Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

To whom it may concern...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in the process of sending off about a million copies of my CV in order to try and get myself a job ready for starting uni.

Now, this might be a daft question, but how is best to address the envelopes? For bigger places (supermarkets etc) I think I'm pretty safe going with 'personnel manager', but I'm not sure for smaller places, like high street shops? Store/shop manager? Just the name and address of the shop? Does it even really matter? :/

Comments

• Options
    I would give them in yourself in person.

Or do you mean your applying for jobs to start in september, which will be away from home?
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    Or do you mean your applying for jobs to start in september, which will be away from home?

:yes:

I'm planning to go to the city sometime over summer anyway, and look for any other jobs that might be going, but I want to post some CVs off straight away and hopefully get in there before all the other students.
  • Options
    I'd address it to the manager unless I knew who the manager was. If it was a large place I'd address it to the HR manager.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I'd address it to the manager unless I knew who the manager was. If it was a large place I'd address it to the HR manager.

Hah, you've practically done my whole application for me! Cheers :thumb:
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Hah, you've practically done my whole application for me! Cheers :thumb:

It'll be up to you to do the interview though. :p
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    It'll be up to you to do the interview though. :p

I'll send you a wig. It'll be fine. :D
  • Options
    Phone them up and ask for the name of the Store Manager. Then address it to them personally. It'll make a difference.
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:
    Phone them up and ask for the name of the Store Manager. Then address it to them personally. It'll make a difference.

Just from my own experience, I asked for the manager by name at a shop, said I was interested in a job, he said there werent any available - a week later he phoned up and offered me a position!

Compared to when I've just asked random people for a job, they just ignored me. But when he phoned up he was on first name terms and everything :). Hehe.
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:
    Yep that is what every careers adviser has ever told me to do.
    Also go to some of the supermarkets, they usually have a little notice board with vacancies.

If you can get in touch with a company a month or a few weeks before the other students start applying, you'll get a head start.
  • Options
    Yep that is what every careers adviser has ever told me to do.

Yep. I've worked in retail a while and you do get a few people phone and ask for the name of the Big Boss for that reason. I've also done a fair bit of recruitment and if they manage to find out that I interview (even though I'm only a Duty Manager) and address the cv to me they're already earnt one brownie point.