Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Honour Among Thieves or Just Good Business Sense

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum had her purse stolen from her trolley in Tesco's today as she was reaching for something on the shelves ...

Later they found the thief has taken the handbag but thrown her cars and house keys and diary on the floor of the car park

The management said someone's purse is stolen in the store every week and there's no camera's in this store

Do you think they dumped the keys and diary because they were being semi-kind or because it means the most important items which would be no use to a thief unless they stole her car were left behind so the customer would be less likely to make a huge fuss at Tesco's and thus do something about it like introducing cameras in the store (i.e. good business sense?)

Comments

• Options
    Is this a conspiracy theory of yours? Tesco is stealing purses but leaving keys so their owners aren't as pissed off about it?

Just a lesson to keep an eye on your valuables really.

And there is no honour among thieves.
  • Options
    maybe they left the keys because nicking a purse with a bit of cash in it(although not the nicest thing to do) is not as bad as stealing a 10 thousand pound car that could easily be traced.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is this a conspiracy theory of yours? Tesco is stealing purses but leaving keys so their owners aren't as pissed off about it?

Just a lesson to keep an eye on your valuables really.

And there is no honour among thieves.

Don't be dumb

is it good business sense for the THIEVES to dump the items the customer would really get angry about losing, like house keys & car keys and their personal diaries with their friends numbers and contact addresses so they can keep operating in that store

If customers are losing those then Tesco's would recieve a hell of a lot more complaints at head office wouldn't they and then they might have to actually do something like install cameras which your average thief isn't going to be happy about
  • Options
  • Options
    is it good business sense for the THIEVES to dump the items the customer would really get angry about losing
    OK I get it now...

No, I don't think that thought ever crosses an opportunist thief's mind.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    OK I get it now...

No, I don't think that thought ever crosses an opportunist thief's mind.

That's just it they said at least 1 purse is stolen per week from that store ... probabaly the same person every week coming back time and time again and perhaps being smart enough to know if they just take the money people will chalk it up to experience and let it go ... but if they steal the keys and diary then there's a chance the person will think ... great now I have to get my front door locks changed (which would be a pricey expense) and something they'd want to really complain about to Tesco's... perhaps eventually leading to them fitting cameras.

My mum doesn't have any credit or debit cards - so hard to say what they would have done with those if they'd found them.

There is a security guard there but they're no use unless a thief is making it obvious and making a run for it and even then I doubt they'd do much to stop them.
  • Options
    Surely it's just that the risk for breaking into a house and/or stealing a car is much greater than that of snatching some cash?
  • Options
    Surely the bloody store would put in security cameras if there really is that much theft going on in THEIR store. But then again it is Tescos- I'm allowed to slag them off- I work for them :)

I suppose the money aspect of installing several cameras in such a big store would be expensive though, but it depends on what they care about the most- customers, or money.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Surely the bloody store would put in security cameras if there really is that much theft going on in THEIR store. But then again it is Tescos- I'm allowed to slag them off- I work for them :)

I suppose the money aspect of installing several cameras in such a big store would be expensive though, but it depends on what they care about the most- customers, or money.

It is one of their older and smaller stores so no cameras as far as I can tell.

And the cost of installing camera once it's already been built would be quite expensive I'd imagine.

Plus they offered nothing by way of compensation to my mum so they've not lost anything in money terms and I'm sure they know they're the only semi big supermarket in the area so they don't need to worry about customers going to the competition.

I'm sure the management probabaly keep it quiet from head office - but whoever runs the store doesn't fill out an incident report everytime a purse is stolen - or do they? Maybe someone who works for a supermarket can tell me?
  • Options
    It's really good that they've offered you the compensation :)

I honestly don't know about incidence forms, I'm just a mere internet shopper lol. Sorry!
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    It's really good that they've offered you the compensation :)

I honestly don't know about incidence forms, I'm just a mere internet shopper lol. Sorry!

Naah you misread - they didn't offer any compensation

"they offered nothing by way of compensation"
  • Options
    Naah you misread - they didn't offer any compensation

"they offered nothing by way of compensation"
    Oops. Sorry, it's late for me is my excuse :(
  • Options
    I am thinking that he was just rooting through the bag and throwing out bits of no use. Liklihood is car would be easier to trace, would take longer to steal and would attrract bigger punishment if caught, plus he/she probably couldn't drive.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I am thinking that he was just rooting through the bag and throwing out bits of no use. Liklihood is car would be easier to trace, would take longer to steal and would attrract bigger punishment if caught, plus he/she probably couldn't drive.

Funny you say he .. in my mind I always imagined it was more likely to be a woman thief .. i.e. handbag and all wouldn't look out of place.
  • Options
    thieves dump what is of no use to them.
  • Options
    If they dumped all the stuff in the car park then chances are they were doing it from the door of their own car.
    Which in turn might mean that they didn't wan't to risk leaving their car behind.