Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

barred from a job for being white

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've read this in a few papers, basically some chap aplied for a job at the Royal Pavillion in brighton - and they actually told him they wouldnt give him the place, not because he isn't qualified but because he isn't an ethnic minority of any sorts.....

i say pity on brighton council for possibly losing out on a good museum work - if they want more ethnic minorities, encourage them to apply, do employ degrotory tactics

this is what the MET would like to do by the way

another odd question, this sounds like a good case to take to court under the HRA

Comments

• Options
    I'd be rather sceptical about that because its actually racial discrimination and I doubt a council is going to lay itself open to a tribunal. Unless the job was something like ethnic minority liaison officer (or something) where they specifically want someone to outreach to a specific community where they can specify what ethnicity they want.
  • Options
    The majority of minorities seem to think that positive discrimination is a bad idea, just judging by what I've heard in interviews with members of minority groups. All it does is fuel racial tension and stop some people from getting a job that they may be really good at. Race could be a factor in getting certain jobs, (such as in the Police in an area with racial tensions) but it should only be a factor if it would give them an advantage in the job. In fact, the only jobs I can think of that should be allowed to specify race are actors and models (anything where image and look is a decisive factor in the job).

As for wanting someone from a certain community, then you advertise for someone with knowledge of local issues, and standing with that particular community. The colour of their skin shouldn't come into it. If the community is entirely of a particular race, then the chances are you'll end up with someone of that race doing the job anyway.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a link for this?
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. I have only read afew papers on it briefly and not found much detail. But going back to my university days when such things were debated, positive discrimination doesnt work, it is unfair and and for what i know of this case so far, i think the man should take the council to a tribunal over been discriminated against.
  • Options
    'positive discrimination' is only good for the people who wouldnt be able to get the job otherwise, and people who would of got the job without these stupid rules will still be seen to be token minorities
  • Options
    Ok maybe it shouldn't happend, but frankly, boohoo I didn't get the job cos I am white, how many people having an other colours of skin have been refused job this year... or eve the last week... it happends, it sucks, but at least now it happends to white people too, maybe it is a bit more equal... That's how I see it...
  • Options
    Ok maybe it shouldn't happend, but frankly, boohoo I didn't get the job cos I am white, how many people having an other colours of skin have been refused job this year... or eve the last week... it happends, it sucks, but at least now it happends to white people too, maybe it is a bit more equal... That's how I see it...
    Well I don't know the exact circumstances of this case, but it's a bit different to advertise for ethnic minorities only, rather than just having a racist twat in charge who won't hire anyone who's not white. Even a racist employer wouldn't expect to be able to say "you can't have the job you're not white" and get away with it, but somehow it's acceptable to say the same thing to a white person? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Well I don't know the exact circumstances of this case, but it's a bit different to advertise for ethnic minorities only, rather than just having a racist twat in charge who won't hire anyone who's not white. Even a racist employer wouldn't expect to be able to say "you can't have the job you're not white" and get away with it, but somehow it's acceptable to say the same thing to a white person? I don't think so.

Maybe that's why I started my post by it shouldn't happend ;)
  • Options
    It'd be shocking if it was true.
  • Options

the guy was told afterwards in the story, apparantly its legal because they're 'compensating' but i doubt it's legal

by the way thr job is to work at the royal pavillion at brighton as a museum guy
  • Options
    Nothing in the Brighton Argus
    http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/news/
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It'd be shocking if it was true.

Hardly.

Just as there are some jobs where only women are suitable.
  • Options
    Hardly.

I know, I was being facetious.
    Just as there are some jobs where only women are suitable.

Exactly, I wouldn't expect a white liaison officer any more than I'd expect there to be a male rape crisis counsellor.
  • Options
    Barring someone from a job because he is white? Racist!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Barring someone from a job because he is white? Racist!

Going off on one without reading the thread? Stupid!