Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

USA meddles in Cuba

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5166806.stm

Spreading more democracy around the world by trying to force it on other states great work. :thumb: :yeees: Not. Im on Cubas side with this one i think.

Comments

• Options
    Simply more of the same in duplicitous Washington policy against Cuba, which has been firmly controlled by ex-Batista right wing hardliners since they and their brutal death squad loving government were rightfully ousted (the only real "liberation" that island nation has ever seen).

I doubt this will have any more impact on the true will of the Cuban people than any other Washington machination in the past half century.
  • Options
    What a pointless waste of time and money. Cuba is not going to change, they might as well just start buying the cigars. Every other American does so why not make it legal.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Im on Cubas side with this one i think.

Good for you.

Although I can't help but wonder what kind of a person can support a regime that jails its critics, has murdered political opponents and ruthlessly censors the press...Meanwhile this autocratic regime you're supporting is instead of embracing democracy seeking to transfer power from one dictator to another in a classical show of nepotism, Castro seeking to transfer power to his brother...Hmm, what a progressive individual you are. :rolleyes: By being on Cuba's side it should be clarified that you are on the side of Cuba's totalitarian regime - you evidently don't give a toss about Cuban democrats and Cuban critics of Communism and the atrocities that such a wicked ideology encompasses. While dissident Cuban journalists denied of freedom of speech sit in jails in the 21st century, the very idea of a free press is openly ridiculed by Castro's leftist Communist regime it is imo extremely noble of the US to generously fund efforts to boost democracy in Cuba.

By being with the Cuban regime on this one in opposing moves towards democracy I can only assume you think democracy is somehow unsuitable for Cubans which is an incredibly patronising if not racist view. The sooner Castro is dead the better, he's a mass murdering dictator - funny though that the left isn't interested in bringing Castro to justice. (Despite the fact that he has directly killed infinitely more people than say, Pinochet - in case of the latter, many victims were indirect victims of Pinochet being killed by the Chilean regime, in contrast to Castro, where as 'Great Revolutionary Leader' Castro ordered the deaths of thousands...Yet for much of the left Castro is a folk hero, not dissimilar I suppose to the coach loads of European fascists that flock to visit Mussolini's crypt in Predappio). - By indirect I mean in making the distinction between an individual member of government and the organ of government, for instance the Home Secretary in Britain would not be held directly responsible for an act of brutality in a prison cell.
  • Options
    Good for you.

Although I can't help but wonder what kind of a person can support a regime that jails its critics, has murdered political opponents and ruthlessly censors the press...Meanwhile this autocratic regime you're supporting is instead of embracing democracy seeking to transfer power from one dictator to another in a classical show of nepotism, Castro seeking to transfer power to his brother...Hmm, what a progressive individual you are. :rolleyes: By being on Cuba's side it should be clarified that you are on the side of Cuba's totalitarian regime - you evidently don't give a toss about Cuban democrats and Cuban critics of Communism and the atrocities that such a wicked ideology encompasses. While dissident Cuban journalists denied of freedom of speech sit in jails in the 21st century, the very idea of a free press is openly ridiculed by Castro's leftist Communist regime it is imo extremely noble of the US to generously fund efforts to boost democracy in Cuba.

By being with the Cuban regime on this one in opposing moves towards democracy I can only assume you think democracy is somehow unsuitable for Cubans which is an incredibly patronising if not racist view. The sooner Castro is dead the better, he's a mass murdering dictator - funny though that the left isn't interested in bringing Castro to justice. (Despite the fact that he has directly killed infinitely more people than say, Pinochet - in case of the latter, many victims were indirect victims of Pinochet being killed by the Chilean regime, in contrast to Castro, where as 'Great Revolutionary Leader' Castro ordered the deaths of thousands...Yet for much of the left Castro is a folk hero, not dissimilar I suppose to the coach loads of European fascists that flock to visit Mussolini's crypt in Predappio). - By indirect I mean in making the distinction between an individual member of government and the organ of government, for instance the Home Secretary in Britain would not be held directly responsible for an act of brutality in a prison cell.

Yeah i love the idea of murdering people Dis thats me in a nutshell :thumb: Im a total totalitarian fuck this UK shit im moving to Cuba. *rolls eyes*
    I dont see what right the good ol US of A has to go in and try and change a states government. Especially to a 'Democracy' which the USA isnt exactly the best of is it?
    Though im not even sure why im asking this to a man with President George W. "Im a total fucking cunt" Bush in there av....because HES such a valuer of democarcy isnt he? A man who stole and election, a man whos stealing his peoples freedom. hmmm....sounds like the USA is a bit totalitarian itself... Hell it supports the totalitarian regimes that suck up to it. Uzbekistan anyone? This is mearing happening because Old Uncle Sam sees Cuba as a 'baddie' It has allies that have done much worse.

Hell why doesnt the USA invest that Money into its health system rather than letting its citizens die of disease and illness...unlike Cuba with a full National Health Service.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    (Despite the fact that he has directly killed infinitely more people than say, Pinochet - in case of the latter, many victims were indirect victims of Pinochet being killed by the Chilean regime, in contrast to Castro, where as 'Great Revolutionary Leader' Castro ordered the deaths of thousands...Yet for much of the left Castro is a folk hero, not dissimilar I suppose to the coach loads of European fascists that flock to visit Mussolini's crypt in Predappio)

So... just because he didn't order it it isn't his Fault?

Hitler didn't directly order the deaths of the millions he is responsible for... so by your method... he is actually one of the best of the 20th century's totalitarian leaders as opposed to one of the worst up there with Pol Pot...

You are quite odd!

Anyway. If you can't see how Castro has been GOOD for Cuba... and you want the country full of corruption and poverty and abuse.... just like it was BEFORE when the US had there way before Castro...

Many Cubans disagree. The US has no right at all. About time they realised that - just because Mother Russia isn't defending Cuba now.

You know in Cuba... ANYONE at all can run for election... you can vote at 16... its amazing.
  • Options
    I have never been to Cuba but I'm dying to. My advice to others is: go there before the US intervenes- which it will, sooner or later- and 'liberates' the island converting it into another McDonalds-infested soulless holiday resort for the Florida set and run by the vultures who've been lurking in the shadows from Miami for years.
  • Options
    Call me an old fashioned liberal, but I tend to boycott one party states. Once it opens its doors to multi-party democracy I'd love to go.
  • Options
    It must be hard not being able to travel to half the countries on earth... :eek:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It must be hard not being able to travel to half the countries on earth... :eek:

Not really - I just choose my holidays wisely.

Italy is good for skiing, India is warm, cheap and democratic, and at least two of those attributes also hold to South of France.
  • Options
    Canada is a nice place to visit i here...
  • Options
    Most nations are. Even if their regimes are less than perfect.

I personally don't care whether the countries in question democracies or not. Some democracies are far worse than other non-democracies anyway. There are some nations I would not want to visit but my decision would be based on their actions not their governing system.
  • Options
    But surely a major action is imprisoning dissidents, stifling a free press and refusing to hold elections?
  • Options
    I was thinking more in the line of genocide or repetead war crimes.

In any case, given the appalling economic situation the Cubans are in (thanks to an unspeakable boycott and 40 year campaign of hatred by a certain neighbour) you are doing good by visiting Cuba and spending money there. Well, not so much if you go to a pretty resort and don't even venture out of it- but if you take a proper holiday and spend time with the Cubans, you're doing the right thing.
  • Options
    Castro is just as much of a scumbag as Che was.

Make no mistake, Guevera was a totalitarian of the very worst sort.
  • Options
    Really? Did he have women raped by dogs, tortured tens of thousands, brought down democratically elected governments and fucked the poor?
  • Options
    He established concentration camps (which imprisoned people for being homosexual, amongst other things), worshipped Stalin and had nothing but contempt for liberty and democracy.

Sadly the cult of Che persists. His face is totalitarian iconography as repulsive as the swastika or the hammer and sickle.
  • Options
    Other than the 'Stalin worshipping' it sounds like your average right wing dictator.
  • Options
    I'm glad you agree with me. Che was a monster.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Castro is just as much of a scumbag as Che was.

Make no mistake, Guevera was a totalitarian of the very worst sort.

Che was a though and through Stalinist. After Krushchev, Che became dissilusioned with the USSR.

Yup, so he wasn't a great chap. But I hold in great respect for one thing - he stood up and was willing to fight for his beliefs. I hold people like this is respect regardless - Militant religous people, no. They are just brainwashed, at least 90% of the time.

But someone who believes in a cause and fights for it to the death - even Nazis, Stalinists, Fascists, whatever - a true believer - a rare breed. Che also did alot of good in the world, don't forget - he wasn't just a revolutionary - he helped thousands of people.

I would personally though like to rip the eyes out of every fucking teenage wankstain who wears a Geuvara shirt. Fucking tossers. Che himself would not approve - they are making money out of his image. May they be burned.
  • Options
    rect-checap-sand.jpg
  • Options
    I'm glad you agree with me. Che was a monster.
    Shame then you have chosen in the past to defend the likes of Pinochet as a necessary character instead of denouncing him as a monster.