldn't cost you more than a grand.

And if you are going to places that are relatively cheap then you shouldn't need more than about £25 a day for everything.

I'd go to South Africa if I was you, its a fantastic country.

I would argue you could do it even cheaper. But it depends what you want to do in the daytime. If you're happy just wandering around, looking at things, rather than going on excursions that cost money, you can survive in many countries on less than a tenner a day.

I have this vague idea of just going as far as I can without flying, eg get a coach to Paris (national express do special fares of £3) and just keep going, could get all the way to China before I'd have to fly anywhere/
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I would argue you could do it even cheaper. But it depends what you want to do in the daytime. If you're happy just wandering around, looking at things, rather than going on excursions that cost money, you can survive in many countries on less than a tenner a day.

Of course, I'm just going by my experience, I didnt really scrimp and save when I was out and about and in most places I still didnt spend £25 a day.
  • Options
    I recommend Barcelona

You'd get barwork/waiting jobs no problem. It's a fantastic city and you'd get to meet people from all over the world, including Africa - which would be great back-packing territory if Barcelona was your base.

Don't leave British soil without travel insurance

If you go to Africa - make sure you get all your shots - malaria is still a real threat.

Keep a journal of your travels - it's amazing how much you forget. Have photographs developed locally and write dates and locations on the back of them.

Find out what the local laws are in any new country you enter - and beware of using illigal drugs - the punishments can often be severe!