Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

everyones probably bored with these q's...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, i know theres a few threads already on bank charges but i couldnt find the info i was looking for so i would really appreciate your thoughts.

ok so my bank took off a service charge from my bank (apparently i get these now because i have a royalties account! even though i didnt ask for one, they just automatically changed it!) so anyways, they took off the charge and because they did i went overdrawn by 73p, so they charged me a£28 bank charge because i went overdrawn (even though it was them that went overdrawn on my account!) im so mad!

whats my case for a refund do you think?! i wish i'd noticed earlier so i could phone them, im so mad!! :mad:

thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Depends how good a customer you are and how often you've done it before.

Scribe them a letter and find out. No harm in trying.
  • Options
    ive never done it before and i've been a customer since i was a baby, i thought i read somewhere on here that they couldnt legally charge you if the charge was more than the amount you're overdrawn? considering it was them in the first place surely i have more than one leg to stand on?
  • Options
    ah yes, i just found it, according to kermit penalty clauses arent legally enforceable if the penalty is more than the cost of the breach to the other party. anyone tried this when arguing with the bank?
  • Options
    yes, and I got a stern letter back stating that they can simply close my account down if I do not like it
  • Options
    i just read that you said that in kermits original thread, that's shocking! i will be phoning my bank tomorrow and i will seriously consider changing banks if they don't refund me, i have 3 accounts with them and on one of the others i have an overdraft which costs me money every month in interest so its not like im not a good customer to them, and this has never happened before.
  • Options
    If they changed your account without notifying you, then play on that. They can downgrade your account and remove the charge. Just keep ranting til they do it, even ask to speak to a manager if you have to.
  • Options
    yeah thanks for the advice, im just so mad! any advice on how to play it on the phone? will i start of nicey nicey and hope they like me? dont want to go on mad and then they just be awkward cos im annoyed, if you know what i mean?
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    ah yes, i just found it, according to kermit penalty clauses arent legally enforceable if the penalty is more than the cost of the breach to the other party. anyone tried this when arguing with the bank?

I'VE NOT TRIED IT WITH THE BANK BUT IT WORKS Wwith the Inland Revenue :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    is it the royal bank of scotland by any chance? They did that with my account automatically upgraded it to a royalties without informing me. I rang the branch and the woman got it all changed for me and everything was fine.
  • Options
    is it the royal bank of scotland by any chance? They did that with my account automatically upgraded it to a royalties without informing me. I rang the branch and the woman got it all changed for me and everything was fine.

yeah it is, i will ask them to change it back im just mad that this has happened, they changed 2 of my accounts to royalties, its the savings acc that they have put the charge on, i only had £6 in there cos i took my money out a few months ago and havent used it since, im annoyed aswell because if the money wasnt there for their service charge (which i didnt know they were going to take) how can they just take it then charge me because im in overdraft that i dont have?!
  • Options
    well just to let you know i phoned my branch today and they are refunding me the charge, and the royalties service charges so im happy now :)
  • Options
    Told ya! Well done :)
  • Options
    Moneysavingexpert.com have some good advice re bank charges and claiming them back.