Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

been offered a new job for 2 weeks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, where i'm currently supposed to be working - loads of new waitresses have started in the past year, which is resulting in me hardly getting any shifts. I've only done 1 shift so far - and haven't been offered one for nearly 2 weeks now. But i enjoy it - when i'm actually there.
I've been offered a job for 2 weeks at an insurance company where my mums friend works. Doing filing, photocopying, faxing ect. Full time 9-5 thing - so the money will be good (not exactly sure what my rate would be). But office work really is not what i find fulfilling.
Should i go for it?

Comments

• Options
    might as well, will be more interesting than waiting on thats for sure, offices are usually quite fun if you are working with good people, and also you'll do a few different things rather than just a specific thing.

being basically a office junior doesnt pay too well, but it'll certainly be more than a waitress i would have thought.

go for it. better than no shifts.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    might as well, will be more interesting than waiting on thats for sure, offices are usually quite fun if you are working with good people, and also you'll do a few different things rather than just a specific thing.

being basically a office junior doesnt pay too well, but it'll certainly be more than a waitress i would have thought.

go for it. better than no shifts.
    hm, i really enjoy waitressing though, cause i'm not just carrying food about and the atmosphere is really good - everyone that comes in knows each other and its just nice and relaxed. It's not that bad pay though - i get £4 an hour which is over the minimum wage for my age.
    But if they're not giving me the shifts then i don't have much choice.
  • Options
    Go for it. You'll get more for those 2 weeks than you would for waitressing part time over the whole summer (summer isn't exactly the busiest time in the restaurant business). If you're lucky, they might not even offer you a shift throughout your new job. And surely most of the shifts they would offer you would be evenings and weekends anyway?
  • Options
    yeah i suppose i'd better go for it - the money would be quite good when totalled up - which'll give me pleanty to last the rest of my holiday.
    Just annoying that i'm not getting the shifts in a job i really enjoy and i'm having to go elsewhere for a while. Also that my friends are spoilt and don't have to work for their money :grump:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    yeah i suppose i'd better go for it - the money would be quite good when totalled up - which'll give me pleanty to last the rest of my holiday.
    Just annoying that i'm not getting the shifts in a job i really enjoy and i'm having to go elsewhere for a while. Also that my friends are spoilt and don't have to work for their money :grump:

have you rang up and asked why you aint getting any shifts? or taking shifts off people who dont want them?

when i used to work in a cinema our shifts were issued once a week and any you didnt want were put on a board and you could swap with them or take them if you want them. also if you ask they might be more inclined to give you a shift?
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    have you rang up and asked why you aint getting any shifts? or taking shifts off people who dont want them?

when i used to work in a cinema our shifts were issued once a week and any you didnt want were put on a board and you could swap with them or take them if you want them. also if you ask they might be more inclined to give you a shift?
    nope, but if im not offered one by the end of the week i'll ask
    well its only a tiny pub so all they have is a book and they just give all the regular girls the shifts first, and if they can't do any they get passed down.
  • Options
    Are you forced to pack in the waitressing job if you take on the office job? It's only a couple of weeks so could you not just turn down any waitressing shifts over the next two weeks that don't fit around the office job?

It probably won't be as boring as you think, and even if it is then it's only two weeks, and you'll know in future that office work definitely isn't for you. It'll be good experience in a different field to waitressing anyway, all looks good on a CV!
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Are you forced to pack in the waitressing job if you take on the office job? It's only a couple of weeks so could you not just turn down any waitressing shifts over the next two weeks that don't fit around the office job?

It probably won't be as boring as you think, and even if it is then it's only two weeks, and you'll know in future that office work definitely isn't for you. It'll be good experience in a different field to waitressing anyway, all looks good on a CV!
    well i could still do evening shifts at the pub if any come up - but it would mean i'm working more or less from 9am - 10pm. And i won't have any time to eat.
    Yeah, office stuff would look better - even though it's not what i want to go into. Suppose its an excuse to brag in my CV.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Yeah, office stuff would look better - even though it's not what i want to go into. Suppose its an excuse to brag in my CV.
    Most jobs ask for good organisational skills, and loads of jobs you wouldn't think of ask for administration skills, so office experience is usually useful whatever you want to go into.
  • Options
    Most jobs ask for good organisational skills, and loads of jobs you wouldn't think of ask for administration skills, so office experience is usually useful whatever you want to go into.

:yes: It shows you can deal with paperwork, filing etc.

I've worked at the same place since I was sixteen, and even though I've got experience on a few departments, I'd love to be able to put something completely different on my CV as well, show that I'm a bit more well rounded, if you see what I mean?

If you're dead set against doing it then don't, cos you'll just be miserable for two weeks, but like other people have said, it's probably a better alternative to taking a chance on being offered shifts at the pub - at least you've got a guaranteed wage for two weeks.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    :yes: It shows you can deal with paperwork, filing etc.

I've worked at the same place since I was sixteen, and even though I've got experience on a few departments, I'd love to be able to put something completely different on my CV as well, show that I'm a bit more well rounded, if you see what I mean?

If you're dead set against doing it then don't, cos you'll just be miserable for two weeks, but like other people have said, it's probably a better alternative to taking a chance on being offered shifts at the pub - at least you've got a guaranteed wage for two weeks.
    well ive accepted, it would be £5 an hour....but they've turned round and told me its not definate yet :rolleyes: