Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Racist or not racist?

Sony just launched a new ad campaign for its new ceramic white PSP in Holland which depicts, in different billboards, the violent clashing of a white and a black woman:

sony_whiteiscoming_ad_large.jpg
sony_whiteiscoming_web_1.jpg
sony_whiteiscoming_web_2.jpg
sony_whiteiscoming_web_3a.jpg

The campaign has started racist accusations against Sony, and for the time, the ads have been removed from the official Dutch PSP site.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As long as its an even mix then what's the problem?
  • Options
    Never said there was a probem, was just asking what people would made out of it... I can see why some would take it as racism tho, the girls are quite agressive to one an other... Some might get easily offended...
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they didn't mean to be racist, but to be honest its a bit stupid and I can see why people might take it the wrong way
  • Options
    I dont think it was intended to be racist. However i dont think we'd be seeing an ad like that in a country like the UK or the USA.
  • Options
    as long as its not favouring one of them i don't see the problem
  • Options
    Well if you look there is only one when the black woman is agressive to the white one, all other ones it's the white woman who is agressive to the black woman...
  • Options
    It's a blatent publicity stunt tbh. But if they'd chosen to use two animals rather than people, then there wouldn't have been a problem, so I don't think it's particularly bad, just a bit stupid.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Renzo wrote:
    I dont think it was intended to be racist. However i dont think we'd be seeing an ad like that in a country like the UK or the USA.

I agree. They didn't mean it racist I guess - you can get black and white PSP's.

TBH - people over react alot. Political Correctness is an arse.
  • Options
    Not Racist to me!
  • Options
    its stupid and i think the success of the advert lay with 'black' being expertly photographed in her most 'true' position. in the posted shot she should be looking down by about a third, whilst 'white' is trying to getting her head tipped up. its badly done because white is doing a good job of being 'true' but 'black' isn't being so 'true'. it takes a great person to know what im thinking about here. :D

white in the first one is in an excellent pose it's like when player 2 in a beat-em-up does a combo and slides from offscreen right to left onscreen.

i'm not comfortable with them, if i was marketing exec i'd have made that work.. but i'd have to be paid lots and be at the shoot. it's a crap idea that could have had clout and resonance
  • Options
    Some might get easily offended...
    and thats the problem right there. whenever you mix cultures in anything, there will always be somebody who doesn't like it. tbh i think in this instance poeple who have marked it as racist are being overly sensitive. if it was the same thing, but man and woman - would it be sexist?
  • Options
    Or it could it be taken as fattist?

ds_ad.jpg
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Or it could it be taken as fattist?

ds_ad.jpg
    :lol:
  • Options
    damn, those chicks are hot.... sorry, what were we talking about again?
  • Options
    Sony have got there message across, perhaps not in the manner they intended, hands up who knew a white ceramic psp was coming out? not me so in that sense sony have achieved there aims by getting there product to the masses. The naiive side of me thinks that they didn't aim to do it in this way however the cynical side knows that the pc brigade loves something like this to get on the old high horse.
  • Options
    Both chicks are munters.

And there's nothing wrong with racism!! :yes:
  • Options
    danszig wrote:
    Both chicks are munters.

And there's nothing wrong with racism!! :yes:

:confused:
  • Options
    There is here, if you want to be racist find another message board. If you want to stay here re-read the rules you agreed to on joining, you'll find them at the top of each forum.