Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

consuelling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where do you get consuelling? and does it cost anything, if so how much?

i didnt know where to put it on here so my problem is to do with relationships so i put it, sorry if its the wrong place.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    id imagine your GP would recommend you for it, or maybe if you're at uni they have a concillor?
  • Options
    Yeah, uni's and schools and the like have councillers. I think that if you want one outside of that, it has to be recommended by a GP, rather than just requested. Otherwise, I would reckon that you'd have to pay. Cheap alternatives: A good friend, phonelines like the Samaritans, The Site.
  • Options
    If you want to go on the NHS- health related, then go and see your doctor- you'll be put on a list if there aren't spaces at the mo prob. It's free on the NHS.
  • Options
    thanks yeah i go to college so had an idea there could be one there so will enquire - problem is we have just broken up for holidays. All my friends know about this but when im around them i put on a brave face - this problem is too big for one of them to sort out - i wouldn't wanna put the burden on them - they always try and make me feel better and they do when im with them - but when im alone it just doesnt work.

thanks
  • Options
    Hi Jenni,
    Don't worry about posting your question here as it's related to relationships, but you might find looking at the Health board useful :) There are some articles that cover counselling and whether it would suit you that you might want to look at on TheSite.
    There are also some useful links on the page that you might want to check out.
    Like the others have said you can be referred by your GP on the NHS for free.
    Hope that helps.
    Take care,
    xx
  • Options
    Most University counselling services do not operate over the summer, not even to staff or those students studying over summer (like MSc or PhD students).
  • Options
    is it specifically relationship counselling you want, or counselling about other stuff too?

Relate are the people who do relationship counselling, although yu have to pay for that. If you want free counselling, you could go through something like the youth enquiry service, or find out about your college counsellors, or even ask your doctor. I had counselling arranged through my doctor, and although there was a long wait, I found it really good.
    Ive also been to Relate before, and although it didnt actually keep my relationship together, i can see how it would have really helped some people.
  • Options
    or you could see a cuntsellor privatly / find one off the bacp website (put 'bacp' into google)
    i think prices range about £30-£40+ per hour. (a total rip off, i know)
    or yeah. if you are in education & broke you could may be see one for free short term at your college if one is avaliable.
    i'd also say you need to be very careful about who you see though too, don't just settle on someone who is crap at doing their job.